More Train Description Info

The last weeks i observed that many dispatchers including me are misjudging the speed and acceleration of trains especially of freight trains.

Therfore i think additional information under the "Train description" tab (as shown in the picture below) would be very handy.

Train Description Sugestion.jpg

• I agree 6

• 2 weeks later...
vor 10 Stunden schrieb Sparkles:

Under train route, you can quite easily figure out the vmax, but I agree

It´s actually not that easy.

1. You have to know the distance between stations.
2. Depending on the distance the result can be quite far off.
3. It is time consuming to calculate the vmax.
4. Quite often there is a buffer time to accomadate for inaccuracy in holding vmax. This is most noticeable on the older trains.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Ensifer:

But you have "Vmax" in "Train route" section. You can also see how long a train needs to move between two (or more) stations.

There is no "Vmax" under the "Train route" section. And still, i would like to have a quick overview about the train and its characteristics.

The process of comparing different arrival and departure times is taking time. In some situations you just dont have that time if you don´t give trains unnecessary delay times.

The best example for decision making where this info would be good is the 1460xx trains. A lot of players are confusing it with freight train and are therefore stoping the train to let a slower train like 141xx pass it. If there would be a clear indication about vmax that consusion could be resolved.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 134122.jpg

2 hours ago, Friedjof said:

best example for decision making where this info would be good is the 1460xx trains. A lot of players are confusing it with freight train and are therefore stoping the train to let a slower train like 141xx pass it. If there would be a clear indication about vmax that consusion could be resolved.

But that's correct according to the priorities. PWJ doesn't really have higher priority than the important EC/IC or TLK train. Higher speed doesn't mean higher priority. 

The priorities are more complex, also the number of digits in train number is important. The lower number is, the higher priority the train has. So at first you should let drive 4-digit trains numbers, than 5-digit and the last with the lowest priority are 6-digit trains.

There are more rules for this, but there's no need to go into that here, when the topic is about EDR.

• Like 1

8 godzin temu, Friedjof napisał(a):

There is no "Vmax" under the "Train route" section. And still, i would like to have a quick overview about the train and its characteristics.

The process of comparing different arrival and departure times is taking time. In some situations you just dont have that time if you don´t give trains unnecessary delay times.

The best example for decision making where this info would be good is the 1460xx trains. A lot of players are confusing it with freight train and are therefore stoping the train to let a slower train like 141xx pass it. If there would be a clear indication about vmax that consusion could be resolved.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 134122.jpg

Yyy... but you have a column "Vmax" there. You don't see it?

PWJ trains = lowest priority. Yes, TME and other freight trains should go first.

Edited by Ensifer
  • I agree 3

6 godzin temu, TheFloxiCz napisał(a):

But that's correct according to the priorities. PWJ doesn't really have higher priority than the important EC/IC or TLK train. Higher speed doesn't mean higher priority. 

The priorities are more complex, also the number of digits in train number is important. The lower number is, the higher priority the train has. So at first you should let drive 4-digit trains numbers, than 5-digit and the last with the lowest priority are 6-digit trains.

There are more rules for this, but there's no need to go into that here, when the topic is about EDR.

11 minut temu, Ensifer napisał(a):

PWJ trains = lowest priority. Yes, TME and other freight trains should go first.

I don't entirely agree. It's true, according to the priorities, PWJ should go last, but it has a higher speed than IC/EC and freight trains, so what's the point of putting PWJ aside when there's a freight or EC/IC behind it? PWJ will go faster anyway and won't slow them down. Also what's the point of sending a freight train before PWJ? PWJ will go first and continue 160, delaying the freight at most by like 2 minutes. When "according to the priorities" you let the freight go first, the PWJ will drag behind it for 40 minutes, delaying it by an hour.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb TheFloxiCz:

Sorry, i didn´t intend to open this pandoras box again. It has been disgussed in other places in the forum, so i don´t want to continoue that part of the argument.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Ensifer:

Yyy... but you have a column "Vmax" there. You don't see it?

Oh... I really didn´t see that. Still the other informations i mentioned would be nice to know two.

19 hours ago, jumps said:

I don't entirely agree. It's true, according to the priorities, PWJ should go last, but it has a higher speed than IC/EC and freight trains, so what's the point of putting PWJ aside when there's a freight or EC/IC behind it? PWJ will go faster anyway and won't slow them down. Also what's the point of sending a freight train before PWJ? PWJ will go first and continue 160, delaying the freight at most by like 2 minutes. When "according to the priorities" you let the freight go first, the PWJ will drag behind it for 40 minutes, delaying it by an hour.

I agree, an general rule for sending slow freight trains in front of an pwj that kan do 160 km/h does not make sence to me.

• I agree 1

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Ensifer:

I don't need more information when I have maxspeed and can easily check how much time does this train needs to move between stations. There's also a great tool for dispatchers called "SimRail Train Describer" - https://tplmilano.altervista.org/E/SRTD/#pl2_0_0

1. Fine with me if you don´t use the extra information.

2. That´s a great toll. I am using it in addition to some other tools.