Idzikowice | End of ETCS Section | Signal Red

Posted (edited)

I was operating the 1435 EIP from Warszawa in the direction of Katowice, running at 200 km/h, approaching the end of the ETCS section just northeast of Idzikowice. The in-cab signalling system instructed me to slow down to 160 km/h and then the system changed to SHP. At this very moment, I passed a yellow signal at 160 km/h and was unable to stop at the next, red signal.

Although I am far from being knowledgeable about Polish signalling, I don't think a train at 160 km/h should be expected to slow down to 0 km/h within a single block. Normally, the train is first instructed to slow down to 100 km/h. 

I am sure I misinterpreted the signals or just don't understand what precisely happened.

When I am under ETCS (in-cab signalling), I do not pay attention to trackside signals. I only started to scan the signals once the ETCS section ended and the system switched to SHP. But at that moment I passed the yellow signal and the train was kind of doomed.

Am I missing some important piece of knowledge here? Can someone shed some light on how a transition from ETCS (in-cab signalling) to SHP is normally dealt with? When should I start to shift attention from the in-cab signalling to the lineside equipment?

I do not use the HUD at all. Just raw data from the instruments/signals/trackside information sources.

Edited by kityatyi
  • I agree 2

Well, driving under full ETCS supervision does not relieve the driver from observing light signals on semaphores. The ETCS system is more important than the semaphore indications, with the exception of the S1 signal (stop). In your case, you simply did not notice or ignored the S3 signal (green flashing) informing you about 2 clear intervals.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 3
  • I agree 4

I don't know what it is like in Poland, but in Spain under ETCS the light signals are ignored. The ETCS should have indicated 0 kmh or start a braking curve

• Thanks 2

18 minut temu, franky83 napisał(a):

I don't know what it is like in Poland, but in Spain under ETCS the light signals are ignored. The ETCS should have indicated 0 kmh or start a braking curve

In Poland, the fully supervised ETCS system is also more important than signals on semaphores, apart from the S1 signal as I mentioned above. Normally, a braking curve would also appear before the "stop" signal, but in the above example, the player left the ETCS supervision area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • I agree 1

Posted (edited)

Indeed. I must have passed an S3 without noticing - but if that was the case, I ignored it because I only focused on the ETCS instruction to slow down to 160 km/h - and then SHP kicked in with the first signal I paid attention to being an S5. I was confused because there appeared to be no forewarning that I needed to stop as the last ETCS instruction was a 160 and then it ended without commanding further deceleration. 

Next time I will pay more attention to the lineside signals when approaching the end of an ETCS section. 

Whether the above was an inaccuracy regarding the placement of signals or the logic or simply me not fully understanding what was going on is still unclear to me. I want to fully know what is what so I can drive accurately (without any aid such as the HUD).

Thanks for your input guys!

Edited by kityatyi

Posted (edited)

What was your route viewing distance on the ETCS screen? If I recall correctly, when you take the train over, your ETCS screen will only show the first kilometre of the track by default. For speeds over 120km/h, I recommend increasing the visibility distance to 4 or 8km (160/200 is a must). You need to increase route vision distance on your ETCS screen. In the Bottom Right Corner of the ETCS screen, you will see +/- icons (numbers 8 and 9?), which will increase your distance bar. With increased distance, you can see what to expect reasonably in advance. I hope this will help.

Imagine running 200km/h, and your vision distance on the ETCS screen is 1km. Good luck trying to break; it will be too late by the time you react (without hitting emergency brakes)! That feedback is all based on my experience with ETCS in SimRail.🙂

Edited by Tomcik_Dublin
  • I agree 1

1 godzinę temu, Tomcik_Dublin napisał(a):

Imagine running 200km/h, and your vision distance on the ETCS screen is 1km. Good luck trying to break; it will be too late by the time you react (without hitting emergency brakes)!

Of course, increasing the distance on the ECTS screen helps with orientation on the trail, but it has nothing to do with the ability to brake, for example, before a "stop" signal. The system will display the braking curve well in advance anyway.

• I agree 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Tomcik_Dublin said:

What was your route viewing distance on the ETCS screen? If I recall correctly, when you take the train over, your ETCS screen will only show the first kilometre of the track by default. For speeds over 120km/h, I recommend increasing the visibility distance to 4 or 8km (160/200 is a must). You need to increase route vision distance on your ETCS screen. In the Bottom Right Corner of the ETCS screen, you will see +/- icons (numbers 8 and 9?), which will increase your distance bar. With increased distance, you can see what to expect reasonably in advance. I hope this will help.

Imagine running 200km/h, and your vision distance on the ETCS screen is 1km. Good luck trying to break; it will be too late by the time you react (without hitting emergency brakes)! That feedback is all based on my experience with ETCS in SimRail.🙂

I always set the zoom to 4000 m and then zoom in further if and when needed. The zoom level, however, does not change the fact that the ETCS section ended and the last instruction was to slow dow to 160 km/h.

Edited by kityatyi