Is the EU07 a lame duck ? EDIT: NO, not any more !

One of my favourite locomotives is the EU07. I love the sound of this old lady, with it's clicking relais. But now, after many rides as a passenger and freight train, I doubt if it is a bit underpowered.

When riding a freight train at certain uphill passages I was often at a point when I was not able to get it to move again once it had stopped. I CAREFULLY cranked up the throttle and the only result was that the security mechanism switched off the electricity in the end. In Multiplayer mode only the activation of the bot saved me...

As a passenger train the locomotives on these uphill passages only reaches about 50% of the maximum speed although the throttle indication is green and the "turbo" is activated 100%.

Is there anything that I have missed ? At least it should be possible to get a train to move again after a stop ?

And does someone know if the real EU07 behaves like that ?

Edited by Glendathu

Gerade eben schrieb Glendathu:

When riding a freight train at certain uphill passages I was often at a point when I was not able to get it to move again once it had stopped. I CAREFULLY cranked up the throttle and the only result was that the security mechanism switched off the electricity in the end. In Multiplayer mode only the activation of the bot saved me...

When there was a overcurrent trip, then you werent carefull enough. On some freight tains you really need to stay on the first notches for some time. You can also activate the high current knob which allows you to go up to 800A instead of 600A. On some steep grades there is a sign "T" on the signal which means that freight trains can go past a red signal with 20 kmh because once stopped they couldnt get moving again.

Gerade eben schrieb Glendathu:

As a passenger train the locomotives on these uphill passages only reaches about 50% of the maximum speed although the throttle indication is green and the "turbo" is activated 100%.

by "turbo" you mean the shunting lever?. Are you sure that both driving engines were activated after postion 28 ? Because if you use the shunting lever at position 28 and then move to 29 you need to put the shunting lever back to 0 and then when reaching 43 you can use it again . 

Also did you have wheel slip?

If you actually cant reach full speed on passenger service even on uphill routes, then you are definitely doing something wrong.

https://simrail.wiki/de/SimRail/Polen/Züge/EP07

Edited by sf_giants15
  • Like 1
  • I agree 1

• SIMRAIL Team

Also the EU07 and EP07 have different transmission setting - the EU07 will have more torque when starting from standstill, but won't keep the greater speeds with heavy load, and the EP07 will speed up more easily and reach the top speed, but with lighter loads. The "U" in the name stands for "Universal" (but not really "Freight"), and the "P" is for "Passenger".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

vor 5 Stunden schrieb sf_giants15:

When there was a overcurrent trip, then you werent carefull enough. On some freight tains you really need to stay on the first notches for some time. You can also activate the high current knob which allows you to go up to 800A instead of 600A. On some steep grades there is a sign "T" on the signal which means that freight trains can go past a red signal with 20 kmh because once stopped they couldnt get moving again.

by "turbo" you mean the shunting lever?. Are you sure that both driving engines were activated after postion 28 ? Because if you use the shunting lever at position 28 and then move to 29 you need to put the shunting lever back to 0 and then when reaching 43 you can use it again . 

Also did you have wheel slip?

If you actually cant reach full speed on passenger service even on uphill routes, then you are definitely doing something wrong.

https://simrail.wiki/de/SimRail/Polen/Züge/EP07

Thanks for the link ! This is all very good explained.

I was aware that there was an overcurrent at some point. When I tried to accellerate, after every notch I waited to see if the Loco moves...but it didn't.

I'm not sure if I had wheelslip, there was no special sound like in the other locos when they have wheelslip. I'll try the high current knob next time. And watch for the T on a signal.

And I did not know that to use the shunting lever in 43, you had to set it back to 0 first. Again thanks, your comment was very helpfull !!

Your main indication are the amperemeters (in yellow) - as a general rule of thumb that seems to be applicable across manufacturers, you want to keep those at the lower half of the scale shown. Then you should be safe from tripping the protections.

What affects it is the available voltage (in blue), but I don't think it's simulated at the moment. If that drops lower than around 2,75 kV, you may need to apply less power than usual. Train heating affects it as well, but that's not usually problem with freight trains.

There are couple trains in the game that are super heavy, but so far I could get anything moving without problems just by applying throttle carefully, I don't use any of the overcurrent modes, as they tend to increase wear and tear of the loco significantly.

image.thumb.png.fed09cb5bd76ea332387b2abc662a47d.png

• Like 1

Just to add to your post: on the EU07 the max is 600A, or 800A in high current mode but only with the motors in series.

Keep in mind that voltage spikes (are they simulated in SimRail? I get confused with another Polish sim) may suddenly increase the current a bit, so keep some clearance from the 600A limit to avoid tripping the motors protection.

With that said, your priority should be staying the least time possible in the positions that use resistors. The motors can take some high current for a while, the resistors don't like being kept on for too long - so don't hesitate to drive at high currents, especially when starting.

• I agree 1