Trolls and griefers emerge.

Záhorácká

i'll be buying SimRail as soon as it's released, even if the price tag is around £100... there's just so much to it that the dev's have worked so hard for over the past few years.

They could setup a donation page, to pay for the enjoyment people have had on the playtests over the past couple of weeks, and i'd send them £30 instantly.
My steam activity page shows i've almost driven longer in SimRail over the past 3 weeks than i have in tsw for over a year!

i've read on discord people asking how much SimRail will be when released, some people say it's listed at $30, and people are saying 'no way, that's far too expensive'!!!

For that you can get tsw3 in a sale with just the high speed line, their longest line yet... all 186Km of it, which you zoom along at ~280km/h and get through it in about 40 minutes!
After a couple of runs you get to know the scripted elements, you know what signal you'll get slowed down at, that train which will wait before crossing in front of you as you approach, even if you are an hour late, that you'll be held for 5 minutes at a station even if you are running 20 minutes late, etc etc.

With SimRail you'll get ~500km of lines, and a 5+ hour drive if you chose to do the longer services.
And with multiplayer no 2 runs will ever be the same,
I've been held at red lights for ~10 minutes, but there was a reason, a load of other trains were being sent through the junction to clear up a backlog, that's all part of being a train driver, especially if you drive freights or the slow 'unimportant' passenger trains where the high speed trains have priority due to the passengers having paid more for their tickets.

I've been driving on European servers, and only seen the trolls 2 or 3 times, from what i hear it's mostly the American and Polish servers that attracted the most trolls, ok EN1.. a beginners server is often clogged up around Lazy, but thats newbies making mistakes i thought.

• Like 1
  • I agree 2

Train Driver 2 has a very complex set of rules for its multiplayer system.  In the most part it keeps griefers at bay, but it's very serious over there.  There's a reporting system for players you believe are troublesome and you're even docked points for leaving the server unannounced and not cancelling your route.

But if you want serious gameplay then that's what you've got to do.  But it's not inclusive, which some have been calling for SimRail to be.  It will turn away casual players.  Can't have your cake and eat it.

TD2 rules are in the doc linked here...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UAAPUtN0d_RoS4RgOzEzllJZJhA0VcizzCzKW4QylbY/edit#heading=h.1ldcvhomwjp9 (there's an English section)

Griefers in multiplayer games are a fact of life.  It's up to you to work out how to avoid them.

To me, SimRail is a realistic simulator, a public release of one used to train real train drivers, with the multiplayer bit added in so people can be the dispatcher or driver, and work together to make the virtual railway run smoothly. 

I know there's a lot more to starting up a train that turning the battery on, raising the panto, flipping a few more switches and away you go.. but some things need to be omitted as there have been cases in the past where people have tried to go 'joyriding' in a train after thinking they know it all from playing a train driving game.

i want SimRail to be a hard core simulator, where you have to learn your 'job' to progress, but i do take things further than some people at times... with my building of driving desks or the bus cab i'm (still) making for omsi / lotus.

But a lot of people are expecting SimRail to be a replacement for tsw, an arcade like game where you move a lever forwards to go, and pull it back to stop.
I remember one of tsw's 'tutorials' where they said they'd show you how to regain control after an emergency brake application, i was expecting a passenger emergency brake application, or to be told to use the emergency brake button in the cab... then stuff like 'reset the main contactor, put the brake lever to a certain position, press the brake release button until a certain pressure shows, reset the power lever lockout and so on'
What did i have to do.... move the brake lever to emergency position, wait for the train to stop, then push the brake lever back to off, apply power and drive off!

• Like 1
  • I agree 3

Yes the issues are happening in North America.  I will have to look into the schedule issues as I never got around to updating the schedule I was doing.  Even I made mistakes at SG in the beginning becasue it's the only one that has a 2nd page.  All it takes is 1 train to mess up a line.  But there are also some trains I've seen come into SG NOT on the schedule.  

Perhaps we should do an experiment and get someone like myself or others who understand SG to run a full 3 hours and see what is happening.  After all it's a playtest and this would be a good way to test it out.

It's 1:34PM EST which is about half way through the last reboot.  Perhaps we should start a thread on WHEN the server is noticed as being backed up and observations of train numbers if possible.  I will start doing this moving forward and then we can try and figure out what is happening.

Thanks

Sean

No!  Just post messages when you see issues with servers.  The server you are on.  Where you are stuck.  Trains # if known in front of you.  Of course it probably won't tell the whole story because in some cases it will be trains even further up the track to where you can't reach.  

Thanks

Sean

I don't see a single post from the admin here. So I don't know if they are interested in this at all.... We have to test something that cannot be tested, because there are a lot of trolls with whom nothing can be done! I am disappointed. I expected more from it.

• I agree 1

1 hour ago, Skully said:

Another example just on EN1. I think it's more because people don't know how railways operate but the cargo train was driving just 20 km/h because it was ahead of schedule...

i've held back on my speed a little when running a passenger train that i joined ahead of schedule, but i only drop down to about 100km/h when i should be doing 120.

I have the live map on a tablet by the side of my laptop screen whenever i drive, so i can see if there's live drivers behind me, and be sure i'm not holding people up, 

but doing 20km/h to avoid having to wait longer at the layover stop is not really on (tho we could say that maybe the loco had a fault and can't go any faster, but it'd be switched into the nearest siding and a new loco ordered then in reality)

We still have some issues with AI and I found one case at Bezdin and from what I can tell it is NOT a player issues because I was next door at SG and couldn't get 1 of 2 trains to make it to me.  A player dispatcher came on this afternoon and he never communicated with me but simply logged off.  I take it the issue was he couldn't get the switches to throw either as I couldn't either.  Nothing appeared to be lit that I could tell but the bottom line is the AI could never clear a train as it kept asking SG for permission to run 2 different trains and never sent 1 of them.  It seems the AI gets confused when there are too many decisions to make.

I'm at a point where I don't know what to report because everything is being duplicated or being worked on, and neither does anyone else.

Thanks

Sean

• Like 1

Please can you ban user "Mléko Madeta Plnotučné", this user every day trolls on the Czech Server. Sending trains face to face on SZ, blocking traffic. 
This guy is very aggressive in chat. 

Please add kick feature. (Voting system for example.... 5 users click on kick button, user will be kicked).

The Czech community will be extremely happy...

Thank you.

• I agree 1

Voting will lead to a different type of abuse / trolling.

The game should detect faulty maneuvers and dish out penalties. Three strikes and you're out for a day. Next strikeout sees 2 days then 4 days until you've enough for get 64 days consecutively. Each day of good running can take away a day of your potential strikeout until you're back to 1 day.

• I agree 3

The problem with a voting system is that it could be used maliciously. A few people decide they think I have an ill favoured look about me or maybe I got a bit assertive in the chat and suddenly I'm voted off, when operationally I've done nothing wrong.

The whole thing is a massive minefield and while I've not been playing the last week or so I've been lurking on the forum and tend to agree that private servers by invitation or acceptance are the only system which will provide some chance of working with sensible people. However that then brings the problem of who is going to run these, including any access and bandwidth costs and who the moderator/admin will be etc.

• Like 1
  • I agree 2

I wouldn't see a problem with the operation.
There are many groups that can agree on running a server. Alternatively, they have the ability to set up their own server. If they are allowed to.

And if not, there would certainly be the option to pay for a paid server.