Need more time table and save function for singleplayer

I am getting the sense there will be no save game. I pinged one of the devs in the thread I started about singleplayer and they have not responded.

Poised to refund the game at this point, even if the answer is "no" or "coming soon", I could have respect if they actually answered.

Just wondering if anyone has asked the question in the Polish or German section and got an answer in the dev's native language?

• I agree 2

2 hours ago, BigVern said:

I am getting the sense there will be no save game. I pinged one of the devs in the thread I started about singleplayer and they have not responded.

Poised to refund the game at this point, even if the answer is "no" or "coming soon", I could have respect if they actually answered.

Just wondering if anyone has asked the question in the Polish or German section and got an answer in the dev's native language?

Only the same question:

• Thanks 1

no pause in MP,  as you'd need to pause the other 30+ people on the server at the same time.

you can however let the bot take over driving your train in MP whilst you go do other things,
not sure how long it will keep you logged in to the server like that tho, as a griefer / troll and their mates could do that and just leave them all in AI driving keeping other people from being able to drive the trains on the server.

• I agree 1

• SIMRAIL Team

Improvements to single player scenarios are planned. Unfortunately I cannot give any promises about adding savegames - could adding more variants split into shorter legs be sufficient solution for you?

As for scenario editor, this is all planned but likely after Early Access phase.

• Like 2
  • I agree 1

13 hours ago, milek said:

Improvements to single player scenarios are planned. Unfortunately I cannot give any promises about adding savegames - could adding more variants split into shorter legs be sufficient solution for you?

As for scenario editor, this is all planned but likely after Early Access phase.

This seems to be a different message to what was being posted a couple of days ago, that a save game was definitely being looked at. This is such a fundamental feature of a simulation game where you may need to come off and continue later, it should have been on the roadmap as a priority at the beginning. I was going to change my initial review on Steam to a more balanced neutral one but this has now cast further doubt over the whole thing. Well you've got my money now as I've played over two hours now so guess we just have to cross our fingers and hope good sense will prevail.

• I agree 1

Wait Wait, is this just because this option is not currently in early access? That's a little more than silly, don't you think?

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I really don't understand why some here give the game so much hate just because of the missing save and resume feature...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It goes deeper than that. There was zero response from the developers throughout the play test to the question to the point where they seemed to be deliberately evading the issue of the save game. Then the early access comes out with 4 hour runs that have no means of saving. Developers responded that they are looking to introduce a save game but then this morning renege on that leaving the whole thing in considerable doubt.

Look, SimRail has its good points but it is little short of neglect not to have considered at an early stage that a save game would be essential and how that could be coded in. The DTG sims manage it (temporary hiccup with TSW3 aside), Derail Valley has it, Run 8 has it, MSTS/Open Rails even Trainz. The truck sims, Snowrunner, The Bus all allow you to save and resume, even if you have to restart from a stand. This is not some freeware or shareware game, they are charging £30 at the full retail price and early access should not be used to excuse what is, in some aspects, looking more like alpha software. Viewing through rose tinted spectacles and adopting a Stockholm Syndrome approach is not going to get the improvements that are needed.

• I agree 1

Save game is essential in any type of sim, because by the nature of simulators. They involve continuous play, as in the player usually wants to pick up where they left off the day or week before.

SimRail has it's good points as Vern said above. But with a track mileage of 500km, it was ludicrous not to include a save from day one.

Too much of the fanboy attitude breaking out on this forum. The game was delivered in EA with an MP and SP game mode. The SP mode should have always had a save capability. This game was originally called SimRail 2021, so probably due for release in 2020.

So the developers have had more than enough time, to add the function to SP.

58 minutes ago, Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:

Too much of the fanboy attitude breaking out on this forum.

Quite right Mike. There is much to like about SimRail, but dismissing or shouting down what others feel is valid and constructive criticism is unacceptable.

We are not all nerds who have 3 or 4 hours at a time to spend on the PC, maybe I will get an hour if I'm lucky.

• I agree 1

Considering this was only addressed very recently (and please don't put me in the fan boy club becasue I'm not really playing this right now) could they possibly have an issue of saving that is causing them issues?

I know these things sound simple, and doable.  But for whatever reason there is an issue adding it in?  Also anyone buying games on promises, hopes, or a roadmap that's your issue.  I bought this on trying out a new desk and seeing what they would bring for the future.  If they bring nothing then I know what I paid for.  Not to mention all the time we tested this for free, and enjoyed it (at least I did).

Thanks

Sean

So calling people fanboys and nerds is OK.  Calling people winers and shouting (I can't shout on forums and I don't recall using that term) is BAD.  That to me is illogical.  I'm trying to apply logic to this situation.  You pay for what is in the current package not future updates and the hopes.  It's called an investement and some investments are better than others.  If you already got what you wanted out of that investment then is should be no risk.  If you haven't the risk is on you, not the so called fanboys who actually enjoy the sim.

I enjoy the sim, but have got bored of it personally.  We will wait and see what the future holds.  I already got my money's worth (though it was a tough decision to make).  I made my bed now I'm lying in it.

Thanks

Sean

Edited by SurvivorSean
logic
  • I agree 1

23 minutes ago, SurvivorSean said:

So calling people fanboys and nerds is OK. 

When they act like it, yes. Everyone playing the game has different circumstances and that should be taken into account.

I have no idea what the technicalities of introducing a save game involves but it's certainly possible in Unity - Derail Valley has it as does The Bus and indeed SailWind. The first two admittedly require you to restart from a stand, as indeed does Run 8 but I would accept that as a compromise if it meant we could get a save game in there. 

• SIMRAIL Team

I'm not aware of any previous concrete statements by us about the savegame feature, but I'm sorry for any miscommunication if this indeed happened. We want everybody to have the ability to enjoy the whole map regardless of how much time they have available. I will investigate how to implement workable solution to this problem. Most likely it will be implemented as checkpoint system that allows you to continue the scenario from the station you finished on the previous run.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • I agree 1

Thanks for the response, Milek.

Edit: Might another possibility be a station or location list like OpenBVE or Zusi, which also do not have a save game, but you can call up the schedule and skip forward to an intermediate point where you can take over the run?

Edited by BigVern