As a driver, do dispatchers holding you back bother you?

If you are trying to get off virtual work early and are running 15 minutes ahead of schedule, does it anger you if a dispatcher puts you on a sidetrack to get you back on time? Has it happened to you? As a dispatcher, do you do this and how well/not so well has it gone?

Edited by SpeedyRetreat

I only hold them till scheduled departure time if they have a stop or a layover at the station, otherwise I'll just give green. I haven't had any complaints but I haven't done that much dispatching either but if someone asks for an exit and if they're not going to affect any other priority train, I don't mind giving them an early departure. As a driver, I won't mind being held until my scheduled departure as it would be realistic, but it has never happened to me as I always drove on EN1 server and whenever I selected a train, it's already running late. Every single time!!!!! 😂

Passenger trains should never depart from a station stop early. 

Freight on the other hand can, as long as it wont delay a following passenger service, and you ask the next signaller if they can accept an early freight. As a freight train driver, it's a given that the train will be 'put inside' for a following faster train or three.

Edited by giBBer8
Spellinz
  • I agree 2

Usually I let them pass, with one big exception: when I'm dispatching Zawiercie. There is so much traffic and so much to do that I don't really have time to think about an early freight. I usually ask if it's ok to wait. I prefer to wait when I'm driving those freights, I can take a toilet break.

The other bigger issue is that entry in Zawiercie from Lazy La Line 1 is so short, you get very little notice before the next passenger comes. I usually keep the freight on the side lines near Line 4 entry from Lazy La, so as not to block Platform 1.

By the time I clear a freight to leave from there, if a late passenger just left Lazy La, the passenger would have already caught up by the time the freight exits Zawiercie.

So no, you can wait :).

Edited by hoppturee-

normaly i let them pass when they dont have a layover at my signalbox and nothing faster is behind them but before i ask the drive if he need a break or not

by passanger trains that are to soon and have a stop i wait thill the platform they should hold is free and let the exit signal behind the platform red till 1 min before Departure so they dont come with stupid ideas 😉

when i am much earlyer with a frighttrain i normaly ask for a break 😄

Edited by Fightdrug
  • Haha 2

As a driver in multiplayer it doesn't bother me at all because it's usually with the purpose of making all trains get to where they want on schedule. We're sharing the tracks and everything that comes with it. Waiting is just part of the experience.

But in singleplayer mode I'd love to be able skip passenger loading times and waiting on reds because it's only the AI and me. More "doing", less "waiting", yes please, in singleplayer mode 🙂

vor 31 Minuten schrieb Wirewalker:

No not at all I nearly always drive frieght trains and just see it as an occupational hazard and probably realistic in most cases. I just turn the bot on and have a break.

agree with that ^^ but i hope in the future the dispatcher ai will be smart enough to see the breaks freak me out sometimes that the AI at bedzin just let you pass when you 30 to early

• I agree 1

DG has no options. SG and BedIn are supposed to lay them over.  My check is if a player is driving, and I ask what the player wants to do.  If asking early departure or going through, I analyze and will still sometimes have a passenger train and have to slow them down.  If clear, through you go.

• I agree 1

I usually take them to siding by default, but if they ask for a go, I will try to find them a slot. Usually the layovers are there for a good reason though. While Będzin can send the 644xxx easily whenever, in SG you basically have only two slots in an hour where you can let the long slow train block you the whole head for five minutes without slowing passenger trains. Zawiercie is similar.

• I agree 2

You did the right thing then, sort of lol

That's weird, it was completely silent in my chat box aside from 1 comment from a fellow driver. Could it be that the radio must be set to the correct number for us to communicate? When jumped into that train I believe the radio was set to channel 1.

vor 13 Minuten schrieb weezzah:

You did the right thing then, sort of lol

That's weird, it was completely silent in my chat box aside from 1 comment from a fellow driver. Could it be that the radio must be set to the correct number for us to communicate? When jumped into that train I believe the radio was set to channel 1.

someone say me that you need to be at the right channel that people in the area hear voice chat but the normal write chat is everytime for people visible that near you ( 10 or 15 km =? ) when you channel was at 1 and you were at the area of bedzin then you were at the wrong channel the channel there is the 2 ^^

1 hour ago, Fightdrug said:

when you channel was at 1 and you were at the area of bedzin then you were at the wrong channel the channel there is the 2

I had a feeling about that... In terms of text chat I must have been within range since I was in the siding at Sosnowiec Glowny. Maybe it was something wrong with the server?

But aren't all AI trains set to channel 1 initially? If they are then maybe it should be set to the correct channel when you spawn into the train instead? There aren't many radio channel signs along the tracks and chances for spawning in after one is high I imagine. And then there's the auto tune radio channel feature... Have to investigate 🙂

Either way, the comms problem was all on me then, sorry for not responding @noirceur

Edit: It appears that it's set to channel 1 when automated radio tuning is off, as expected. BUT, would make sense to take over a train driven by the AI to be configured correctly. If the channel is not set correctly when we take over a train while it's running then the AI has been doing a bad job 😉

Made a suggestion:

Edited by weezzah
  • I agree 2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb weezzah:

I had a feeling about that... In terms of text chat I must have been within range since I was in the siding at Sosnowiec Glowny. Maybe it was something wrong with the server?

But aren't all AI trains set to channel 1 initially? If they are then maybe it should be set to the correct channel when you spawn into the train instead? There aren't many radio channel signs along the tracks and chances for spawning in after one is high I imagine. And then there's the auto tune radio channel feature... Have to investigate 🙂

Either way, the comms problem was all on me then, sorry for not responding @noirceur

Edit: It appears that it's set to channel 1 when automated radio tuning is off, as expected. BUT, would make sense to take over a train driven by the AI to be configured correctly. If the channel is not set correctly when we take over a train while it's running then the AI has been doing a bad job 😉

Made a suggestion:

yeah thats a bug with the EU07 and the traxx they allways on channel 1 and normaly the system tells you that you wrong when you pass the next entrance signal that need to be fixed ^^

Edited by Fightdrug
  • Thanks 1