[EN] Signs and Signals found in SimRail, printable guide.

Gazz292

A guide i made for the signs and signals you will find in SimRail:

PolishSignsandSignalslandscape.thumb.png.3cf100b38ba372d74f0096df3a430ee8.png

The zip file attached at the bottom of this post contains a portrait and landscape version of the guide as seen above, in both .png and .pdf formats.
You can print the guide out or display it on a phone / tablet / 2nd monitor, allowing you to look up what that signal or sign was telling you that you just zoomed passed whilst driving in SimRail. 🙂

The image above is a low quality preview, please print out the high quality version in the .zip file at the bottom of this post.

The idea of the landscape guide (shown above) is so you can print it out on a sheet of A4 paper and fold it in half, giving you a handy A5 sized guide with the signals on one side and the signs on the other side.
Or keep it full sized in either landscape or portrait if you wish.
If you can, laminating the print out will make it last almost forever (or until mistakes are spotted and i need to re-release the files)

When printing, it might help to set your print settings to 'fit to page keeping aspect ratio' and 'centre on the page' if that's an option.

Alternatively, you can display the guide on a phone or tablet.
If using a tablet, 2nd screen or large phone, simply displaying the whole guide may be fine, but for a normal sized 'tall and skinny screen' smartphone, it may be too small to read unless you zoom and scroll about the picture.

So i have also made 3 condensed views of the guide arranged for better viewing on a phone screens, you can flip / swipe between the 3 images/pages on your phone and view them in a format that fills a 'typical' smartphone screen as much as possible, however this version does not have the info panels telling you things about passing an automatic block signal at red etc, that the full guide has, so i would recommend reading the full sized guide first to see a few explanations about some of the signs and signal types.

The 'Printing or Displaying the pictures' Read Me file explains how to 'use' the images with more detail / waffle.
The 'Understanding the guide ' Read Me file has some info on a few Polish railway rules and how to read the semi-automatic signals.

There is also a folder called 'Textless guides for translation'  inside this folder are the 2 full guides plus the phone sized ones with all the graphics but empty text boxes, the idea being people can add the text below the pictures in their native language then share the translated guide with others (If you translate the guide , could you please post it in this thread)
You can open the .png versions in an image editor then add you translated text over the empty boxes, or use a PDF editor on the .pdf versions, and you should be able to type directly into the text boxes.

Big thanks to jmluengor for the idea of a pdf version to edit.

----------------------

Below is an animated .gif showing the 3 pages that make up the phone sized pages showing the signals and signs as if you were flipping between them (the preview is low quality)
PhoneFlip2.thumb.gif.08a4408e916189f81b43b0f8cab251e2.gif

The small print:

I have drawn all the signal and signs myself in Inkscape as vectors, but i based the signals and signs on other peoples work, listed below:

The signal aspect images are based on the ones on the polish railway signals Wikipedia page : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_railway_signalling
That page has a creative commons 3 license (CC BY-SA 3.0) : https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ 
Which means i am allowed to re-mix and distribute the content as long as i reference the page i based my version on, and link to the relevant CC3 license.

The sign images are based on the ones shown on : http://pkprepo.net/wskazniki-kolejowe-pkp-epoka-vc/
That page has a creative commons 4 license (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) : https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
Which means that i needed permission to "Re-mix, Transform or Build Upon'' the content, i have been granted that permission by E-Mail from the author of the website.

Change log for V2:
Added railway vehicle head and tail light codes, 
Updated the W8 and D6 signs text (when the sign is blank it means 20 km/h limit ahead)
Changed shunting signal identifier text to include 'Tm' T meaning shunting only signal, m meaning it's used for manoeuvres .

Signs and Signals in SimRail Guide V2.zip

Edited by Gazz292
Made V2 of the guide
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

There are some translated versions of the guide posted on another part of the forum: 

I wonder if it's possible to move / copy the content from another part of the forum to this one? so everything is in one place, as there are Spanish, Chinese and Czech translated versions posted there that would be handy to have on this thread... as it makes sense to have all the user created stuff in one place rather than in the different forum pages (single player, multi player etc) 

Also, why do i get a long number placed infront of my .zip file, the name on my computer is 'SignsandSignalsinSimRail.zip' other peoples .zip's dont get the numbers added.

Edited by Gazz292

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Am 29.1.2023 um 20:33 schrieb Gazz292:

A guide i made for the signs and signals you will find in SimRail:

PolishSignsandSignalslandscape.thumb.png.3cf100b38ba372d74f0096df3a430ee8.png

First I want to thank you for uploading the signal guide, it is very helpful!

Now my question, how does the tail of a train look like which has the "Train stopped for unknown reason" light setup?

Is it like the "Driving on opposite track" light setup with two red lights on the rear/tail or on the picture shown setup just repeated on the tail (roof white, right and left red light)?

Edited by Weißbrot

According to the IE-1 (PKP signalling regulations, 2020 edition... which i translated with google and used to make the guide) 

6) Signal Pc 6
"Indicators at the head of a train with single manned traction vehicle, stopped for an unknown reason on a double or multi-track route":

One upper white light and two lower red lights at the head of the train.

The Pc 6 signal is given by the driver of a train without a conductor or train with a one-person traction vehicle crew, in the event of the train stopping for an unknown reason on a double or multi-track route, before going along the train in order to determine the reason for its stopping.

The driver of a train approaching in the direction of which the Pc 6 signal was given should stop their train and obtain information about the reason for stopping the other train, and whether the train dispatcher was notified about the stop.

----------------

So it's just the head of the train where the lights are set to 'upper white, 2 lower red' 
i assume this would be used if say a passenger emergency stop lever was operated,  loss of traction or braking issues, or any other reason to 'stop and examine' the train, where if it was a 2 manned train the conductor may do that. 

I also assume that the driver of the train in trouble should contact the dispatcher on the radio first... unless it's an emergency that he needs to attend to immediately (injured person perhaps) 
That's when an approaching train from the other direction would stop and see if they need to help, and to contact the dispatcher if not already done so. 

:

There is a section a little further on in the IE-1 about 'alarm signals' 
Some of the newer trains have a setting for this on the headlight selector switch, it flashes the headlights rapidly at both ends of the train if it's an EMU, but for older trains you'd flash the headlights repeatedly manually with the headlight switches, and this would only flash the front ones.

You also sound the horn with 'one long, 3 short' tones, repeatedly... or sound a siren, whistle, trumpet, telephone ringer in the same manner. 

This 'A1' alarm signal is used to warn others of a possible risk of  safety to other people, trains etc, so could be someone trespassing on the tracks, or seeing an object on your own tracks that you've stopped for, but you are unsure if it affects other tracks.

Then there are other types of alarm signals, 

A1 r,  "A combination consisting of three short tones, varied in terms of frequency and repeated cyclically"
This warns of an immediate threat to traffic safety (de-railed train, object on other tracks etc) 
You should also transmit 'alarm' repeated 5 times on the radio, or press the radio stop button if equipped.

It then says to switch to the emergency chanel and explain the reason for pressing the radio stop or transmitting alarm 5 times. 

A2, this is the fire alarm, 1 long 2 short tones, repeated several times. 

then there's Air Raid warning alarms and so on. 

::::::::::::::

Of course, none of this is simulated in  SimRail (yet?) except the A1 alarm, automatic flashing headlights position and the radio stop... which only operates the brakes on your own vehicle (due to potential for trolling in the sim if it operated as in real life and stopped all other trains on the same channel in range)

and i may have got some things not 100% correctly explained, as i do not work for any railways, i only pretend to drive trains on simulators 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Am 11.2.2024 um 20:29 schrieb Gazz292:

According to the IE-1 (PKP signalling regulations, 2020 edition... which i translated with google and used to make the guide) 

6) Signal Pc 6
"Indicators at the head of a train with single manned traction vehicle, stopped for an unknown reason on a double or multi-track route":

One upper white light and two lower red lights at the head of the train.

The Pc 6 signal is given by the driver of a train without a conductor or train with a one-person traction vehicle crew, in the event of the train stopping for an unknown reason on a double or multi-track route, before going along the train in order to determine the reason for its stopping.

The driver of a train approaching in the direction of which the Pc 6 signal was given should stop their train and obtain information about the reason for stopping the other train, and whether the train dispatcher was notified about the stop.

----------------

So it's just the head of the train where the lights are set to 'upper white, 2 lower red' 
i assume this would be used if say a passenger emergency stop lever was operated,  loss of traction or braking issues, or any other reason to 'stop and examine' the train, where if it was a 2 manned train the conductor may do that. 

I also assume that the driver of the train in trouble should contact the dispatcher on the radio first... unless it's an emergency that he needs to attend to immediately (injured person perhaps) 
That's when an approaching train from the other direction would stop and see if they need to help, and to contact the dispatcher if not already done so. 

:

There is a section a little further on in the IE-1 about 'alarm signals' 
Some of the newer trains have a setting for this on the headlight selector switch, it flashes the headlights rapidly at both ends of the train if it's an EMU, but for older trains you'd flash the headlights repeatedly manually with the headlight switches, and this would only flash the front ones.

You also sound the horn with 'one long, 3 short' tones, repeatedly... or sound a siren, whistle, trumpet, telephone ringer in the same manner. 

This 'A1' alarm signal is used to warn others of a possible risk of  safety to other people, trains etc, so could be someone trespassing on the tracks, or seeing an object on your own tracks that you've stopped for, but you are unsure if it affects other tracks.

Then there are other types of alarm signals, 

A1 r,  "A combination consisting of three short tones, varied in terms of frequency and repeated cyclically"
This warns of an immediate threat to traffic safety (de-railed train, object on other tracks etc) 
You should also transmit 'alarm' repeated 5 times on the radio, or press the radio stop button if equipped.

It then says to switch to the emergency chanel and explain the reason for pressing the radio stop or transmitting alarm 5 times. 

A2, this is the fire alarm, 1 long 2 short tones, repeated several times. 

then there's Air Raid warning alarms and so on. 

::::::::::::::

Of course, none of this is simulated in  SimRail (yet?) except the A1 alarm, automatic flashing headlights position and the radio stop... which only operates the brakes on your own vehicle (due to potential for trolling in the sim if it operated as in real life and stopped all other trains on the same channel in range)

and i may have got some things not 100% correctly explained, as i do not work for any railways, i only pretend to drive trains on simulators 🙂 

Thank you for the answer, i wrote you in the credits and linked your guide 🙂

• Thanks 1