Passenger comfort

TSW brought it up in one DLC, but as is their wont.. they dropped it. When you're on a train full of passengers, it doesn't matter if you apply the emergency brake. I would welcome some sort of point penalty for aggressive braking. I'd like a HUD indicator, too. Would you also welcome this change or make it differently?

Personally i want to get as far away from the tsw style arcade game scoring as possible,

if the dispatcher changes the signal to red 600 meters infront of me, that brake lever is going straight to emergency brake position and staying there until i stop, i'm not going to think 'damn, i don't want to lose points so i'll risk a SPAD by braking gently' 🙂

• Like 3
  • I agree 2

Sometimes you just can't shine and there is no other option. Why an arcade? It's an appreciation of how well you rode. Yes, I was 60min late yesterday in MP because of the dispatcher, but that happens. In one station Zawiercie GT there is a mistake and I lose 1000 points and that's not fair either. The game already has a point system and you don't have to follow it if you don't want to. At least a HUD indicator would be welcome.

Maybe then a graph showing how you drove the train but then again, if you keep applying brake in full force/releasing/full force... It will end in a bad experience for passengers, so I don't really see the need of a passenger confort indicator.

2 hours ago, Kaito Kid said:

Maybe then a graph showing how you drove the train but then again, if you keep applying brake in full force/releasing/full force... It will end in a bad experience for passengers, so I don't really see the need of a passenger confort indicator.

Just so you don't ride the passenger train like a pig. 😄 People in paint should be driven smoothly and sharp driving should be penalized. It's a simulator and it should be a sentence reality.

In TSW I am / ... / I was a big fan of scoring to play with a purpose other than just-drive the train experience itself alone. Now I find myself much happier without thinking about achieving something. SimRail is an excellent train experience for many reasons. In my opinion, the minimalistic HUD and close-to-non-existing scoring system are the reasons too. BR 🙂

• Like 2

The game does have a scoring system and point's you for pretty much everything. 1. HUD goes off 2. If you turn off the HUD you don't even see the points. 3. It's not primarily about points, it's about not driving like a dumbass with passengers like in TSW ... full brake and it doesn't matter. You don't go with the Pendolino and give full brake at every station. Example: my friends and I ride the same scenario and try to get the best ride, time and score. Especially with passenger trains, it's a great challenge when you still have to think about the comfort of the passengers. What's arcadey about this? Considering the passengers is just another element to the simulation.

7 minutes ago, robert357 said:

Well, in singleplayer it would be nice to have option to turn off score. Everyone like to goofing around from time to time, especially in singleplayer games.

I agree, I'd like to have the option to go scenario on skore or no score.

maybe a different kind of 'scoring' perhaps?

In omsi you had your drivers record card, which would be affected by such things as speeding, harsh cornering and braking, having the bus too cold or too hot, running late.. or worse departing stops too early (potentially leaving people behind who were on time)... and of course not stopping after an accident and calling the police (which made you very late afterwards) or running someone over at more than 5km/h.

I'm hoping that the SDK for SimRail when it's released will include a way to access the trains data, so someone could write a separate add on competitive scoring system to allow people who want to compete with friends to do so, with all sorts of data points being measured to make the scores as detailed or as simple as you'd need/want.

I mostly like driving passenger services, and i like to read about things relating to the realistic running of the trains so i can use them myself in the sim....

So i pick up things like that for passenger comfort you shouldn't apply the brakes so as to lower the train pipe gauge below 3.8 Bar... i may have that wrong and it's 4.2 Bar, and 3.8 is considered a harsh stop for the passengers behind you.
(i'm used to Bar, i know Kpa and Mpa are just finer graduations of Bar, so just add 2 or 3 zeros to the end)

As the train slows you need to release the brake pressure a little, and as you come to a stop the brake lever can be put to the off position just before the final stop,

This is to allow a gentle stop as the brakes are still on along the train, but beginning to release at the point where you'd get a lurch if you kept the brake handle in the same position for all of the braking (obviously apply brakes again once stopped... a lot of old train cab driving videos i see the loco brake is used to hold the train in the station if it's on level track, the train brake having been fully released just before the train came to a standstill)

I've always done a similar thing when driving a truck or a car, i used to drive recovery trucks so had passengers onboard a lot, and never had a complaint about rough or bad driving,
I'd read a book on how to drive as a chauffeur when i was a kid, and remembered stuff from it like: 
As you slow down to stop at a junction or traffic lights,  Just before the actual final stop, release the brake pedal then apply it again gently to hold the vehicle still,
This will result in a nice gentle stop that most passengers will not notice, as opposed to that kind where you are thrown forwards against the seat belt then are pushed back into the seat by the inertia of a harsh stop.

When changing lanes, time your maneuver so the vehicles wheels cross between the cats eyes, avoiding the bumps of going over them.
If the passenger moans they are late and demands you 'step on it'  keep to the speed limit but drive roughly... slightly harder cornering and braking harsher than usual makes them think you are helping by speeding, but you are not risking your license... as lose that and you lose your job.

• Thanks 1

Now I was thinking that in the player's profile you could write reputation (In MP you press TAB and click on a specific player).  In addition to building things, there would be a scale from red(aggressive) to green(prescriptive) .This would include overall driving. Negative influences would have more emphasis to make the person try harder to improve. Obviously points are needed to give it something to build that reputation from. If someone didn't want this system, they could just turn it off like they do with the seizure system. And for that braking 3,8 bar yes, but the modern multipleunite brakes with an electric motor like the EN76 (my guess, I'm a layman excuse me). I guess a G indicator is appropriate here.

Edited by lDestinyl