Not understanding Upscaling use in Settings

I run Simrail on a 1080-1920 tv screen. Do I need to upscale or do I just use the anti-aliasing options ? I have Nvidea RTX 2070 which I believe supports DLSS. I do not notice any difference either way. Possibly the DLSS setting is a little better but it is hard to tell. I thought upscaling meant improving the display on higher res. monitors than my TV.

Edited by chamberhorse
spelling

i believe it's to do with reducing jagglies, shimmering and that, 

It loads the screen at double (or more) the resolution, does something with the mipmaps (averaging the edge pixels and stuff) then scales it down to the resolution you are using, doing this results in a much nicer view than if it was loaded and displayed at the same resolution,  but this takes processing power to do, which most modern-ish gpu's can handle with ease. 

that's about as much as i understand.

On 2/8/2023 at 11:25 PM, Gazz292 said:

i believe it's to do with reducing jagglies, shimmering and that, 

It loads the screen at double (or more) the resolution, does something with the mipmaps (averaging the edge pixels and stuff) then scales it down to the resolution you are using, doing this results in a much nicer view than if it was loaded and displayed at the same resolution,  but this takes processing power to do, which most modern-ish gpu's can handle with ease. 

that's about as much as i understand.

Yes, that’s a basic description of multi-sample anti-aliasing (MSAA).