Traxx annoying background sound

1 hour ago, sf_giants15 said:

Is it just me or is this high frequency, high pitch background noise in cab view of the 186 annoying as hell? I really get headache after some time and cant drive it more then 30 min

I love the sound 😄

• I agree 2

That's the life of a train driver, it is a noisy environment in the cab of a locomotive (a lot less than it used to be, hearing loss for older train drivers used to be common) 

When i use my 7.1 surround sound system and drive the EU07 / EP08, the drone of the converter when you are stopped can be very annoying, so i turn the converter off if i'm stopped at a station for more than 1 minute.... have to remember to turn it back on when i start off again as the air compressor runs off the converter, and not the batteries, so when the air pressure drops enough the brakes begin to drag (after being applied and released... they cant fully release due to low air pressure) 

The more modern locomotives you will be hearing the high pitched inverter whine, all part of the realism that SimRail captures so well.

1 hour ago, Gazz292 said:

so i turn the converter off if i'm stopped at a station for more than 1 minute.... have to remember to turn it back on when i start off again as the air compressor runs off the converter, and not the batteries, so when the air pressure drops enough the brakes begin to drag (after being applied and released... they cant fully release due to low air pressure) 

Is this what a driver is supposed to do when in the station? I've been opening the main circuit breaker and closing it again when I set off!

When i use my 7.1 surround sound system 

Also, how do you find the sound in SimRail when using surround sound? I find it much better than the other simulators, which were good until 2014 and a Windows driver update broke surround sound to the point I could no longer use it.

SimRail is amazing in 7.1 surround sound, it really adds another dimension (my set up is dolby atmos, with 2 of the speakers hanging from the ceiling) using an AV amp,  i also use TrackIr (Tobii web cam in my laptop - FaceTrackNoIR - TrackIr) and it's amazing to turn my head and hear the sounds moving around depending on where i look. 

I drive mostly the EU07 / EP08, and love hearing the clicks from the power wheel Infront of me, then the thunks behind me from the high voltage compartment of the tap changer notching up. 

And other trains passing me is awesome to hear, especially a freight going over some points so i hear the flange squeal] along the train, and the thunka-thuds of the wheels on each wagon going over the frog of the points.  

I sometimes wear headphones, some of those that do a fake surround sound using just 2 'speakers' and it's ok, much better than stereo, but not quite as immersive as a proper surround sound speaker setup (i guess the distances to the actual speakers plays a part) 

After a nearly 4 hour drive in the EP08 my ears are ringing from the converter drone (i have tinnitus, so i expect that)   but i can imagine every real life driver of these loco's has tinnitus too... there's no volume knob in a real loco.

Re what a real driver does at a station:  i'm not sure,  i believe that opening the main breaker will kill power to the coaches, so the A/C / heating will go off, and the lights will run on the batteries (each coach has an axle driven generator i notice) 
But... you can't accidentally drive off leaving the main breaker off like you can with turning the converter off. 

It varies between locos, but in lot of older engines you can turn off compressors and ventilators during standing, which reduces lot of the loud noises of the engine. The annoying part of noises can be sometimes limited by deselecting direction, as on some machines it physically disconnects part of the electrical circuits. Opening main breaker is not very common for the reasons said above, it cuts off train power line, effectively turning off coaches. It probably also massively increases wear and tear on batteries.

Wait until comes some thyristor powered loco (if PL has any), then you will find out what it really means loud and annoying sounds 😁

• Like 3

I must be going deaf, I can just hear the high frequency sound described by the original poster (and I think it's prototypical), the noise I hear more is the barking dogs from the engine room! (And now you've read that, you too will hear barking, yapping dogs too......enjoy! 🐶 🤣)