New Loco tutorial observations...

giBBer8

The E186 coal train scenario was well done with a few interesting twists.

Apart from the loco being behind (and not in front of) the player, I got going on the loco easily.

I got stuck at R2 signal, realising after 10 minutes that I had to press the signaller radio again to continue, knowledge useful further along too.

Overall, a fun and enjoyable mission.

• I agree 2

It seems to me that this update was created under massive time pressure. It's as if the homework had been copied from a classmate before the lesson...

2 of 3 tutorials are from the freely available Prologue.

In the tutorial for the EU07 there are no other trains, no information about the locomotive like in the tutorial here in the forum

Insufficient or no information about the use of the radio, which does not work online with the AI yet anyway?!

As soon as I switch to the outside view, the hint comes how I sat down in the locomotive... while driving. This was already a bug in the prologue.

In my opinion, these tutorials do not show anything that cannot be learned here in the forum or on YouTube.

I know it's a playtest so please spare your toxic comments in that regard. We give constructive criticism. Even if it's hard to discover anything new here and bring the development forward. And first not giving any information and then selling this as an update is a bit weak. I would like to see much more transparency from the developers. Better an honest statement than such an attempt of an update.

• I agree 2

Missing some points in the EU07 tutorial, like turning on the lights of the train, learning to turn on train heating (poor passengers), when to raise the second pantograph (Like when stopping, when stopped and at departure)  and how to deal with neutral sections, things like that, except that, it's so great to finally fully start the train !

Next step, getting the loco out of the depot and going to station to connect locomotive to the train ! 😁

Edited by Flasssssss

vor einer Stunde schrieb bny1992:

It seems to me that this update was created under massive time pressure. It's as if the homework had been copied from a classmate before the lesson...

2 of 3 tutorials are from the freely available Prologue.

In the tutorial for the EU07 there are no other trains, no information about the locomotive like in the tutorial here in the forum

Insufficient or no information about the use of the radio, which does not work online with the AI yet anyway?!

As soon as I switch to the outside view, the hint comes how I sat down in the locomotive... while driving. This was already a bug in the prologue.

In my opinion, these tutorials do not show anything that cannot be learned here in the forum or on YouTube.

I know it's a playtest so please spare your toxic comments in that regard. We give constructive criticism. Even if it's hard to discover anything new here and bring the development forward. And first not giving any information and then selling this as an update is a bit weak. I would like to see much more transparency from the developers. Better an honest statement than such an attempt of an update.

why make new tutorials when you have two good working ones at the demo 😛 i can understand why they just copy them

vor einer Stunde schrieb bny1992:

I know it's a playtest so please spare your toxic comments in that regard. We give constructive criticism. 

In my opinion the EU07 tutorial just provides us with all information necessary to drive the locomotive. Nothing more, nothing less. I would have appreciated it if all voice files were in english, some are in polish so you have to rely on subtitles, but apart from that, nothing wrong with it in my opinion. I kinda miss having a consist of some cars so I would know what it is to drive a passenger or freight train but apart from that I don't exactly see the issues.

Also what toxic comments from whom? And who is "we"? Speak for yourself, I don't see your criticism as constructive, it is more like "I get stuff for free and I expect everything to be super cool". 

I think they will definitely add more content to SinglePlayer in some days or weeks. This is just the beginning of it. 

• I agree 2

For someone who never played the prologue I'm going to enjoy this then go back to MP and apply my skills.  I know there are plenty of other sessions planned.  Perhaps another Q&A would help.  The danger here is many people's expectations are now sky high despite this not being an official release yet.  Think of how much has changed in MP since the playtest became active.  Because of those high expectations people are going to trash what as is now is a very good MP early release.  The single player needs to be developed and I'm sure it will.

Thanks

Sean

• I agree 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Krtek-JC:

Also what toxic comments from whom? And who is "we"? Speak for yourself, I don't see your criticism as constructive, it is more like "I get stuff for free and I expect everything to be super cool". 

Yes, exactly like that. I don't expect anything, the developers do expect criticism, otherwise they wouldn't do a playtest like this. And I don't see this last update as progress, but simply so that they can keep to their stupid roadmap. Now it's Christmas and very few people will get to test anything properly, even if more missions are added over the next few days.

We are also still talking about a game that was announced for 2021.

Edited by bny1992

i really hope that if SimRail is not ready for release in January, they hold off releasing it, 

please please don't do a dovetail and release on a date just to keep the people who can't wait happy,
Those kinds of people will never be happy, once they have the full version they will get bored and be looking for the next new thing to demand be released early, but the damage will be done with their bad reviews like:
'this release is years late and its rubbish, it's got too many bugs, it's too hard to drive the trains, and i have to learn what the buttons say in Polish to operate a signal box, it's not ready for release, don't buy'

Thankfully some of us can see the huge potential this simulator has, and are looking forwards to it's future.

But there have been a lot of toxic/entitled people suddenly on the Sim, more playtest slots opened up the other day, and i think a lot of them had just clicked to join because they thought it was a way to get a game for free (some have no interest in railways and it really shows)

There's already people moaning there are not enough different trains to drive and the route is boring,  it's a simulator not a game (not to mention it's a playtest) you are supposed to drive the same train over the same route again and again, but the beauty of multiplayer is no 2 drives will be the same due to real people controlling the signal boxes, and driving other trains around you, plus the random event thing built into the sim... seen with things like dead signals etc.

• I agree 2

If and I'm still not certain this is Early Access in January I think it will be ready, but will certainly understand a delay.  Especially if the playtest is open and it gets us to that point.  Not sure how playtests act in the steam library once there is a release (I would imaging the MP server access would change so nothing happens, and you just have some tutorials).

I don't mind the single player test as it is.  They should slowly add more trains in to really test the system but that is of course their call.  I know some people are not happy about the single player being so few.  I haven't tried it yet but I already have my own opinion.

Single player under the current schedule would be the same trains at different times of the day (pretty much the same hourly).  I'm not sure how single player is going to evolve but there is a demand for it as some people don't want to bother with MP.

Thanks

Sean

Adding to comments above...

At the station where you have to leave on the subsidiary signal, the HUD speed limit shows 40 km/h but on passing the signal you are hit with a 20, losing points (for those who care about such things) until you reduce speed.

These training scenarios are quite long and point to why we need some sort of save game function enabling. I had to come off the game after the stage above which means I now need to start from the beginning again.

It's also in the interests of the devs if there is a save game to get it out there for testing. We all know what a mess the save game in TSW was (still is to some extent) so give us a chance to prove it works.

I don't know how SP will be organised in the final game, whether TSC style scenarios or the full playable timetable of TSW but it is not reasonable to expect people to sit 4 or 5 hours in front of the PC to do a run in one shot.

• I agree 2

Normally I would agree.  But since there is MP and people are complaining about short runs or sitting at red lights, it seems to me there are plenty of short runs available.  Personally there are a few other things I want to see implemented and fixed ahead of this (if it wasn't in the cards).  You should put it in a suggestion just so it's out there.

Thanks

Sean

Well there are short runs but once the full game arrives I'm not going to want to spend time driving the same old stretch, or not be able to take a train across the entire route in my own time. There seems little point popping it in Suggestions, I've already asked the question several times in sight of the devs and they have not responded. Which is sadly leading me to suspect there may not be any means of saving a run in SP - as I said above will be nonsense as very few people have time to do a long run in one go, nor should you be sitting in front of a monitor without a break for that length of time.

• I agree 1

i'm looking forwards to being able to drive 500Km in this sim,

I've seen that there are random events in multi player, and that's before the randomness of your track routing and signals from the real people operating the signal boxes, and being held up by the real person driving the train in front who knows they are running early, so decide to do 60kph instead of the line speed of 125 so they arrive on time at their stop... but make me late to the place i should overtake that train.

No run has yet been the same for me.

I'm more than happy with the EU07, i can drive that forever and have been doing... over 1000Km's in it so far, and i still have tons to learn, all the signal combinations, the track side signs, where the braking points are for the stations, how differently a freight train handles compared to a passenger one... and switching the brake selector to the proper setting and using the high power switch to get upto 750 amps to the motors in series when hauling a heavy freight (then having to switch it off if you want any power in parallel)

i'm wondering if breakdowns and user induced faults may feature later on too... i.e. burn the motors resistors out by holding it in a resistor notch for too long, damage the pantograph or OLE by not shutting off power over a neutral section,
Accepting the wrong route and being sent down a dead line, not realising until you hear the pantograph go ping as it suddenly has no catenary wire to press against.

I know that it will take a hell of a lot to get me back to tsw, with their ultra short routes and condescending 'congratulations' messages popping up every time you drive the same number of km's as the train number or something as stupid as operating the wiper switch.

:

But i am one of the weirder ones, i've been waiting for a realistic train driving simulator with good graphics and sounds for over a decade, that wait seems to be finally over.

I can schedule the time to spend sitting for 4 or 5 hours at my computer to do a nice long drive, i'm kinda used to sitting infront of a monitor all day tho,

and sp fsr my eyres ayr stull wotjong juat fone 🤓

• Like 1
  • I agree 4

Godzinę temu, Gazz292 napisał(a):

i'm looking forwards to being able to drive 500Km in this sim,

I've seen that there are random events in multi player, and that's before the randomness of your track routing and signals from the real people operating the signal boxes, and being held up by the real person driving the train in front who knows they are running early, so decide to do 60kph instead of the line speed of 125 so they arrive on time at their stop... but make me late to the place i should overtake that train.

No run has yet been the same for me.

I'm more than happy with the EU07, i can drive that forever and have been doing... over 1000Km's in it so far, and i still have tons to learn, all the signal combinations, the track side signs, where the braking points are for the stations, how differently a freight train handles compared to a passenger one... and switching the brake selector to the proper setting and using the high power switch to get upto 750 amps to the motors in series when hauling a heavy freight (then having to switch it off if you want any power in parallel)

i'm wondering if breakdowns and user induced faults may feature later on too... i.e. burn the motors resistors out by holding it in a resistor notch for too long, damage the pantograph or OLE by not shutting off power over a neutral section,
Accepting the wrong route and being sent down a dead line, not realising until you hear the pantograph go ping as it suddenly has no catenary wire to press against.

I know that it will take a hell of a lot to get me back to tsw, with their ultra short routes and condescending 'congratulations' messages popping up every time you drive the same number of km's as the train number or something as stupid as operating the wiper switch.

:

But i am one of the weirder ones, i've been waiting for a realistic train driving simulator with good graphics and sounds for over a decade, that wait seems to be finally over.

I can schedule the time to spend sitting for 4 or 5 hours at my computer to do a nice long drive, i'm kinda used to sitting infront of a monitor all day tho,

Wow, you become an addict 🤣 I like it

SimRail truly had a huge potential which won't be revealed with full game release. It will take months to iron all small wrinkles it has and years (if at all) to add all this things I expect. 

Not speaking about the content because it is another piece of cake.

As being similar rail simulator freak as you, long hauler expecting to act as close to reality as possible, I think we would have MANY hours of fun in SimRail.

If I can help you anything then please ask. 

• Like 1
  • I agree 1

15 hours ago, Gazz292 said:

.. snipped 

I'm a weird one too. Gaz you have just described exactly how I feel.

Incredibly happy with what I've seen so far; the simulation, signalling, scenery, sounds and the response from the devs, who even help out when folks get stuck quite late at night too in some cases. Bring it on chaps.. bring it on.  

• Like 1

Vern does have a point about the saves and that is if there is going to be 500KM of route.  Personally I like to play MP so I don't care and can just leave when I want just like I did last night when I was getting tired and likely could have had a complete run which is the normal for me.

But if this is geared towards MP similar to Run8 for example I'm not worried about it.  Though I think it would be really cool to have a self hosted or a single player mode with nothing but AI around and you can visit certain areas or take whatever train you wanted and not worry about others.  Though so far I enjoy the MP environment.

The reason why I like this MP environment vs say Run8 which has been my go to for 10 years is that you don't have this "hey hows it going" crap when everyone enters a server and then the chat becomes a social club.  Everything is localized the way it should be.  The only disadvantage for me it the region with all do respect to Poland.  I enjoy North America and their freights and that brings a whole new operations to the game.  I'm already starting to feel a bit of burn out so I look foward to more challenging signal boxes and hope with 500KM there will be plenty of choices at some point.  Possibly dispatcher roles overseeing certain regions as well would be nice, but I'm willing to enjoy this ride as it's already exceeded my expectations.

Thanks

Sean

• I agree 1

Back on topic, the tutorials are really nice, maybe missing some items which should be fairly obvious, (sand for wheelslip, closing off power if slipping) etc. 

Overall, this sim is awesome and can only improve with time.  

Edited by giBBer8

Yeah I had to use my experience to get myself out of some issues, which may be useless to a newbie.  I even personally got stuck once and I'm not sure how I could resolve it except backing up and taking another run.  For me if you're too slow at the bridge from the coal mine you are in trouble.  That route for me thus far has been the most challenging having a fully loaded coal train with speed restrictions all over the place.

Thanks

Sean