Why i must play tutorial :(?

Beside there are players they want not driving trains and they buy the Game because of signal box function and this peoples learn in 50mins how long need when i drive with the train with 30 KM/h. I like simrail more because of signal box as driving with trains. Driving with trains can i better in Zusi 3 as here (and make me more fun)

Edited by Luki Buzz

Prior to having tutorials trains got stuck because people did not know how to drive them, so for drivers I think it is definitely a must. The 30 minute tutorial is doable although I can see why you would want to go straight to dispatching.

• I agree 4

2 hours ago, Luki Buzz said:

Beside there are players they want not driving trains and they buy the Game because of signal box function and this peoples learn in 50mins how long need when i drive with the train with 30 KM/h. I like simrail more because of signal box as driving with trains. Driving with trains can i better in Zusi 3 as here (and make me more fun)

You can jump straight into signalboxes, you just need to complete one tutorial, complete one and forget about driving...

• I agree 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb Kaito Kid:

You can jump straight into signalboxes, you just need to complete one tutorial, complete one and forget about driving...

thats not so simple you need to drive 6 hours first before you can enter a signalbox ^^

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Fightdrug said:

thats not so simple you need to drive 6 hours first before you can enter a signalbox ^^

Erhm no. 30min tutorial on the EMU and then straight into multiplayer. I normally dispatch and if I drive something, I'm very familiar with the EMU now.

• I agree 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb Fightdrug:

Not completely true, but not wrong either. Some Signal boxes require you to do so, but most of them don't. Sadly these are usually the ones already occupied by other players.

Had the same thoughts as you yesterday, but I was proven wrong.

• Thanks 1

vor 26 Minuten schrieb Kusoba:

Not completely true, but not wrong either. Some Signal boxes require you to do so, but most of them don't. Sadly these are usually the ones already occupied by other players.

Had the same thoughts as you yesterday, but I was proven wrong.

ahh okay 😮 well was just seeing zakowice at the list was thinking for all the same xD

Everyone wants Zakowice.  It's the new SG 🙂

I'd like to see more trains and random events as well.  I know I was getting bored.  Here is the thing I've noticed.  if you like randomness go on to the busier servers and you'll start to see a bit but then you likely won't have access to the big boards or have to fight for a chance to get in.  If you go to the ones not as busy you'll wind up getting your choice, but nobody else is on so it's not as random 🙂

Hopefully once the AI bugs are ironed out (I assume that is why the schedule is not more realistic right now such as rush hours, etc.) then things will get a bit more interesting.

Thanks

Sean

Some of us may have already driven 3000+km's in the playtest, but there are a lot of people who are totally new to SimRail.

So i guess without a way to port your experience / kilometers driven over, we all have to start out as a newbie again.

Having to complete one tutorial is a good thing i think, for those of us from the playtest we can fly through the tutorial as we already know what to do before we are told (tho having every crossing signal showing Osp1 (2 horizontal yellow lights) telling you it was unsecured, so you have to do 20 km/h over it was someting new, this happened when i did my tutorial in the Elf)

Personally i'd make it so that you need to complete a tutorial on every train type you wish to drive before you get to drive it in MP... kinda like having a day with a traction instructor on real life railways.

it's ok to go bumbling about on single player, mashing buttons, triggering the emergency brakes and then locking the controls out until you figure out the reset procedure etc, your train blocking the main line for 20+ minutes does no harm to the other virtual drivers in single player,

But do that in multiplayer and you are going to annoy the other drivers of trains stuck behind you who are real people, real people who are now going to be late for the rest of their run, which has the knock on effect of throwing all other services that are timed around these trains out, 
Some of those people only have maybe an hour an evening to dedicate to pretending to be a train driver,   if you are one of those you're not going to be happy at losing half that time stuck behind someone who's just bought SimRail and loaded straight into driving a train in MP and hasn't got a clue what to do.

:

:

There are some 'reviews' on steam from the playtest, saying:
The trains are far too hard to control...... they pressed a random key and suddenly the train stopped and wouldn't move again...... in their country trains are much easier to drive..... after 50 minutes of mashing the keyboard and getting nowhere they rage quit and logged straight into steam to write the above shitty review, thinking they are helping others by telling everyone to keep away from SimRail.
Their user stats show they managed a whole hour in SimRail playtest before giving up on it for good.... yet nothing is mentioned about that hour being in MP, and they were the reason one of the servers was blocked up for 50 minutes due to a player train that seemingly "refused to move" after stopping between stations.

• Thanks 1
  • I agree 6

On 1/13/2023 at 9:59 PM, Kusoba said:

Simple reason is to get to learn the trains and their controls before joining other players.

The different trains have their specialities you may want to know

That may be so, but then we must point out:

- for a tutorial,it is too long ( 50minute,come one...)

- Not every train has a tutorial. I still have to find a tutorial for the pendolino...

- Not every aspect is covered in the tutorial. I would really like to know how to correctly operate the radio...  and changing the channel. There should be soe documentation for it, for it is sure that PKP has regulatory documents for it too, indicating the channels for each region...

- Actually I do not have an imediate understanding, has far as simulators are concerned, of why do you have to know how to drive a train to access MP has a dispatcher... if accessing MP as d driver would be unlocked after the tutorials... then I could understand it perfectly.

• I agree 1

The Tutorial requirement is definitely a very needed part. During the playtest there were constantly drivers who knew nothing about driving a train in the simulator (no shadow falls on them as there was no tutorial) and we dispatchers constantly had to teach drivers how to get going and drive the train and figure out problems, I didn't mind this but during high traffic this will cause massive problems on the servers. It's a good thing many of us dispatchers knew how to drive so we could help new drivers.

Yes, basic mandatory diving tutorial is a great addition in my opinion, it certainly is not 'dumb' in my opinion. 

As for the dispatchers, you benefit from knowing how a train works, function and moves. I don't doubt that dispatchers in real life would benefit from getting a ride along in a train before dispatching, and the opposite, drivers would benefit from tagging along a dispatcher before driving, there would be a lot more understanding if that was the case.

I admit that I was also a bit "annoyed" about having to do a tutorial before going in to play, but seeing how it has positively benefitted multiplayer I'm all for it even if I have to redo it when the sim goes out of early access.

• I agree 5

On 1/14/2023 at 12:41 PM, Fightdrug said:

You do not need to drive for 6 hours to enter signal boxes. I joined into a signalbox the first thing I did on multiplayer after doing the mandatory 30 min tutorial.

4 hours ago, Aldarion said:

That may be so, but then we must point out:

- for a tutorial,it is too long ( 50minute,come one...)

- Not every train has a tutorial. I still have to find a tutorial for the pendolino...

- Not every aspect is covered in the tutorial. I would really like to know how to correctly operate the radio...  and changing the channel. There should be soe documentation for it, for it is sure that PKP has regulatory documents for it too, indicating the channels for each region...

- Actually I do not have an imediate understanding, has far as simulators are concerned, of why do you have to know how to drive a train to access MP has a dispatcher... if accessing MP as d driver would be unlocked after the tutorials... then I could understand it perfectly.

Shortest tutorial is about 30 min.

• I agree 1

30+ minutes for a single tutorial can seem like a lot in one sitting, especially for a beginner or for someone new to train sims. I think splitting the tutorial into shorter parts would make them more inviting to complete, like 10-20 min tops. For example there could be a locomotive introduction, then maybe a short drive somewhere to get a feel for it, and then maybe a couple more with challenging situations, just to finish it off.

It would certainly give us more content to complete/achieve, and perhaps be more tempting to revisit later for a refresher or whatever.

• Like 1

30 minutes whizzes by when you are being told 'now move the lever highlighted,  then press this switch'

the thing is, the tutorials are not just about how to get the train moving and stopping, it's teaching you how to read some of the signals and signs, approaching stations, opening and closing the doors, pressing the radio ZEW3 button to get the AI dispatcher to change the signal for you etc etc.

All stuff you will need to know when you go into MP and take on a 3+ hour service.

• I agree 2

There are multiple reasons why there is a requirement of a tutorial to get to multiplayer:

1. Keeps trolls away a bit (because if dedicated players can't be bothered to put that minimum of 30 minutes effort, what will a troll say)
2. Ensures that player knows how to drive at least one loco that can be driven in MP. (important especially for new players that are just beginning their journey)

3. Same goes to lock on some dispatch boxes, it is to ensure that player has some knowledge and experience prior to jumping to more complicated signal box. 

In my opinion requirements should be much higher for some trains and signal boxes, but we'll see what developers will do in the future.

• I agree 5