New Roles

New roles onboard the train (both for SP/MP):

I think I read somewhere, that a passenger mode is already in the works, that's great. That was one of my suggestions. BUT:

Ticket controllers/inspectors:
The driver role works as it should. So does the dispatcher role. And with a passenger mode soon too, can we please get a ticket controller/inspector role? Pleeeeease... 🥺 That would be SO cool to have one player drive the train while the other checks tickets (we may need a few more passengers, tho - I have already mentioned that in another thread).

Random events/incidents:
But now we're at it, there could even be random events happening onboard. Such as passengers without tickets that needs a fine, rude passengers that needs to be kicked off (and therefore you need to communicate with the train driver to hold the train at the next station), medical emergencies, technical difficulties (you know, life kicks in sometimes), etc.

Onboard bistro/kiosk staff:
If the developers feel like going REALLY into details, for the long distance trains with onboard bistros, you could be serving customers with coffee, snacks, etc. in the bistro coach. This would also pair great with one player driving the train, while you can either inspect tickets or work in the bistro.

This role, however, is not a role I expect. But if SimRail really wanted to stand out for details, this could be one way to do it.

edit: maybe this should be moved to multiplayer suggestions?

Edited by Mika
  • I disagree 4
  • Confused 5
  • Haha 1

I can't wait to spend 3 hours giving NPC coffees or snacks. Or picking tickets... Or attending to one who wants to change seats... Exciting without a doubt. 
Not for nothing, but where do these ideas you have come from? GTA? 
Don't bother with my irony. Greetings.

• Haha 6
  • I agree 2

SimRail is a train driving and signalling SIMULATOR, 
All the hard work is going into getting the driving of trains and working of the signal boxes / dispatching posts all working together properly in multiplayer, 

Do we really want devs taken off the task of improving the driving and signalling parts of the sim to add a ticket collector role? a cafe assistant role............ how about wandering about stations looking for posters that need replacing, or walk the 500Km of tracks looking for signal post phones to replace, or soft toys to collect?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • I agree 7

<SarcasmModeOn>

I think it's a good idea @Gazz292 as after the day I've had so far some people certainly can't signal for <insert appropriate expletive>. I'd demote them from the box to toilet attendant, but then again, they'd probably <insert appropriate expletive> that up!

<SarcasmModeOff>

4 times today I've been <insert appropriate expletive> over all on EC trains, this morning routed via the loop at Gora for no reason whatsoever, then on the same train routed into the middle road at Opocozno Poludnie, luckily knew straight away and refused to take the signal. That situation was rectified by a kind driver on the south EC who left his train, manned the box and took the erroneous (I still think it was malicious) signal back. Had a few hours break in Warsaw, to then be routed via the loop at Idzikowice and held on a red "until time" for no reason, erm, that time only works if I was going through at 120kph, not from a standing start and then maliciously routed again at Opoczno Poludnie onto the middle road, luckily the server reset. The two OP ones I suspect both were foul play as both times it dropped back to AI, by which time the damage is done.

I've got very good now at saying "Arrows, Circle, Stripes" out loud to myself approaching stations, as that's order of the plates/markings on the signals for where you might be wrong routed. If I've got a green at "Arrow", and definitely a green at "Circle" (Last ABS) where I should be getting a restrictive aspect, on goes the brake!

Edited by DazT
  • Like 2
  • I agree 3

Again, I expect Simrail to be the most similar to a Flight Simulator experience (procedures and such), don't wanna have a surrogate game that would remind us all of that one who's name can't be mentioned, where you go looking for tokens and doing other unnecessary stuff.

Edited by Kaito Kid
  • I agree 6

Yeah, no.

OP, you're asking too much for a train driving game/sim. 

I'm gonna have to agree with the people who replied above me.

First of all, there are some people that like to drive trains on their own, and would rather not have a second person going all over the train multitasking and doing useless crap that adds nothing of value to the game. Now you might argue that Passenger Mode might not add anything too. And you may be right, however people were asking for it, and it's a nice way for new players to learn the routes, take some good photos or have a nice chill session while they do something else IRL. 

Secondly, having roles for people like train inspectors, cafe workers, restaurant cooks, bar waiters, toilet cleaners, janitors, plumbers and God knows what else, takes up server load, which could otherwise be used for more helpful and useful actions like shunting and/or being a passenger roaming about. 

And last but not least, it's f***ing boring. Trust me, only a few people would actually enjoy these features. That is because when people think 'Oh, a train simulator!', they don't assume they'll be wiping baby poop off the floor on the first-class compartment of a Pendolino, or that they'll be playing ''Papers, Please'' (famous detective game) when checking who is legally allowed to stay in the train and who isn't. Maybe it's cool and exciting the first time you do it, but after a while noone would bother doing this for 3 hours straight, exactly because it won't be detrimental to anything. It's not like the driver depends on you to fix that broken sink in time to get the train moving.

People had certain expectations for this game, and most of them have been met. Anything that goes too far, regarding what people can do in this game would fairly be considered a waste of resources by the developers. Most of us that have been here for quite some time would agree that we DO NOT need more roles in the game. It would make things needlessly far too complicated. Drive a train, dispatch trains around a station, shunt trains in a yard and be a passenger. The former two things we can already do, and the latter two will arrive in the future. That's it, that's all we pretty much need, train lovers are simple creatures.

Personally, I like the up and coming Passenger Mode. I might not be using it much, but seeing that others will, it makes me happy seeing the community of this game getting something they want. But that's about it. Let's not create an irrelevant cooking, inspecting, or cleaning simulator inside another simulator, shall we?

Edited by Spong
I didn't edit anything, I just wanted to apologize for that long reply. Even I got bored of reading it.
  • I agree 7

i just hope that having people spawn into your train in this passenger mode doesn't do similar to what happens when another train with a live driver in it comes into view and we get stutters etc, or an ad on to the ping time because there's now 2 + updates per second needed, one for the driver, one for the passenger roaming around the carriages changing views all the time etc. 
Or a passenger takes away a place on the server that could be used for driving a train etc. 

• I agree 3

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Gazz292:

i just hope that having people spawn into your train in this passenger mode doesn't do similar to what happens when another train with a live driver in it comes into view and we get stutters etc, or an ad on to the ping time because there's now 2 + updates per second needed, one for the driver, one for the passenger roaming around the carriages changing views all the time etc. 
Or a passenger takes away a place on the server that could be used for driving a train etc. 

i just hope that the passenger player dont is allowed to enter the driver cabin because... well... he is a passenger and passengers have to be at the passenger section and complain about the ticket prices and why they dont have one and why the driver drives so bad or complain why we so late etc. 👍

and i think people will try then to ruin your trip by staying infront of you etc.

Edited by Fightdrug
remembering other passengers...
  • I agree 2

i used to get that waiting at a station and another players train came in, some of them would come in my cab and jump around Infront of me, 

then i think the devs made it so they can open your cab door but not come in, as this was obviously annoying people, (i think trying to climb in another train's door teleports you back into your own cab now)
so every now and then i get someone who opens and closes the cab door a few times, then tries to jump onto the trains roof. 

vor einer Stunde schrieb Gazz292:

i used to get that waiting at a station and another players train came in, some of them would come in my cab and jump around Infront of me, 

then i think the devs made it so they can open your cab door but not come in, as this was obviously annoying people, (i think trying to climb in another train's door teleports you back into your own cab now)
so every now and then i get someone who opens and closes the cab door a few times, then tries to jump onto the trains roof. 

open and close doors are just a real problem right now by the pentolino 😉

• Haha 1

@Gazz292 Once had someone jump on front of my buffer beam at Zawiercie just before departure on a TLK crate, I just opened the taps and floored it! 

Once it's been done once to you, the first time it's hilarious, second time and beyond it just tends to get on your tits more than anything.

Still not seen that player I had at Dabrowa Gornicza once who stood in the 4 foot when I then proceeded to throw the anchor out of the window 🤣

• Like 1
  • I agree 2