Proposals for the improvement of dispatchers in the north

Hello All,

First of all, I would like to say that I am a big fan of multiplayer, where players can both drive and direct traffic. That's why I think it's good that more and more signal boxes are being taken over by humans. But the current model also has disadvantages. Anyone who has ever waited for a particular signal box will have noticed that a few are always vacant. These include, above all, the northern stations Knapowka, Gora Wlodowska and Pilichowice. In my opinion, this is mainly due to the fact that there is hardly anything to direct, hardly any trains pass by, and hardly any of them stop. Some signal boxes have barely anything to adjust or even sometimes a 30min break.

Modern technology has made it possible for a dispatcher to operate several signal boxes. So why not introduce that here as well? The three northernmost signal boxes (Opocno Poludnie, Pilichowice and Olszamowice) could very well be merged. This could look like this, for example:

image.thumb.png.16ef472bc2e49ab7bc27d23171b283c7.png

This would give the dispatcher much more to do. If there were a few freight trains running to Idzikowice, that could become my new favorite place as a dispatcher. Will the train make it to the next waiting track? Can someone overtake on the fly? Where else do I put the long freight train? Yes, you would lose 2 places for dispatchers, but the increase in quality should more than compensate for the increase in quantity.

In addition, Kanpowka could be merged with Wloszczowa Polnoc, creating a dispatcher for the crossing with Line 61. Possibly Psary could also be integrated there, creating a more complex form of the previous triple combination.

• Like 4
  • I agree 16

• 2 weeks later...

I like this idea especially since Pillichowice is mainly there to divert trains on left track so they dont hold express trains behind passengers waiting for the 1 platform station at Opoczno Poludnie. So it would make sense to have 1 dispatcher to handle Pillichowice qnd the 2 surrounding it. Perhaps it is something for the future and at the moment just made it so there are more available options in multiplayer so we can wait and see until more stations are built.

On 2/5/2023 at 7:05 PM, Raptor-Eins-Null said:

Hello All,

First of all, I would like to say that I am a big fan of multiplayer, where players can both drive and direct traffic. That's why I think it's good that more and more signal boxes are being taken over by humans. But the current model also has disadvantages. Anyone who has ever waited for a particular signal box will have noticed that a few are always vacant. These include, above all, the northern stations Knapowka, Gora Wlodowska and Pilichowice. In my opinion, this is mainly due to the fact that there is hardly anything to direct, hardly any trains pass by, and hardly any of them stop. Some signal boxes have barely anything to adjust or even sometimes a 30min break.

Modern technology has made it possible for a dispatcher to operate several signal boxes. So why not introduce that here as well? The three northernmost signal boxes (Opocno Poludnie, Pilichowice and Olszamowice) could very well be merged. This could look like this, for example:

image.thumb.png.16ef472bc2e49ab7bc27d23171b283c7.png

This would give the dispatcher much more to do. If there were a few freight trains running to Idzikowice, that could become my new favorite place as a dispatcher. Will the train make it to the next waiting track? Can someone overtake on the fly? Where else do I put the long freight train? Yes, you would lose 2 places for dispatchers, but the increase in quality should more than compensate for the increase in quantity.

In addition, Kanpowka could be merged with Wloszczowa Polnoc, creating a dispatcher for the crossing with Line 61. Possibly Psary could also be integrated there, creating a more complex form of the previous triple combination.

Anyways, this was discussed also (more or less) in the official Discord, the idea is:

"Yeah, Knapowka/Pilichowice./Biala Rawska/Sprowa will be controlled together with other stations from one dispatcher post."

I also wrote something similar but more "greedy" during the playtests but the thing is that during the year of recreation of the route if I understood correctly, all stations were manned and didn't had a somewhat "CTC" like the one you're suggesting (not saying that you're idea is bad cause it would be a solution for that section that's godforsaken. 🤣

• I agree 1

There are station names visible in the picture when you open the full resolution. Damianowice and Jeziorno Ząbkowickie. I can’t find them on OSM/ORM, so I guess they’re fictional for training purposes.

Though that doesn’t explain why the top centre screen shows the very much real Włoszczowa Północ.