More keybinds! (aka pretty buttons with a lazy button!)

Hoping that the devs give us more keybinds so I can fill my Stream Deck up!

This is my layout so far for the EN76, with a button simply marked 'Go!' (used in conjunction with the cruise control, simply moves power handle to accelerate for about 3 seconds which engages the cruise control) 

20230314_205027.thumb.jpg.c81c7489f22dc93cc45a73c35a402902.jpg

• Like 4
  • I agree 3

Bought out of frustration with TSW (which I've hardly haven't touched in a month!) having different keybinds depending on which loco/unit you were driving, having one page per traction mean I can have buttons in the same place even if their actual keybinds were something different.

Edited by DazT
  • Like 2
  • I agree 1

It's funny having a "Go!" button and that comes from this me seeing this video (below - 1m32s) ages ago, and I can hear his voice in my head when I press it! I might go one step further, snip that sound and add it to the button so it actually plays it when I press it. I won't go the full hog with a hat and white gloves though pmsl

Edited by DazT
  • Haha 4

57 minutes ago, Dolphin Invasion said:

I need to steal this too for my stream deck 🙂

I need to do a bit more tweaking first. It's doubtful we'll get it (but who knows, the devs might surprise us!) but it'd be nice to have all the cruise control one-press buttons on the EN76 as actual addressable keybindable (probably not a word, it is now!) buttons, rather than my half-hashed attempt that either increments by +/- 5, 10 and 20, which is done by getting it to fire the appropriate number of key presses with a slight pause in between. I thought 5, 10 and 20 would be the easiest for now as if you needed to set 40 for example from 0 you just hit the 20 one twice (with a slight pause in between the presses), or to go from 40 to 70, 20 <pause> then 10.

Edited by DazT
  • Like 1

Apologies to the topicstarter if I shift the focus from his fancy stream deck, I would like to +1 this and in addition to this I would like to mention that having different keys for different throttle and brake positions would have been good as well.

Whatever train you take, right now we have iterational approach (disabled -> press  a key -> minimum electrodyn -> press -> maximum electrodyn -> press -> pneumo etc)
I would like to be able to push the controller to the 4th position immediately with one key press and then increase/decrease it with plus/minus.
Like an emergency braking but for each position available for each specific train.

Also different levels for each position would be good. Like for instance my favorite EU07 - it would be great if we could control the controller angle with CTRL+NUM1 --- CTRL+NUM9.
Please note, I do not mean the pressure here, because the pressure is not a constant and is not affected immediately, what I mean is the controller position from 0 to 100 in percentage for the current position, whatever pressure it will give.

Same for the throttle. I would like to be able to set throttle to 0 immediately without holding and waiting for it to be set to 0 (like pendolino).

• Like 1

And any common shared keybinds really need to be the same, unlike that other company's product where two (or near) identical items of traction can have different keybinds (more so with the Raildriver than the keyboard, that's the only reason why I got the stream deck because the blue quick keys on the RailDriver on TSW is different on every bit of traction!)

Edited by DazT

well, really we do need a different set of "user assignable" keybinds for each train, 
as not many trains share exactly the same controls,  i.e. there's no cruise control lever / buttons in the EU07, and no shunt regulator lever in the elf, trax, pendolino etc.. the modern trains have all the computer screens with ~10+ buttons around their edges, and often a single rotary switch for head and tail lights,  the EU07 has ~5 individual switches for setting the head and tail lights for the different codes they display.

The problem will be in 5 years time when there are 50+ different trains to drive from around the world in SimRail, but only one single menu for setting up all keybinds, it'll take 10 minutes to scroll to the end of it due to all the different controls for different trains, and if you are stuck with assigning a single key to a single control, things will get very messy fast. 

So having maybe a global basic controls menu for the main controls that all trains have like throttle, brake, horn etc, ideal for those who just like a 'go and stop' style of control.

Then have seperate menus / files to change for those who want to adjust the individual controls that apply to certain trains, with the ability to then spilt out the control assignments if you wish, i.e. to set say the arrow left and right keys to move the EU07's power wheel left and right, and the arrow up and down keys to move the elf's joysticks style power / brake lever up and down and so on.

:

:

But where that other game went wrong was getting different people to set up the hard coded binds on the raildriver, one person thought 'i'll have the first 3 buttons for PZB',  then the next person thought 'i'll have PZB on the last 3 buttons' they did the same for the levers too and it was hell trying to remember which button / lever did which. 

If they'd given people the ability to set the controls how it suited them, the end user, things would have been a million times better, as no 2 people want the same control layout. 

But they didn't, they thought they knew best and had a 'take it or leave it' attitude to the control schemes, and a lot of people left it and moved onto other simulators, even going back to a 15 year old train game because it gave them the freedom to set it up to suite them, the end user.

2 hours ago, Gazz292 said:

well, really we do need a different set of "user assignable" keybinds for each train, 
as not many trains share exactly the same controls,  i.e. there's no cruise control lever / buttons in the EU07, and no shunt regulator lever in the elf, trax, pendolino etc.. the modern trains have all the computer screens with ~10+ buttons around their edges, and often a single rotary switch for head and tail lights,  the EU07 has ~5 individual switches for setting the head and tail lights for the different codes they display.

The problem will be in 5 years time when there are 50+ different trains to drive from around the world in SimRail, but only one single menu for setting up all keybinds, it'll take 10 minutes to scroll to the end of it due to all the different controls for different trains, and if you are stuck with assigning a single key to a single control, things will get very messy fast. 

So having maybe a global basic controls menu for the main controls that all trains have like throttle, brake, horn etc, ideal for those who just like a 'go and stop' style of control.

Then have seperate menus / files to change for those who want to adjust the individual controls that apply to certain trains, with the ability to then spilt out the control assignments if you wish, i.e. to set say the arrow left and right keys to move the EU07's power wheel left and right, and the arrow up and down keys to move the elf's joysticks style power / brake lever up and down and so on.

:

:

But where that other game went wrong was getting different people to set up the hard coded binds on the raildriver, one person thought 'i'll have the first 3 buttons for PZB',  then the next person thought 'i'll have PZB on the last 3 buttons' they did the same for the levers too and it was hell trying to remember which button / lever did which. 

If they'd given people the ability to set the controls how it suited them, the end user, things would have been a million times better, as no 2 people want the same control layout. 

But they didn't, they thought they knew best and had a 'take it or leave it' attitude to the control schemes, and a lot of people left it and moved onto other simulators, even going back to a 15 year old train game because it gave them the freedom to set it up to suite them, the end user.

In short, make a keybind profile for each locomotive.

• Like 1

In a contrary I made for myself a control box which allows me to control different locos. 

It works under MMJoy2 with JoyToKey.

The only thing that winds me up a bit is missing keybinds for some vital controls. But since this game is still in early development I reckon more keybinds are still to come

16789058625646426192044159536801.jpg

• Like 4
  • I agree 1

that is awesome, 
one day we will have proper joystick support in SimRail,   it's a pain in the ass having to use things like joy to key at times for sure.

each update of SimRail i eagerly check the buttons.conf folder to see if anything new has been added, all i noticed was one of the 'test' entries was removed,

• Like 2

Best investment I got besides the pretty buttons was a cheap foot pedal off Amazon, originally for acknowledging SIFA in that other game, but works just a well for acknowledging the CA/SHP in SimRail.

Comes into it's own if you're doing those 4 hour runs you can just lounge back with one foot on the floor tapping away 🤣

Edited by DazT