Ability to lean out of the windows (trains / disptacher stations)

Ability to lean out of the locomotive windows in cabin, if it is open (especially at the station).
Also it would be great to have this option for the dispatcher stations.

• Like 1
  • I agree 14

I was thinking the same thing for a long time.
I always leave the seat, go to the window and open it and then press the "4" key to look outside at a station 😄

I would love to see an animation to look outside the window just like the leaving the train through the door animation.

I'd suggest:
The animation only works if the window has been opened. Then you can click in the open window which opens this little HUD menu where you can click on "look outside the window" and then the animation to move the head out of the window starts. After that you have a free camera to look arround and not just one direction like the "4" key 

• Like 6
  • I agree 6

• 4 months later...
  • SIMRAIL Team

That's because when you're sitting to the right, you wouldn't be able to lean out of the left window. The same thing goes with the ET25, which has the openable windows so far away from the driver's seat, you would have to get up and move closer to the window to lean out of it.

12 hours ago, GoppelPL said:

That's because when you're sitting to the right, you wouldn't be able to lean out of the left window. The same thing goes with the ET25, which has the openable windows so far away from the driver's seat, you would have to get up and move closer to the window to lean out of it.

But you can lean out if you stand up (which itself is allowed in SimRail), and many drivers seem to be doing it even on the "wrong side" during the departure (at least in countries neighbouring Poland, I'm not 100% sure if I saw it in PL itself).

vor 3 Stunden schrieb the810:

But you can lean out if you stand up (which itself is allowed in SimRail), and many drivers seem to be doing it even on the "wrong side" during the departure (at least in countries neighbouring Poland, I'm not 100% sure if I saw it in PL itself).

I agree on that. If you have a platform on the left hand side I would say you have to leave the seat and look out the window to see that everything is safe for departure. since some EU07 or the 186 dont have a mirror

• I agree 1

• SIMRAIL Team
27 minut temu, sf_giants15 napisał(a):

I would say you have to leave the seat and look out the window to see that everything is safe for departure

That's what you have your conductors for. They are responsible for looking for passengers jumping in and out of the running train, not the driver, who is required to look ahead and see if everything is safe for driving.

It would also be impossible to either give power or brake (if there was some danger) while standing in the left window, when the power and brake controllers are to the right.

• I agree 3

ok than I think its a little different to germany. On egional and regional express trains the train driver looked out of the window for departure. And on Inter city trains the conductor gets out and gives the train driver a signal who also looked out of the window. At least thats what I noticed but to be honest Im not a train driver in real life 😁

• I agree 2

7 hours ago, sf_giants15 said:

ok than I think its a little different to germany. On egional and regional express trains the train driver looked out of the window for departure. And on Inter city trains the conductor gets out and gives the train driver a signal who also looked out of the window. At least thats what I noticed but to be honest Im not a train driver in real life 😁

Same in Slovakia or Czechia (and a bunch of other railways). Drivers still look out of the window a) for safety reasons, b) to receive the dispatch signal from the conductor (the latter is not relevant in Poland where the dispatch signal is given via radio, but that's not the case in most of Europe).

I appreciate that this is the way it's done in Poland and the simulation is realistic in this regard, but it's something to keep the mind on when expanding further outside Poland.

• I agree 1

as mentioned above, most Polish trains do not have the shunting / auxiliary controls mounted by the side windows that trains in Germany have, 

so you'd need very long arms to be looking out the left hand window and operating the power wheel and brake lever. 

It just takes 1 or 2 key presses to get the view looking backwards from the front of the train, i do this all the time,  it'd get annoying fast to have to keep clicking with the mouse to open the window, select the look out option, move the view to be looking backwards,  where as pressing number 4 you are looking back along the train in 1/4 of a second. 

I on the other Hand like like opening the window and have this lean out animation 😄

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Gazz292:

so you'd need very long arms to be looking out the left hand window and operating the power wheel and brake lever. 

Dont they just look out the window and then go back to the seat and start driving?