Funding The Future

Finding myself quite enjoying Simrail after a slight break, have to wonder how things are going to project for the future. I think running the Polish section through Google Translate there have been some discussions in there but not that I can see in the English section.

Anyhow the main thing is, how do we support the project going forward? It can't be cheap to keep those servers running and the only revenue stream Simkol have that I can see is initial sales of the core programme. We don't know if the EN57 and steam loco will be (generously) provided as part of the core or whether they will be DLC. I certainly have no issue buying DLC for Simrail but obviously that could create issues in the MP environment particularly once more locos and rolling stock come out or if the route gets extended and/or new routes added. How do those who don't have that content fit into the MP paradigm (though of course hopefully by that time we will have a much improved SP game along with the save or checkpoint feature)? Run 8 manages it by substituting generic locos and cars for the missing ones though there are no arrangements to sub missing parts of their two main routes.

So as I say bring on the DLC - the one thing I would not like to see in the future is any sort of "pay to play" or subscription arrangement to continue accessing the MP servers.

Edited by BigVern
  • Like 1
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree 4

Afaik, the EN57 will be part of the next patch, which should come out this sunday - at least according to the rumours on Discord.

DLCs should come out after the early access period, and the ET22 may be one of them - again, according to the rumours. I'd love to hear more official updates here on the forum.

I'm curious about whether or not we'll get DLCs on multiplayer: if not, to me that would be a deal breaker, meaning I wouldn't be interested in purchasing rolling stock or railway lines.

• I agree 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Angelo:

I'm curious about whether or not we'll get DLCs on multiplayer: if not, to me that would be a deal breaker, meaning I wouldn't be interested in purchasing rolling stock or railway lines.

Why would that be a dealbreaker? As long as they dont sell it with the price and quality like dovetail im ok with it to buy dlcs to support a game which i like.  And I think its obvious that you cant get multiple new rollingstock and routes for free when they put a lot of work into them. Somehow their salary has to be paid.

• I agree 2

vor 15 Minuten schrieb Angelo:

and I wonder if and how DLCs will be implemented in multi.

Maps, if you have the extension you can continue and if you don't have the extension you will be kicked off the train at one position

With the trains I'm not sure right now how it will be. 

^ Both things will have a lock on them so you can see if you need the DLC.

• I agree 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Angelo:

the next patch, which should come out this sunday - at least according to the rumours on Discord.

so, you missed the joke, every answer to the question "when update" is sunday. This has nothing to say. The last times updates did not come out on weekend.

• Haha 1
  • I agree 1

1 hour ago, RealMiko said:

Maps, if you have the extension you can continue and if you don't have the extension you will be kicked off the train at one position

That would be great! Can't wait for the map extensions, then!

1 hour ago, Moooritz said:

so, you missed the joke, every answer to the question "when update" is sunday. This has nothing to say. The last times updates did not come out on weekend.

Oh, I only recently started following Discord, and yeah, I did miss it. Although I did read somewhere that the next update should come out this month - is it true? I know it's a lot of work and it takes a lot of time, but the last update was half a year ago - and we did see some really promising pictures of the EN57, ETCS, seasons etc.

vor einer Stunde schrieb Angelo:

That would be great! Can't wait for the map extensions, then!

Oh, I only recently started following Discord, and yeah, I did miss it. Although I did read somewhere that the next update should come out this month - is it true? I know it's a lot of work and it takes a lot of time, but the last update was half a year ago - and we did see some really promising pictures of the EN57, ETCS, seasons etc.

that the update should come this month were twittered by the simrail boss when i hear that right 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 7:05 PM, BigVern said:

I certainly have no issue buying DLC for Simrail but obviously that could create issues in the MP environment particularly once more locos and rolling stock come out or if the route gets extended and/or new routes added. How do those who don't have that content fit into the MP paradigm (though of course hopefully by that time we will have a much improved SP game along with the save or checkpoint feature)?

People often ask this question but I don't really see why it would be a problem. You could only play trains which you have purchased (or which are included in the base game). The rest would still appear, you just couldn't drive it.

But I'm also curious about the whole business plan behind the game. Vehicle DLCs can somehow help keep the flow of money to run servers, but only to a point where you have so many types that you need to add more trains too. Maps DLCs don't solve anything because new map = new server, so even if it brings some money, it will also increase costs in the long term.

And then there will be some players who will only buy one game, or one DLC and nothing more (e.g. people who only play their "home routes" - many Poles won't bother buying lines in Czechia). These people will keep generating costs forever, but will never bring more money. And the overal group of players who are like this will probably keep going up over the time.

While I understand that pay-to-play model isn't popular, I think it's the only viable solution in the long term.

• I agree 2

On 10/17/2023 at 12:31 PM, Moooritz said:

sorry about that, 
i started the 'Sunday' thing on discord, 

Got fed up of seeing constant messages asking 'wen update' all the time.

Tell them 'Sunday' and they shut up and the messages go back to normal topics.
When sunday arrives and they start the 'its sunday, where's the update' messages...
Tell them 'i never said which Sunday'  it must be next sunday, or the one after that, or after that 🤪

Tho it is true that the SimRail big boss did say that October should be the month the next update is being released, and it will be a big one with lots of content and changes,

But this is SimRail not dovetail, so if the update isn't ready for release, it gets held back, that quality over quantity thing, 

i want an update that improves the sim, not breaks it then have to wait months for fixes as they are already too busy working on the next DLC/update, aka dovetail games styleee.

Edited by Gazz292
  • Like 1
  • I agree 5

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/19/2023 at 11:20 AM, Fightdrug said:

not sure if i want that when i see the thumbnail 😅 but thx for clearing that up 😄

Haha you funny fella 😉 I bet you wouldn't mind that effeminate guy from dovetail that do streams with girly headphones meow, byeeeeee 

• Confused 7