E186: Release time of the electric brake

Blacky

Hey,

I've noticed a very long "release" time of the electric brake in the E186. It takes longer than the release of the actual air brake, which just can't be as intended. 

Maybe you can check this.

Thanks!

Same here. Has been like that for as long as I can remember so not an new issue.

If you push&hold "brake release" button, dynamic is cut and you can get throttle straight away, if not, waiting game. 

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Deadlost:

Has been like that for as long as I can remember so not an new issue.

Okay, I've so far only barely used the E186, just today as it has been put in front of many EC services.

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Deadlost:

If you push&hold "brake release" button, dynamic is cut and you can get throttle straight away, if not, waiting game. 

Thanks for the tip, I've also tried this, but as you don't really know how long you have to press that button, it's not really a proper solution. If you lift your finger of the brake releaser switch one second too early, power will immediately cut and that is very annoying. In the ED250 it's made correctly with the electric braking power going away as soon as the brake lever is set to release, regardless of how much the air cylinder brake (upper manometer) is filled (because I think that may be the issue).

If you brake without air, so just electric, the loco doesn't have this weird behavior in releasing the brake afterwards. 

36 minutes ago, Deadlost said:

Same here. Has been like that for as long as I can remember so not an new issue.

Yeah, but you have to keep the button pressed.

• 2 weeks later...

I've cheated with this now and added a button to my Stream Deck labelled 'Brake Release Holdover' which runs a macro (and cleverly changes the button text to 'Active') and basically sends the brake release key command for 30 seconds (although I might up this to 45 seconds as even for 30 seconds it cuts out too early)

I just thought it was me having trouble with this, the only other way of having a quick getaway, so long as the track is flat, was just to take the brakes off early and hope it doesn't roll!

It’s because the Traxx is by default running with brake setting G, meaning the brake (in this case, the electrodynamic brake) reacts somewhat slowly to changes in brake pipe pressure. This is correct for long and heavy goods trains, but rubbish for passenger trains.

You can change it on the left-side screen. Press 8, navigate down to the setting that’s set to ‘G’, press the number key that says P (goods/light engine) or R (EC/IC etc.), press 0, press C. Now the electrodynamic brake should follow brake pipe pressure much more closely.

• Like 4
  • I agree 1

Oooo, I'll give it a go! I was looking for a brake changeover switch on the bulkhead behind the drivers seat where stuff like that normally is, but couldn't find one, evidently 🤣

Edited by DazT

7 hours ago, Schyrsivochter said:

It’s because the Traxx is by default running with brake setting G, meaning the brake (in this case, the electrodynamic brake) reacts somewhat slowly to changes in brake pipe pressure. This is correct for long and heavy goods trains, but rubbish for passenger trains.

You can change it on the left-side screen. Press 8, navigate down to the setting that’s set to ‘G’, press the number key that says P (goods/light engine) or R (EC/IC etc.), press 0, press C. Now the electrodynamic brake should follow brake pipe pressure much more closely.

That worked a treat, thank you!

Am 28.5.2023 um 09:40 schrieb Schyrsivochter:

do you know how to change it for the ET25? I believe its also in "P"

image.thumb.jpeg.b0bb38f7744fc56403b39e261f664075.jpeg