Traxx E186

lDestinyl

I'm not an engineer and I have no idea how accurate the game is to reality, but it seems to me that Traxx brakes very weakly through the electromagnetic brake and in the train brake the air is released too quickly. PXE with Traxx is about 500/600t and the electromagnetic brake barely works. Will you be making any modifications to the Traxx? The video is probably just a separate loco, but the brake is very strong there.

• SIMRAIL Team

The Traxx doesn't have an electromagnetic brake. In the video you provided the driver is using the pure electrodynamic brake in the left handle - when you do this the loco only brakes with its engines and no air pressure. When you use the right handle, the loco brakes lightly with its engines, and the rest of the consist brakes with the air pressure.

Here's a quick video I shot just a minute ago showing first the braking from the left handle, and then the one from the right handle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoppelPL said:

The Traxx doesn't have an electromagnetic brake. In the video you provided the driver is using the pure electrodynamic brake in the left handle - when you do this the loco only brakes with its engines and no air pressure. When you use the right handle, the loco brakes lightly with its engines, and the rest of the consist brakes with the air pressure.

Here's a quick video I shot just a minute ago showing first the braking from the left handle, and then the one from the right handle.

Sorry, I meant dynamic and I spelled it wrong. I know how it works. The loco brakes well on its own, but the problem is when the PXE is in the set. The brake is almost unresponsive below 100km/h. I always have to catch up with the train brake.

22 minutes ago, kojonek2 said:

You can see even on recorded video that it's also decelerating quickly when you use dynamic braking with only locomotive

Is the video of the locomotive itself or the whole train? Because I'm talking about the whole train thing.

28 minutes ago, kojonek2 said:

In both videos, there are only locomotives so I don't know what you are comparing against

I couldn't find a video of the whole train braking. It seems to me that it doesn't matter if TRAXX has freight or passenger cars hitched. I think the braking is weak. Again, I'm just an enthusiast and don't know the reality. Last time I rode with PXE the braking distance over EDB that 100km/h is over 2km. And that seems too much to me.

I tried this on both cargo Traxx and passenger and it did feel like it took far too long for the train to stop on dynamic braking alone with the passenger version. Also I'll have to make a separate bug report when I'm not about to fall asleep but the traxx emergency brakes seem to be broken. The emergency buttons and the radiostop don't do anything anymore

Edited by Dolphin Invasion
  • I agree 1

Electrodynamic brake on the Traxx is limited to 150 kN in total. On a 600 t train, that yields a deceleration of 150,000 N / 600,000 kg = 0.25 m/s². Assuming uniform deceleration over the entire speed range, starting from 140 km/h, it will take 155 seconds to come to a standstill, and the train will have covered 1,512 metres by then. However, in practice, overhead current/electrical power is limited, so brake force will be much reduced at higher speeds. Bearing that in mind, 2–3 kilometres does seem like an entirely reasonable estimate.

• Like 4
  • I agree 2