Pressing the Space Bar automatically puts you in the chat box

Cyclone

This is simply explained by the title alone.  It can happen in phone communication boxes (the chat ones where you type one word, space, and the rest of the sentence goes in the main chat box.  You can copy and paste it, but come on now.  Better to clog up the radio at this point.

You can also leave your train or building and jump around on a platfo-...oh, wait, now you have to type that all-important chat message and stop jumping around, you loafer.

When adding a sign above something in the computer, you type the text you want to apply to th-...wait, now I am not typing.  OK, let's try again...and now it's set.  Oh, where did those letters in the chat box come from?  You guessed it.

Note I have not run the recent update yet, and will report if this is fixed.  Just wondering how many others have this problem.

BTW, there is one way it doesn't happen.  Hide the entire UI.  You can run and jump to your heart's content.

• SIMRAIL Team

The only thing this seems possible is when you set "Write in chat" to spacebar. Apparently the key lacks collision checks with other keys. Unless this is some artifact with using unreasonable key layouts.

15 hours ago, Sui said:

The only thing this seems possible is when you set "Write in chat" to spacebar. Apparently the key lacks collision checks with other keys. Unless this is some artifact with using unreasonable key layouts.

The funny thing is this didn't happen during the playtest.  Once.  It only started happening in the Early Access.  So something changed.

• SIMRAIL Team
12 hours ago, Cyclone said:

The funny thing is this didn't happen during the playtest.  Once.  It only started happening in the Early Access.  So something changed.

Many of missing keys were added. One focuses on chat, so you can just press it and start writing, but doesn't have a default bind yet.

5 hours ago, Sui said:

Many of missing keys were added. One focuses on chat, so you can just press it and start writing, but doesn't have a default bind yet.

Ah, so it was added post-playtest.  It's just kind of odd that the default button is the same one used for typing in other text boxes.  Forget the jumping, just having other typing interrupted means that Space is not the best option for a keybind for that one. 😀

The problem becomes that, for this reason, NO key is safe for this.  Put Z as a default, and you can have a private phone chat "It's boring in here right now, someone order me a piz" and then "za." goes into the public chat.  So having a button for chat is really a useless thing in dispatcher mode.  It should ONLY be a thing when driving a train, I would argue.  Not as a dispatcher.  I say disable it in dispatcher mode.

Edited by Cyclone
Adding more.