Ability to rotate camera views

I think it would be great if we could rotate the cameras (those accessible by keys 4, 5) in the same way we can rotate the driving camera (key 1). At the moment, they are stuck in a certain angle.

This is also applicable to the multi player mode

Edited by andrei105
  • Like 2
  • I agree 6

I agree, i keep trying to move the camera angles to look around the interior of the carriages, 

It is good that pressing '4' goes directly to looking back along the train (press it again yo look from the other side) as if you have put your head out the window to check it's safe as you are leaving the platform, but sometimes i want to adjust the angle a little.

To expand on this, I'd also like to be able to adjust the position of the camera especially for the in-cab camera.

But to be honest I'd prefer a camera system similar to what can be found in flight sims. These systems are in general without limitations, and lets the user decide what are the best views for them depending on their monitor size, what they want to see, or what have you.

The key to make this possible is to use free cameras that can be moved and rotated to any position and angle. This also means that the zoom/FOV can't have preset values as it does now, I believe there is a limitation of 3 possible zoom/FOV settings when using the scroll wheel in SimRail. In a free camera system the zoom can be set to any value between min and max FOV available. It's a smooth zoom change, if you will.

My next favorite thing from flight sim camera systems is quick views. In short it lets the user save custom camera views to number keys. This is how it works:

• To save a view press a modifier key + a number key e.g. Shift + Num 5.
  • To go to the saved view press a modifier key + the number e.g. Ctrl + Num 5

You'd have 10 available custom camera slots with num pad digits 0-9. (However, there could be more if you'd allow any number to be typed e.g Ctrl + 55)

So to summarize: Train sim cameras with limitations = bad, free cameras and custom views = good 😃

• I agree 4

I think that the current method of having a single global key binding and camera view FOV etc that apply to all trains needs changing,

We already have trains that have controls that other's don't, so for things like the field weakening / shunt lever in the EU07 we have 2 keys set to that, then the cruise control + and - buttons in the Elf take up another 2 keys making 4 keys taken up for 2 different controls, but those 4 keys are never used at once in a train,

So a way to bind the same key to multiple inputs that are only active in their relevant trains is something i think we need... as well as the ability to use modifier keys to expand on the number of key binds available... 50 or so keys can be used on a typical keyboard, but add in 'Shift' 'Control' and 'Alt keys you triple the number of keys that can be used... add in that left and right shift, controls and alt are possible, that gives you 6 times the number of possible keys to bind controls to.

It's the same with a global in cab FOV, i changed that for a nicer view of the cab in the EU07,  but when i drove the Elf, the view was too wide and if i put the power/brake lever into the 'apply full brakes' notch, i couldnt grab it again with the mouse as it was now out of view until i moved the view down.

So we deffo need to move away from the global settings for cameras and key bindings, and to a set per train, as when other people start making trains from other countries we will rapidly end up with a 200+ line long list of key binds to set,

I'm not sure how joystick control will help this, hopefully we will be able to set joystick buttons to any of the controls in a train (and hopefully be able to read the control position like is done in railworks / tsc.  allowing us to positively move a lever to a set position, and not just send the 'move 3 notches' command and hope the in sim lever moves in sync.

• I agree 1

I think I saw on the PL forum that SimRail only saw it necessary to have key binds for the most frequently used items when they were asked to add keybinds for more items. But I fully agree to a more open and flexible system. I hope SimRail will reiterate the current input system and look at more flexible solutions to future proof the simulator.

Also, axis input mapping is much needed for people who want to use hardware levers and such, would love to have that available.