Please rework the train selection menu

Blacky

Hello everyone,

when you're a driver and want to select the train you want to drive, you get the information about departure time, drive time and the train number. Unfortunatly, you get no information about where a train is (currently in the server) and where it's going, e. g from Opoczno to Katowice or back. Also I've experienced that the departure time is very much off because of delay, so that's pretty unuseable then. I once managed to actually select one train going all the way from Katowice to Opoczno, but once I've arrived there, due to my lack of knowledge in regards of the timetable of the route, I couldn't find a train that goes back as I wanted it to do. That's making the search for a train unnecessary difficult. Same with the stopper trains (these modern EMUs), as there's no information about the current location of these trains, you either spawn somewhere in the middle of a drive, or near to the train's destination. Rather, I'd rather drive that train "from the start" to "the finish", just as far as the current route available in the game would allow me to do. I've seen a map of all the trains running somewhere in this forum, where can I find that?

Otherwise, I'm really looking forward to the future of this sim. Thank you for reading.

• I agree 4

https://panel.simrail.eu/main/map.html

Remember the servers are running already when you are on the selection screen, so it depends on the time you are selecting a train to where it is on the route... and it can be running early or late etc.

So if you want to drive from the start to finish of the the route... first you need to wait for the full simulator to be released, as we only have about 140 kms of the full 500Km of tracks available in these tests.

then you need to be on the server at the time the train actually starts, the servers auto reset atm, i'm not sure if we are still on 3 hour resets or 6 hour resets, it was every 3 hours starting from midnight they reset... LOCAL CENTRAL EUROPEAN TIME, so i'm in the Uk so the servers reset starting from 01:00, 

that also means you can be driving a train and get booted as the servers restart... this is a playtest after all.

• Thanks 1

Zitat

Remember the servers are running already when you are on the selection screen, so it depends on the time you are selecting a train to where it is on the route...

That's clear to me. Still they could add an indicator from what to what station/waypoint a train is going on the server right now and show it on the map next to the selection screen.

Zitat

So if you want to drive from the start to finish of the the route... first you need to wait for the full simulator to be released, as we only have about 140 kms of the full 500Km of tracks available in these tests.

Have you read what I wrote?

Zitat

Rather, I'd rather drive that train "from the start" to "the finish", just as far as the current route available in the game would allow me to do.

• I agree 4

I think all you can do to get a long run at the moment is chose a train with the longest 'Duration' left in the menu:

image.thumb.png.6c30164b9524146ac979fd10a069e6cb.png

i've seen some with over 2 hours showing as the time you'll get to drive the train for (i got kicked off it well before the end of that time when the servers reset) but i think i have only once spawned into a train that was stopped at a station, every other time i'm taking over a moving train. 

I've logged into a server just after it had reset a few times, chose a long duration left train, and still was put in a moving train, so i'm not sure there are any trains to chose yet that we start at the 'first' station,  and none that we take over as a dead train that needs setting up, as far as i know. 

The servers seem to be on 6 hour resets now, they show on that map app when they are resetting by the server names going red, the PL ones start off resetting first, then each one after that, so it can be nearing18:15 before the last server is reset (if the reset started at 18:00 CET)
So thats the best time to grab a train that you can drive for a long time,

Sorry it's not the answer you are looking for, and that i use too many words to describe things.
I too would like to walk to a train in the depot, set it up / prepare it, go and couple up to my coaches, then drive to the first station and do the whole run, maybe even taking the coaches to the sidings and parking the train up and shutting it down and securing it.
But i hope that's something to look forwards to in the full release.

• I agree 1

I've really missed a section from quite the time now in the train selected that actually tells me from where to where is it going, in which direction, cause the trains that I've selected passed all of them Lazy stn. 😂 I prefer busier sections with more traffic rather than just driving with no one to encounter, for example, my favourite section is from Katowice to Zawircie as it's a really busy section.

Wouldn't it be possible to add to the dynamic map where these trains are in real time?

• I agree 1

Just to tell us where the train started and where it's final destination is would be a start. The same info as you get in the F1 HUD timetable. 

If it helps you pick a train: those ending in an odd number are heading roughly towards Katowice. (even if they turn off map at DGz). Even numbers are going northbound. Generally speaking.

As an example if you get  41011 with 40 mins left  you can guess it's currently around Lazy going to Katowice. Odd number = going south, 40 mins approx travel time between Lazy and Katowice. 

Edited by Bescot
Spelling
  • I agree 2

i'm trying to learn to read the train numbers too,

i may be wrong, but for EC passenger trains, i'm thinking if they start with 14 they are heading north, if 41 they are heading south,

People on discord who are helping others with running the signal boxes have worked out how the route the trains from their numbers, something about a 41 goes one direction at Łazy, a 42 number goes the other direction etc.
But they see a lot more info and need to act on it that those of us driving the trains (tho we should know the routes and be ready to challenge being sent down the wrong track)

The first two digits of Polish train numbers encode the areas of origin and destination, respectively. 4 is for the Katowice area, 1 stands for Warszawa. So a train starting with 41 runs south to north, a train starting with 14 runs north to south. A train starting with 40 or 44 starts and ends within the same region – the ‘S41’ and ‘S1’ regional trains, for instance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...