Suggestions in Dispatcher/Multiplayer

betjal

Greetings,

I am testing this game now for around 10 hours by now (Dispatcher only). The following suggestions I want to make:

• More traffic. The time between trains are extremely long so I must do something useless to keep the system busy not to be kicked because of inactivity
  • "Natural" delays of cargo trains because of low temperature would cause smaller control centers to overtake cargo trains by passenger trains
  • Lesser AI control centers. As it seems they cause traffic jams (railway jams?)
  • Generate trains or allow the dispatcher to generate freight cars to be collected by an engine

Greetings,
Betjal

Traffic volume depends on where you are. Łazy Łc and Sosnowiec Główny, for instance, rarely get boring. Otherwise … the inactivity check is currently a bit strict, yes, but they’re working on that.

Not sure what you mean with suggesting ‘natural’ delays. Trains already tend to get delayed quite a bit in normal operation. I also have in dispatcher mode already taken cargo trains or light engines into a loop to let passenger trains pass. It’s a thing that already happens!

Also, it seems they’re working on making the Zawiercie signal box playable, though probably requiring a higher player level, since it’s a bit more complex than the rest.

What do you mean, you want to ‘generate’ trains? Trains run according to a predetermined timetable. If there’s freight cars to be collected on short notice, then where do you get the engine from? Who drives it? And when the freight cars are collected, where do they go and when? Some of these question may be moot in a simulation/game, of course. But it doesn’t change the fact that planning train movements and creating timetables is not the responsibility of dispatchers/signallers. Their job is to accept the timetable as it is and put it into practice as safely, precisely, and economically as possible.

• I agree 1

If I recall the schedule is deliberately light right now until full version.

Places like Bedzin and Lazy lc are fairly straight line runs with little to no deviation.

What is interesting is the AI tends to use the other tracks if necessary at least in jams.  When trains are behind schedule and are cargo technically their schedule should no longer apply especially for suggested meets.  Otherwise you might be throwing a freight out in front of a hot passenger.  This is why I wondered about a dispatcher who oversees the territory making that call.  Right now it's up to the signal boxes to make that judgement.

With tons of dispatcher experience the boxes are not as active as I expected, but perhaps that is prototypical.  I believe the schedule in place now is for testing only and you'll see quite a bit of variance on release this according to the team.

Thanks

Sean

38 minutes ago, SurvivorSean said:

Places like Bedzin and Lazy lc are fairly straight line runs with little to no deviation.

What is interesting is the AI tends to use the other tracks if necessary at least in jams.  When trains are behind schedule and are cargo technically their schedule should no longer apply especially for suggested meets.  Otherwise you might be throwing a freight out in front of a hot passenger.  This is why I wondered about a dispatcher who oversees the territory making that call.  Right now it's up to the signal boxes to make that judgement.

With tons of dispatcher experience the boxes are not as active as I expected, but perhaps that is prototypical.  I believe the schedule in place now is for testing only and you'll see quite a bit of variance on release this according to the team.

Thanks

Sean

Does anyone know if the AI dispatcher has a priority system? I've noticed cargo constantly being shoved out in front of me (a delayed passenger service) that's had no choice but to wait at a red for 15-30+ minutes.

• Like 1
  • I agree 1

3 hours ago, Schyrsivochter said:

What do you mean, you want to ‘generate’ trains? Trains run according to a predetermined timetable. If there’s freight cars to be collected on short notice, then where do you get the engine from? Who drives it? And when the freight cars are collected, where do they go and when?

I'm glad you answered this one before i did Schyrsivochter, as my reply would have been 20 times as long,  but still trying to say the same thing 🙂

that this is a simulator not a game 🤬
and things happen as in real life, thats one of the  things that makes SimRail stand out over other train driving games.

if people want to dispatch made up traffic, or drive a train without caring about using the correct controls and procedures, there are loads of other games out there that do just that. 🤠

Edited by Gazz292
spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SurvivorSean said:

Thanks

Sean

What do you mean.. you are dispatcher you are responsible for making that call. If cargo will run off that passenger train or not. YOU ARE THE BOSS of your station so act like it. You dont need nobody to tell you anything. And if you are not capable of keeping traffic flow with this light timetable then i dont want to imagine what would you do when full game releases.. And i dont get why everyone thinks cargo should be always last. Cargo dont need to stop everywhere so they easily run off an passenger train and even fast trains. 

• I disagree 2

Regarding delays, I don't know exactly how it works in PL but in other places there are "higher level dispatchers" (for lack of a better term) that oversee a larger section of line and decide if a slower train has to be stopped in a place instead of another in order to let the other, faster, late train pass etc., in coordination with local dispatchers. Otherwise, it would at least be up to those to coordinate with each other and decide what to do, they don't operate into a vacuum usually.

A totally different can of worms are CTC (or IECC, or however they're called where who is reading lives) controlled areas where one person doesn't control one station, but a whole territory and more or less decides for himself what to do.

Deciding how to sequence trains is not a straightforward matter, you'd have to take into account the speeds (max permissible by the train, the line, the chosen paths inside a station etc.), distances involved, max. spacing allowed by infrastructure etc.; schedule composition (i.e. number/density of stops) matters a lot and they often contain some leeway to absorb delays.

And don't forget that you'd also have to consider whether or not you have the physical space to hold a train... Stations have sometimes a limited number of tracks and you know, 600m trains don't fit anywhere 🙃

18 hours ago, betjal said:
  • Generate trains or allow the dispatcher to generate freight cars to be collected by an engine

OP has a point actually, being able to have a way to generate some local working where you shunt your wagons with the help of the dispatcher, pick them up and depart, would be very cool. But I'm not sure how easy it is to implement and if it's planned anyway. Run8, which is fully dynamic, does this, but it's also related to a totally different way of railroading.  I think that TD2 may also allow to do something similar it but I don't know if and how

• I agree 2

The dispatcher is the boss within the limits of their own post, certainly. But SurvivorSean is right; they have a timetable to follow and decisions from the higher-level ‘dispatchers’ or controllers (there’s potential for confusion with the wording here; in fairness, different railways do it differently and have different terms for the different jobs) to obey.

Also, I’m not sure who told you that freight trains ‘easily run off’ passenger trains? Yeah, they don’t need to stop as frequently, but compared to passenger trains a) their top speed is generally lower; b) their acceleration is generally way worse; c) their schedules are laxer and their punctuality less important. The only kinds of passenger trains that freight trains can reliably outpace are local trains that stop at absolutely every station every couple of kilometres.

5 minutes ago, Schyrsivochter said:

Also, I’m not sure who told you that freight trains ‘easily run off’ passenger trains? Yeah, they don’t need to stop as frequently, but compared to passenger trains a) their top speed is generally lower; b) their acceleration is generally way worse; c) their schedules are laxer and their punctuality less important. The only kinds of passenger trains that freight trains can reliably outpace are local trains that stop at absolutely every station every couple of kilometres.

"Easily" might be more of an overstatement, it's kinda situational but you can trust it happens... and more often than people think 🙂

True, if I was a dispatcher, I would probably send a commuter train or a regional train behind a freight train (depending on the line an how close the stations are). If the distance is quite long between stations, then regional 1st, freight second and commuter third.

54 minutes ago, Schyrsivochter said:

Ofc i wont send Frieght in front of passenger train between Gora and Psary.. but definitely between Dabrowa and Zawodzie they can overrun them.. thats why dispatcher have to done by a person who can think ahead and communicate with drivers, know his timetable etc.. not just set a route.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Záhorácká said:

What do you mean.. you are dispatcher you are responsible for making that call. If cargo will run off that passenger train or not. YOU ARE THE BOSS of your station so act like it. You dont need nobody to tell you anything. And if you are not capable of keeping traffic flow with this light timetable then i dont want to imagine what would you do when full game releases.. And i dont get why everyone thinks cargo should be always last. Cargo dont need to stop everywhere so they easily run off an passenger train and even fast trains. 

I've been dispatching for years on more than a signal box so I think I know how to dispatch, so please don't tell me how I should act.  What I'm refering to is the schedule at SG that specifically has cargo trains holding for 17 minutes.  As for anything else I'll gladly make that call.

Outside my box is a different story and that involves co-ordinating with another box.  The AI will grant just about anything and to respond to another post it will not deal with priority and simply continue to run cargo early regardless of the scheduled 17 minute stop.

As for what I can handle most stations as I said are very simple with little or no requirements to hold anything.  When trains are behind that is when it becomes a judgement call, one that I'm perfectly capable of handling.  Including in a much tougher box which I welcome the opportunity.

Thanks

Sean

3 hours ago, Záhorácká said:

Ofc i wont send Frieght in front of passenger train between Gora and Psary.. but definitely between Dabrowa and Zawodzie they can overrun them.. thats why dispatcher have to done by a person who can think ahead and communicate with drivers, know his timetable etc.. not just set a route.

1) So how do you communicate with a driver that is a bot?  Answer you can't

2) So how do you communicate with an AI station next to you to co-ordinate.  Answer you are very limited.  The only thing you can do is give permission or ask for permission.  

So while your high and mighty new guy about how great of a dispatcher you are, and how well you know the schedule, you better learn the limits of the sim and quit being so arogant.

Thanks

Sean

• I disagree 1

😄 Jesus christ.. im arrogant? If its bot he will go as fast as he can thats for sure.
If its AI dispatch 99% time he will accept the freight train cuz AI just dont care about priorities.

Im not high and mighty new guy. Im high and mighty guy ;).. Limits of the sim is only as big as you make them. 

And im not arrogant.. Im rational. 

46 minutes ago, SurvivorSean said:

1) So how do you communicate with a driver that is a bot?  Answer you can't

2) So how do you communicate with an AI station next to you to co-ordinate.  Answer you are very limited.  The only thing you can do is give permission or ask for permission.  

So while your high and mighty new guy about how great of a dispatcher you are, and how well you know the schedule, you better learn the limits of the sim and quit being so arogant.

Thanks

Sean

Maybe, when im reading it back i might come up as arrogant. But deffo didnt meant it 🙂 So my apologies for any offense i made. But i stand by my opinion that Cargo>Passenger but yeah i should have said it less passive aggressive. And doesnt matter if its bot. It probably even better.

• Like 1