Inappropriate avatars

Dear Community,

I've noticed some players lately with avatars that might be considered inappropriate or even offensive, e.g. I remember having seen avatars depicting Josip Stalin and Wladimir Putin. I think we should agree that politics, any reference to extremist groups, nudity, violence, etc. should strictly be kept out of the context of the simulator, even if Steam's avatar policies are not strict enough or just not enforced strictly enough in such matters.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Define extremist group. Because with the sensitivity that we currently have, where freedom of expression and opinion are no longer valid, even a support group for kittens can be extremist. Honestly, I don't even pay attention to those things (avatars).

• I disagree 2
  • I agree 5

This topic can get out of hand very easily, so I'll try to explain some stuff once and for all. Our profile pics (for the most part) are linked to Steam, so if Steam is okay with them, then I doubt anyone will change them because of a single game. If the picture is too offensive (objectively speaking), the moderators, or even the developers, might intervene. But then again Steam itself would be the first to quickly remove the photo. 

For example, my naked Spongebob profile pic has not received any negative reviews so far, but if anyone is offended by it, I do apologize but that doesn't mean I'll change it, to satisfy a single person.

Unless you're a mod/dev. 😳

P.S. Don't try to extend this topic too much, unless you have something important to say. If it does get out of hand, it will most likely be locked, and for good reason. 

Edited by Spong
  • I agree 6

personally, i find it more annoying the people who have no avatar, or set the question mark one deliberately, 

sometimes i see 3 or 4 train moving around the map with those avatars and i wonder is it a server glitch or is it 4 different people (it's usually the latter) 

• I agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
W dniu 20.02.2023 o 01:16, franky83 napisał(a):

Define extremist group. Because with the sensitivity that we currently have, where freedom of expression and opinion are no longer valid, even a support group for kittens can be extremist. Honestly, I don't even pay attention to those things (avatars).

Probably no need to define extremist group,  this can be found with ChatGPT. It is more about awareness of certain situations we are experiencing. SimRail is being developed by a Polish company and, like many other companies, because of its geopolitical position, it is subject to attacks from organised groups who do not like everything that is successful in this country. We should keep eye out for behaviour that is symptomatic of abovementioned and indicate its inappropriateness

• I agree 2

If you are scared of an avatar, remember to check your sanity. it's just a small photo on a computer screen, it cannot hurt you physically. You can move on. Avatars are even smaller than proper full blown pictures, they might have an impact, but an avatar can't do anything.

• I disagree 3
  • I agree 3

3 hours ago, dis0nored said:

If you are scared of an avatar, remember to check your sanity. it's just a small photo on a computer screen, it cannot hurt you physically. You can move on. Avatars are even smaller than proper full blown pictures, they might have an impact, but an avatar can't do anything.

It can also remind you of topics you don't wanna think about while playing a simulator. That makes my experience worse.

Edited by Goozinger
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree 3

10 hours ago, Goozinger said:

It can also remind you of topics you don't wanna think about while playing a simulator. That makes my experience worse.

Well I can see it from your view point no doubt. I have my favorites and not so favorites much like others. It's a tricky one. I do support the idea of restrictions on politicaly motivated avatars with reasonable application. It can also prevent however like minded people becoming friends quicker but it can can also go the other way no doubt. The best solution could be to simply introduce a system where you are given an avatar and you are not able to upload anything. So all the power is given to the forum administrator where in hope he has thought of everything for the task.

It seems like people here have to connect via steam login to acess the forum, you may want to modify this rule and say, the forum user is now assigned an avatar and you have these options for now. So the forum would overwrite steam's avatar currrently displayed. it could help to bring some sort of stability in the problem possibly

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, dis0nored said:

Well I can see it from your view point no doubt. I have my favorites and not so favorites much like others. It's a tricky one. I do support the idea of restrictions on politicaly motivated avatars with reasonable application. It can also prevent however like minded people becoming friends quicker but it can can also go the other way no doubt. The best solution could be to simply introduce a system where you are given an avatar and you are not able to upload anything. So all the power is given to the forum administrator where in hope he has thought of everything for the task.

It seems like people here have to connect via steam login to acess the forum, you may want to modify this rule and say, the forum user is now assigned an avatar and you have these options for now. So the forum would overwrite steam's avatar currrently displayed. it could help to bring some sort of stability in the problem possibly

I am totally supporting your idea. Though i can't see the advantage of two People having a Stalin and Hitler avatar becoming friends faster. Not that I mind too much but I think it's better they never meet. No one would ever care if Donald and Daisy Duck Avatars fall in love quickly and play together every day 😉

• I disagree 1
  • Haha 2
  • I agree 2

Unless I missed something and they have implemented my totally brilliant idea of having the avatars graffitied on the trains, there are no avatars in-game.

(Just as I was thinking of suggesting custom horns... 😁)

Maybe adding a feature to the forum in which users can disable seeing avatars is more than enough?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Goozinger said:

I am totally supporting your idea. Though i can't see the advantage of two People having a Stalin and Hitler avatar becoming friends faster. Not that I mind too much but I think it's better they never meet. No one would ever care if Donald and Daisy Duck Avatars fall in love quickly and play together every day 😉

I enjoyed the humor with your imput. Thanks, I could go even more about it but it's not suitable for this forum, the humor would be quite dark.