"layovers" at stations?

might be a basic question -- but why are there "layovers" (minutes long wait periods) at some stations? e.g. Warszawa Zachodnia in the EU07

does anyone know what (if any) real world dynamics are being simulated here? basically -- why am I waiting at that station for ten minutes? (not a complaint; i enjoy the immersion)

(will also accept replies which are just eu07 content please thank you)

Edited by verylowrez

It’s fairly realistic. Timetables always have some slack so that small delays can be compensated when they arise. And at busy stations, especially for intercity trains, passenger boarding may take a while longer, so the timetable will account for that.

• Like 1

17 minut temu, Schyrsivochter napisał(a):

It’s fairly realistic. Timetables always have some slack so that small delays can be compensated when they arise. And at busy stations, especially for intercity trains, passenger boarding may take a while longer, so the timetable will account for that.

Yeah this and also the tunnel under the center of Warsaw is also relatively narrow with low capacity and it is the main Polish line, so heavy traffic must be included in the timetables.

Edited by FartingZombie
  • I agree 1

Those longer layovers are well timed to go and make a cup of tea/coffee (whatever your poison!), vitally important on those EC's if you do them end-to-end for 4 hours!

Edited by DazT
  • Like 1

i've been having a go at making drivers timetables, and the one i worked on first is the 14100 services, those nearly 4 hour long drives from one end of the line to the other in an EU07 / EP08, 

I have a real driver's timetable from 2020 covering the route used in SimRail (but with an ED250, so it runs a bit faster than the EU07 service does) but there are stations where you have ~20 seconds dwell time, and others where you have many minutes of dwell time... and of course if you arrive early, you'll be waiting a lot longer for your scheduled departure time.

There's even a bit in the EU07's timetable at Olszamowice, which is not a station but a place you can be parked in the sidings to let a faster train past you, if you arrive there on time you have a 4 minute 'layover'... i'm often a couple of minutes early there, so i'm held for 6+ minutes there,  this is normal and realistic, i'm a 5 digit service, and the 4 digit services take priority over me... the 6 digit freights can be held for almost half an hour at places (with Polish railway services, the shorter the service number the higher priority you have)

Notice below, the station after that 'timing point' at Olszamowice....  a 7 minute dwell time, again from what i can find out that's realistic, 

image.thumb.png.4e387ce952a4193d9d7f187beea841c3.png

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FartingZombie said:

Yeah this and also the tunnel under the center of Warsaw is also relatively narrow with low capacity and it is the main Polish line, so heavy traffic must be included in the timetables.

oh!! Yeah I wonder how much the tunnel impacts this. That's so interesting. Maybe I'll have a look at the tunnel specs and capacity. 

2 hours ago, Gazz292 said:

i've been having a go at making drivers timetables, and the one i worked on first is the 14100 services, those nearly 4 hour long drives from one end of the line to the other in an EU07 / EP08, 

oh gosh this is incredible -- thank you! your points are about priority are also well taken; I'll start taking a closer look at how different systems privilege different traffic! Those freight 'dwell time' makes a lot more sense to me -- I'm probably just surprised about the passenger dwell time because this differs from my own experience, and I wondered why (but I've experienced far too few lines in the world🙂)

I think some of the basic logic is starting to come together for me now -- and that spreadsheet will help me see so much about how the different lines interact! thanks so much.

I've lived in the US NE Corridor my whole life. Metro-North, which I've ridden quite a bit, seems to mitigate its habitual issues by running the trains very slowly for long intervals -- but maybe that's because there is just less track and/or functioning sidings? I believe I've heard about old sidings no longer functioning on several lines, and especially some big debates over Acela getting priority (that's the expensive express train). but the city stations along the route do seem to have plenty of sidings and platforms... could be so many things, i suppose.

Maybe I'll have a look and compare the two systems to see why my experience are so different. It could even be (probably is) just a different system philosophy -- but then I'd wonder why Metro-North sees this as more efficient in its context (and then understand what infrastructure would be necessary to make improve it).

thanks all!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DazT said:

Those longer layovers are well timed to go and make a cup of tea/coffee (whatever your poison!), vitally important on those EC's if you do them end-to-end for 4 hours!

pls devs let me make a cup of tea on the little stove in the eu07

• Like 1