Things that aren't in the manual that you found out by accident

I'll start

• Being able to notch down to 0 / Reverting power handle to 0 by holding down the Right-Shift key and then the decelerate key (and in reverse to accelerate)
  • Being able to manually add and remove end of train marker flags!
  • Thanks 7
  • I agree 4

The thing with shift key (left or right) on EU07: you can hold it and press the controller keys (num + or num -) to quickly rotate your wheel to 0 resistance positions, where shunts are possible, which means you can immediately switch to max or to idle positions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

yeah, the EU07 / EP08 was what the fast move function was added for, 

Moves the power wheel round to notch 28, or 43, or back to 28 and to zero.. gotta remember you need to pause in notch 1 before wanging the wheel round to notch 28. 

But this also works in the pendolino you can do the same key combo to move the power lever all the way to zero (and i think full power) <oh bod, i've just admitted that i've driven one now... it was only once, honest, and i did it to test my kindle drivers timetable i'd just made> 

There's also the fast move to running position for the brake lever, this is a dedicated key tho,
but some people don't know about that too.... nor that you need to press and release the apply key once... which moves the brake lever into the apply portion of the levers range, then you can press and hold the apply key and the lever moves round slowly, 
Press and hold the apply key without the first step and the lever flies all the way round.

::::::::::

I've also just learnt that the battery charge source switch in the EU07 / EP08 works now, it's that big knife switch under the small flap next to the hot plate/ring, 
It is supposed to be used to apply external power to charge the batteries up when parked in the shed, but operating it whilst running will kill the battery power, so the volt meter goes to zero and the lights go out if you use it whilst driving!

• Like 4

ET25: "odlicz metry" button in the left and right screen counts down the train length of the consist. 

ET25: Didnt found it out by accident but someone told me in the Forum. The "Hamowanie ED" button shuts off the electric brake which is very usefull for neutral section when you need to brake

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, sf_giants15 said:

ET25: "odlicz metry" button in the left and right screen counts down the train length of the consist.

Oooo, that's useful to know, bet it's not as funny as the Taurus loco though that uses the roadrunner, 'meep, meep' as the train length countdown sound 🤣

• I agree 1

vor 4 Minuten schrieb DazT:

Oooo, that's useful to know, bet it's not as funny as the Taurus loco though that uses the roadrunner, 'meep, meep' as the train length countdown sound 🤣

its sounds like you forgot to acknowledge SIFA or a Signal and then you press Spacebar like a maniac until you remember that you have pressed this button 😂

Edited by sf_giants15
  • Haha 3
  • I agree 1

16 godzin temu, sf_giants15 napisał(a):

ET25: Didnt found it out by accident but someone told me in the Forum. The "Hamowanie ED" button shuts off the electric brake which is very usefull for neutral section when you need to brake

You may give power to the network while in neutral section, you just must not take power from the line then.
Its mainly used abroad (in Czech for example) because "no one knows who should pay for this returned power" 😉

• Like 4

On 6/2/2023 at 7:10 AM, DazT said:

I'll start

• Being able to notch down to 0 / Reverting power handle to 0 by holding down the Right-Shift key and then the decelerate key (and in reverse to accelerate)
  • Being able to manually add and remove end of train marker flags!

I never knew about end of train marker flags! Are they different from those red and white square metal signs at the end of last freight car?

4 hours ago, Zulnex said:

I never knew about end of train marker flags! Are they different from those red and white square metal signs at the end of last freight car?

The very same. It seems you can only put them on some of the passenger coaches, doesn't always seem to work, don't know if that a bug or intentional, but you'll regularly see me now put them on the back of an EC I'm driving in daylight hours as part of my train prep/walkaround.image.thumb.png.61fcdbf34ecd6d43f46ac39dd729b3aa.png

Edited by DazT
  • Like 3

Being able to use the windshield washer to remove the flies on the glass is something that I would have never expected to be simulated until somebody mentioned it on the forums. I spent the playtests being angry at devs that they made loco window textures with a black spot in the middle just to screw up my OCD.

• Haha 4

That's actually how I found out as somehow I'd pulled into Grodzisk the other week, got out to stretch my legs and take some photos and noticed one on the front. How it got there though, don't know, I must have clicked it and never noticed. 

Edited by DazT

47 minutes ago, DazT said:

That's actually how I found out as somehow I'd pulled into Grodzisk the other week, got out to stretch my legs and take some photos and noticed one on the front. How it got there though, don't know, I must have clicked it and never noticed. 

Almost want to say the AI can do it. Supernoob had a glitch that kept making the train drive in reverse and the AI would control the wrong end of the cab on a EU07 and instead of marker lights, he went 3rd person and there were the flags on the end of the loco

blimey,  SimRail is getting more and more realistsic, 
glad i made the update to my signs and signals guide to add the train light settings, as it look's like we will have more than just setting the left headlamp to red when traveling on the left track.

On 6/3/2023 at 2:23 PM, b_____g said:

You may give power to the network while in neutral section, you just must not take power from the line then.
Its mainly used abroad (in Czech for example) because "no one knows who should pay for this returned power" 😉

I think it’s a false statement, are you sure? I used the dynamic brake once with a Taurus under a neutral section at night, and it was like a lightning out there 😅 

2 hours ago, TNH said:

I think it’s a false statement, are you sure? I used the dynamic brake once with a Taurus under a neutral section at night, and it was like a lightning out there 😅 

I still don't get how the Polish neutral sections work because most other European counties (on AC ones at least), you shut off, operate the VCB (either manually or by automated means as done here in the UK) and the neutral section has a ceramic or polymer insulator along a given length of the contact wire and is quite noticeable in its presence, in that if you were braking on the ceramic part it'd do nothing, only when you ran off or onto the live part would it arc either under load or regen braking. 

Not sure if it's just the way it's drawn in game, but it just looks like a normal run in and run out of catenary to my eyes. 

• SIMRAIL Team

The neutral sections (in Poland) may be there because of a section isolator, a "run in and run out" of catenary, or in a place where the catenary is so damaged it could break from heat generated when some higher currents flow through to the pantograph. You always set the power controller to "0" when passing the neutral section, but you can still use dynamic braking there. There are some of section isolators that "hit" you when accelerating through them (we know them from the track knowledge) that are not marked, and some neutral sections marked "just in case", placed right in the middle of a platform, so you always take high currents on them and nothing happens yet. For the "run in and run out" parts, one of them might have perfect 3.6kV voltage and you'd accelerate happily there, and the other one might have a heavy cargo train trying to make its way up a hill, with 2.3kV in catenary there. You'd both have a hell of a surprise if you'd meet in the lower voltage section with both of you using a lot of power, as the voltage would drop so low the power station will shut off for a minute or two.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • I agree 2

On 6/4/2023 at 4:13 PM, Dolphin Invasion said:

Some Locos too

Capture.PNG

Don't tell the "children", but if you're a dispatcher you can go out and put them on and take them off trains as well, but shush, don't tell the trolls. (Found out by accident, well, more intentionally when I was working Bedzin early and looped an AI freight and a moment of "I wonder..............." come over me and I nipped out for a little walk.)

Edited by DazT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

The air conditioners sound works in the IC carriages, 

Turn the train heating switch on then walk back along the train, and as you get close to the air intake grills on the sides of the carriages you will hear a high pitched whine, which i presume is the air con compressors or the fans running.

cycling through the camera views with number 4 key so you are looking inside on of the carriages near the middle and you'll hear the sound too.

Turn the heating switch off, and the carriages are quiet again. 

• Like 6

The sound i hear could be inverter / converter whine,   aparantly the 'head end power' is 3kV DC sent down the jumpers to the carriages, there it gets changed to the lower voltage and to AC as needed. 

In the uk i think we varied from 800 volts single phase AC, and 415 volts AC 3 phase to power the electric carriage heating and the kitchen equipment (water boilers, grills, microwave, hotplate etc) ... that was in the HST trains, tho the voltage dropped to about 276 volts per phase when the power car's engine was idling, going back to 415 volts when it was at full speed.