Realistic trolley voltage simulation

Posted (edited)

Hi,
I would like to see a realistic simulation of trolley voltage added. Right now it's holding steady at 3.3 kV, but in reality it changes all the time. It's around 2.8 kV, but, for example, if a heavy freight train occupies the same section, it can get to 2.5 kV or less.
This puts a new element into the game. When I start moving with a heavier train, I have to be careful to not take too much voltage from the trolley. I think Traxx (and maybe Dragon) would even shut off the main switch if the voltage is too low.

Also, the whole line would be divided into several blocks with different voltages (like in reality). Other players would have to react, how much I take from the trolley, because if the trolley is at low voltage, the heavy trains won't start off.

Of course, it would have to be balanced to make the game playable and fun.

image.png.7841f3359eb45445498de8e3410e581c.png

Edited by Maty556677
Minor changes
  • I agree 5

we already have a basic variable voltage in the winter in the sim, 
we get ice on the lines when the weather conditions mean ice is likely to form (SimRail's weather is live, based on 10KM squares reading weather stations in real life) 

Currently this means the voltage will fluctuate and trip out the low voltage breaker when we are on a section with iced up wires,  we can stop this happening by turning the train heating off for a short while, until we are passed the icy wires. 

But i know a lot more realism is planned.

• Like 1
  • I agree 1

Not directly on topic, but I hope that with increased reality there will also be better tutorials, or written manual, or ideally some kind of a "driving school" scenarios. My issue with SR as it is is that it's virtually impossible to learn unless you already have the knowledge from the real world. The tutorial tells you to press this and this button to get the train moving, but doesn't really explain the inner workings of the train, or how to deal with common malfunctions. I got stuck on the line for this reason way too many times.

Acceptable in Early Access, but should be solved by the final release. I'm all for realism but it should come with tools which let casual players get through the learning curve.

• I agree 2