Station Annoucment.

Christophe

Hello, i noticed that the Station Announcement will only be played in the language that its set to the game, for example english Language plays English Announcement...

However, if you have set up the German language or other language expect from polish and english, you will no hear of annoucement.

My Suggestion is, that the annoucement will be only played in the language that are used in the country where the route is located. Or BiLingual Annoucement for EC/International Trains.

This will be also a plus for the immersion in my eyes.

Or at least an Option in the Settings, where we can choose the Language "Track Language", "Game Language", "Other Language.

• Like 6
  • I agree 3

• 2 months later...

I've had Polish announcements all along. 

It gets reset after an update, which is good.... i don't set folders to read only (people do this to avoid them being re-set back to original at update time), But doing this this means i'd lose out on new features added to those folders... some people have found this out when they set the settings.conf folder read only, new things are added at update time and they don't get them as the patch couldn't write them to the read only folders.... similarly the announcement files have been altered lately to add new announcements about reserved seats and coach locations.... and i do wonder if people who are not seeing things like other players carriage lights have set folders to read only so are not getting the updates as intended?

So, after each update, i navigate to :
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SimRail\SimRail_Data\StreamingAssets\Locales\train-announcement

That's where the station announcements are stored, if you want to look at the announcements,  open the .lang files as text files in your usual text editor.

To get Polish announcements, you can either copy the text in the pl.lang file, and overwrite the text in the xx.lang file appropriate for you (for me it's en.lang for english, but de.lang for German, fr.lang for French etc) note doing this you lose the original language text unless you make a backup of it somewhere.

Or as i do it, i rename my 'en.lang' file 'en.lang.old' (accept the warning about changing the file extension, you are making it so it's ignored by SimRail, so that's what you want)
Then rename 'pl.lang'  'en.lang'  or de.lang, or fr.lang as appropriate for the your native language you have SimRail in.

Next time you drive, you should hear Polish station announcements at the stations, just as you'd expect from driving a Polish train on Polish rails and stopping at Polish stations.

My theory on why the different languages for announcements, is that there are some people who shout very loudly about not having everything translated into their language in a game, one country in particular has more than their fair share of this kind of person, they think the whole world should speak their language and they won't buy anything unless it's fully translated... yeah, even if it totally breaks immersion.

If you find you don't like Polish announcements for some reason, to go back to how it was is easy, if you overwrote the language file, then simply delete the '\train-announcement' folder and do a steam file verify and it'll re-download the original file, 
Or re-name the .lang file that you changed to your native language back to pl.lang, then change the 'xx.lang.old' file back to 'xx.lang'  again accept the warning about changing file extensions, and you should get your local languages playing at the stations again.

Edited by Gazz292
  • Like 2

vor 19 Stunden schrieb Christophe:

I'm hearing English annoucements on DE-Server?

Do you hear the announcements if German is setted as game language?

I guess that this factor is crucial whether announcements will be played or not.

@Gazz292 This is what i'm doing exactly since the Playtest. Changing the DE.Lang with the content from PL.Lang

But after the last Update, i experienced, that if im driving with GameLanguage in German on an German Server (without changing the .Lang files, because they got overwritten and i forget to change it back), I was hearing English annoucements.

Then i was doing Trick 17 as you suggested and how i was doing it everytime... since then i have no annoucements anymore 🧐

• I agree 2

i drove for about 5 hours last night, and have to admit i didn't hear any station announcement either 😞 

After going one way with no announcements, i deleted the announcement file and let steam verify and re-download the file, so i should have got english announcements, but again got none, 

Making me wonder if something if breaking on the server side after things have been running for a while.

• I agree 1

Same on my Side... After changing the files, i can't hear any Announcements. So i take my "Copy" and rename it correctly -> also nothing. Deleting the Files and verify by Steam, i hear again the annoucements... but again in english -.-

• I agree 1

Am 8.4.2023 um 20:59 schrieb Bahnkaktus:

Do you hear the announcements if German is setted as game language?

I guess that this factor is crucial whether announcements will be played or not.

i have one time hear a german announcement as i was at warszawa it was say that a pentolino is entering the station on track 8 to kracow 😮

i deleted SimRailk and re-downloaded everything again from steam... not heard any announcements at all 😞 

I do mostly drive the 14100/41100 services, but it seems that just after a bug fix / update, announcements work for a day or 2, then stop, or are switched off... i was reading in the Polish forum with google translate that some people were getting looped announcements at some stations, so i wonder if this is why they keep being turned off? 

@Gazz292 : I'm sorry, but I don't have any station announcements, even if I have the TTS OK in Windows.

Can you answer me if you hear the announcements in all stations or in which stations you hear the most, and with which trains ?

Also, can I have a copy of the first lines of your settings.conf because I think that the problem could come with these lines.

Mine is (after a lot of tests) :

@v=5
G_MetricSystem=True
G_PlayCameraAnimations=True
G_CarsLimit=10
G_UserLanguage=French
G_UseSystemLanguageCulture=False

And how can you change to hearing the announcements from English to Polish ?

Edited by RWag64
  • I agree 1

Dang, i don't know what's up, but i can only seem to get English and Polish announcements to work 😞

French and German ones do not play, i have the full language packs installed for:
'Windows_TTS_Language=40c, Windows_TTS_Name=Microsoft Julie'  and
'Windows_TTS_Language=407, Windows_TTS_Name=Microsoft Hedda'

plus a few others :

image.thumb.png.ca5f65f3eb586758b216c6e4948a0ecc.png

But i just can't get French of German to play the announcements (not tried other languages)

my settings.conf first few line is :

@v=5
G_MetricSystem=True
G_PlayCameraAnimations=True
G_CarsLimit=25
G_UserLanguage=Automatic
G_UseSystemLanguageCulture=False

What i did to get Polish announcements was to install the Polish language pack / TTS voice in the windows narrator (control + windows key + N' 

Then copy all the text from the 'pl.lang' file, delete the text in the 'en.lang' file and past the Polish text in it's place, save it then started SimRail. 

BUT, today i seem not to be getting any announcements in english or Polish again 😞  this is on the EN1 server and EN8 server, the ones i always use.

• Like 2

yeah, i read something about there being old and new language files, something about api and sapi ones, 

Right now i'm getting no station announcements in any language, even the set up that worked last night 😞 

so i don't know if the announcements are server specific, and 'crash' after a while or something ... like if you drive just after a server restart there's usually lots of people on the platforms, but those people do not re-spawn very fast, so a few trains later you are down to 5 or 6 people on the platforms, even if you are driving at rush hour when the stations should be packed. 

Maybe the station announcer gets fed up of repeating himself, and gives up after a while 🙂 

• Haha 2

At last, it works, this morning.

I had to modify the "fr.lang" by copying the "en.lang" and translate only the french texts.

Then I put the content of the "new" "fr.lang" in the "en.lang", and it works. It seems that the only file read by the program is "en.lang".

The "Interface Language" (in the Settings) must be "Automatic".

I include my "new" "en.lang" (which have "French" texts inside).

en with French texts inside.zip

Edited by RWag64
  • Thanks 1

Glad you finally got it working RWag64, 

it's weird how it will only work with the en.lang file, but now i look closer at the fr.lang file and en.lang file, the en.lang file has all the new <breaks> in it, which was added with the last update (a reason not to set files to read only, as you'll never get these updates)

But the fr.lang file was using the old method with no <breaks> 
The de.lang file has the <breaks> in it, so should have worked, but i am wondering if it's that thing i mentioned in my other post, with the original windows language thing is affecting things here... which would explain why using the en.lang file with your local language in it works. 

Maybe something for a bug report to try and work with the dev's for people who have a computer with windows in a non english or Polish language? 

yeah, i noticed in the .lang files they've gone back to the simple text with no pauses in the sentences too,

But driven 2 trains so far on EN1 server (with a server restart in the middle), and not heard a single announcement again 😞 

• I agree 1

Same for me.

But I've found something weird : In Pruszkow (to Warszawa), I heard some street sounds (like carnival or supporters of football) and a station announcement in Polish (my Steam Language was "English" and my Interface Language setting was also "English").

I heard the same sounds with my Steam Language in "French" and my Interface Language setting in "French".

With my Steam Language in "French" and my Interface Language setting in "Automatic", I just heard the street sounds for one second and it stops.

Anyway, it was the only station announcement I've heard (with a lot of different tests).

In Warszawa, we heard now the sounds of the Karting zone near the stadium. Maybe all these "new" sounds have broken the Station Announcements.

Edited by RWag64
  • I agree 2

It works, but only in Polish !!!

I choose "Polish" in my Interface Language setting.

"After todays Update, they removed the Section with the Carriage Number"

I use the "old" language files (before 1804) with these three more lines with the carriages numbers and it works well .(I've the "pl.lang" filled with french content). These three more lines are used with the EC 141xx and 411xx.

Edited by RWag64
  • Confused 1