Stutttttering

TheShotte

Stuttering  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• SIMRAIL Team
Just now, hyzwar said:

The difference is small indeed. Interesting. And this feature is not AMD exclusive 🙂

Well, not really. AMD FSR is hardware-dependent, so it is, as is nVidia DLSS. Insomniac Games' Temporal Injection for example, is hardware independent, and works both on AMD and nVidia GPU's, and hence not AMD exclusive. FSR however, is totally AMD exclusive.

AMD FSR is hardware-dependent,

"DLSS requires an Nvidia RTX 20- or 30-series GPU, while FSR works with graphics cards from AMD and Nvidia. Official support goes back to GTX 10-series and Radeon RX 400 series, though FSR can still work on older hardware."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/what-is-amd-fidelityfx-super-resolution/

• Like 1
  • I agree 1

• SIMRAIL Team
7 hours ago, Bremen said:

"DLSS requires an Nvidia RTX 20- or 30-series GPU, while FSR works with graphics cards from AMD and Nvidia. Official support goes back to GTX 10-series and Radeon RX 400 series, though FSR can still work on older hardware."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/what-is-amd-fidelityfx-super-resolution/

Interesting! I did not know that. Also did not know that my previous GPU technically supported FSR 1.0...

Edited by TheShotte

• SIMRAIL Team
7 hours ago, hyzwar said:

I am prety sure this works with most NVIDIA non-ancient GPUs as well. Like 100% sure.

I didn't see this reply until now. Just so you know, it's not that I didn't believe you, I was truly convinced FSR was AMD only. Why? I have no clue, I just was. I really have to start giving AMD more credit.

I would like to know which version of FSR is supported by SimRail though. Judging by the fact that it just says "AMD FSR", I think it's FSR 1.0.

Edited by TheShotte
Confusion
  • Like 1

I'm also dealing with game stuttering.
Most of the time the game will get stuck and then it will show that I have been disconnected from the server.
It usually happens when I build a train track and the train is approaching the station.

yesterday i did get a bit of stuttering,  when moving the camera positions, or switching to the external camera etc,

but i deduced this was due to the server i was on, as when i changed to a different server, i got butter smooth results, i could move the cameras view about wildly and not a single stutter,

• SIMRAIL Team
15 minutes ago, Gazz292 said:

yesterday i did get a bit of stuttering,  when moving the camera positions, or switching to the external camera etc,

but i deduced this was due to the server i was on, as when i changed to a different server, i got butter smooth results, i could move the cameras view about wildly and not a single stutter,

Yup, that seems to coincide with what I've discovered. Empty server, or just a handful of people, game runs smooth. Busy server, 15+ people, LOTS of stutters.

Edited by TheShotte

2 hours ago, hyzwar said:

Try to delete SimKol folder located in ..\LocalLow

Thanks for the advice, but even after deleting it takes time. 
I'll build the train track, everything is fine.
As soon as the train appears at the entrance signal, the game freezes and waits a while to see what happens. Finally disconnecting from the server.

On 12/14/2022 at 11:08 AM, BigVern said:

I will but of course that will decrease the visual enjoyment.

I really need a new PC but at current prices a new medium specification rig is > £1200. And I doubt my current box would benefit from a RTX 2060 even, especially with only 450w PSU.

I had the same stuttering you describe and it was down to the texture resolution being set to full.  Reduced this to half and no longer have stutters.  This was happening when driving and it loaded new areas as well as changing the view (froze/stuttered for a few seconds).  I've got it running at 4k, most settings on high/ultra using an 8700K@4.7GHz and a 3080 and its now a really nice experience.  There are still things I'd like to see improved but at least the stuttering is gone.

• SIMRAIL Team

I have 8 Gb VRAM with 16 Gb of RAM. There is no reason why it should stutter, even on Full Resolution textures. Also, I wish there was a way the game could gauge it's VRAM usage in the menus (like other games), so you would know before hand which settings will kill your GPU.

6 minutes ago, TheShotte said:

I have 8 Gb VRAM with 16 Gb of RAM. There is no reason why it should stutter, even on Full Resolution textures. Also, I wish there was a way the game could gauge it's VRAM usage in the menus (like other games), so you would know before hand which settings will kill your GPU.

Have you tested by reducing to half resolution textures to see if that resolves the issue?  I don't know what resolution "full resolution" textures are so depending on what the devs use for full res it might bring many systems to their knees when loading them in.  Instead of asking the same question multiple times, try the advice given, see if it helps in your case then come back if it doesn't.  I'd much rather have a nice smooth experience on "half resolution textures" than a stuttering one on full res and it still looks good to me.

• SIMRAIL Team
12 minutes ago, Wonderbadger said:

Have you tested by reducing to half resolution textures to see if that resolves the issue?  I don't know what resolution "full resolution" textures are so depending on what the devs use for full res it might bring many systems to their knees when loading them in.  Instead of asking the same question multiple times, try the advice given, see if it helps in your case then come back if it doesn't.  I'd much rather have a nice smooth experience on "half resolution textures" than a stuttering one on full res and it still looks good to me.

Of course. It's the first thing I tried. The stuttering persists. Every X amount of minutes, there is stuttering/freeze for 1-2 seconds. Maybe I mislabeled the topic, but from what I gathered, the quantity of players has a big effect on this.

1 hour ago, TheShotte said:

Of course. It's the first thing I tried. The stuttering persists. Every X amount of minutes, there is stuttering/freeze for 1-2 seconds. Maybe I mislabeled the topic, but from what I gathered, the quantity of players has a big effect on this.

Apologies, I hadn't seen any update from you to say you had tried the texture size change and it hand't worked.  I'll keep more of an eye out to see if I get any stuttering and if there is any pattern to it 🙂

On 12/14/2022 at 5:27 PM, Gazz292 said:

i get the occasional pause for a second or 2,  it must be when something big is being loaded in?

and sometimes i seem to get on a server where swapping cameras results in some lag, but if i switch to a different server i can get no delay at all.

so i'm not sure if it's the data going between the servers causing the lags (is this possible?)
It's nowhere as bad as tsw's pauses, glitches and lags.

I run everything set on high or ultra,

Lenovo Legion 5i pro gaming laptop.
i7-12700H
16GB DDR5 - 4800 (upgrading to 32 or 64 gigs soon)
RTX 3070 Ti
1 TB SSD M.2 2280
Running at 2560 x 1600 Resolution, @ 60Hz (screen can do 165 Hz, but i see no need for that on a driving sim)

A lot of RAM is used.
I have 16 gigabytes almost all filled, but I play in 4k.
Jerks sometimes occur, but rarely, not to the point of irritation.

• SIMRAIL Team
2 hours ago, BigVern said:

One piece of advice, try and change the texture settings before driving - I played around with them and each time hitting Apply the game froze up and then booted me from the server after a few seconds.

Right. Before I posted the above response, I actually went in and played again with 1/2 Resolution Textures just to make sure I'm not talking out my rear. Anyway, I decided to change the texture settings, and restart the game completely before playing to make sure they're applied. As before, I was getting perfectly smooth gameplay, just when I was switching to exterior camera, there is a mild, almost unnoticeable stutter, and when driving at random times there are stutters.