Translate All English

stefanraduv6

Exactly,
This is a SIMULATOR for POLISH railways, 

Treat it as a simulator and not a game, pretend you have moved to Poland and got a job as a dispatcher or train driver there,  they are not going to re-label the locomotives controls or signalling equipment to a non native language just for you. 

I'm having fun learning to pronounce things in Polish, just like i am learning the Polish signalling rules and way they operate their railways.

Listen to the station announcements for how the station names sound in Polish, or use a translator that allows you to search for Polish words using an english keyboard, and reads them out to you:

https://forvo.com/languages/pl/

• Like 3
  • I disagree 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2022 at 9:02 AM, Gazz292 said:

Exactly,
This is a SIMULATOR for POLISH railways, 

Treat it as a simulator and not a game, pretend you have moved to Poland and got a job as a dispatcher or train driver there,  they are not going to re-label the locomotives controls or signalling equipment to a non native language just for you. 

I'm having fun learning to pronounce things in Polish, just like i am learning the Polish signalling rules and way they operate their railways.

Listen to the station announcements for how the station names sound in Polish, or use a translator that allows you to search for Polish words using an english keyboard, and reads them out to you:

https://forvo.com/languages/pl/

Here's the problem in that thinking, when you market a game to certain country's. You don't expect them to learn a whole other language just to play a game. The common user isn't going to do that and they will just refund the game. Which means less revenue which equals less content and support. Which means we get stuck with a money hungry competitor. 

so changing all the switch nameplates in the loco's, and languages on the in cab display screens, the signs at the stations and the map names to english is going to get more customers?

i know when i played train driving games before, if i got in an american locomotive, there was no way to change the legends of the controls and switches to ...say ... German, the station names were as they are in america, not converted to their Germanic versions of the names,

there are already 'tool tips' that pop up as you hover over a control, they are in the major languages that the user selects when installing the simulator,

• Like 1
  • I agree 2

2 hours ago, Gazz292 said:

so changing all the switch nameplates in the loco's, and languages on the in cab display screens, the signs at the stations and the map names to english is going to get more customers?

i know when i played train driving games before, if i got in an american locomotive, there was no way to change the legends of the controls and switches to ...say ... German, the station names were as they are in america, not converted to their Germanic versions of the names,

there are already 'tool tips' that pop up as you hover over a control, they are in the major languages that the user selects when installing the simulator,

I'm not saying you should change all the textures to read English or whatever language. But their should be a box when you hover over it that translates it, like DTG does. I barely remember what buttons and switches to press. On top of that i need to learn a second language to play a game? Thats just backwards...Really I'm talking about dispatcher mode. Train description screen is still in Polish and their was a couple of other things that I can't remember off the top of my head. I'm telling you, your average consumer isn't going to learn a second language to play a game and they will just refund it.

Edit: I realized their is tool tips now when you hover. That wasn't their the last time I drove a train(been playing dispatcher 99% of the time). But the pop ups are still buggy and don't come up 80% of the time.

I'm looking at long term. I want this platform to strive because I'm tired of being stuck in a monopoly. You might think its fine to have it in another language, to me I don't really care I can figure it out. But the average person buying this isn't going to want to figure it out. Do you remember that we live in a world where everyone wants everything easy and handed to them?

Edited by Ridinh1gh
  • Like 1

Ahh, i didn't realise tool tips were added recently,
When i first got into the EU07 loco, i read the instructional post on the forum, so kinda figured out what the switches were from reading that.

i do forget not everyone is like me, i read the instructions for everything i get and often search online for more info, but a lot of people refuse to read instructions, i know some prefer to watch youtube videos of others explaining how to operate things (i had a GF once who watched other people playing games on youtube, i thought she was interested in a game once and bought it for her, she went mad shouting that she is not a geek who actually plays games, she just likes watching others playing them... 😕😖)

:

I guess tho, there will be people who want SimRail to be more game like, even going as far as the 'easy mode' from railworks, where you had a tonka toy style lever on the HUD, drag it upwards with the mouse to make the train go, drag it down and the train stops.

For me half the fun is figuring out what i'm being told by the Sim in the local language, that's why i don't like that the station announcements are in english, i want to hear them in Polish as if i really were standing at that station hearing them in real life.

BUT... i have no idea about the dispatching side of SimRail, there i can see that having the displays on the screens translated would be an idea, it might even be an option in the real life systems to change the language.... like i know that in some of the modern trains, the drivers screens have a language change button in the menu's.

14 hours ago, Gazz292 said:

For me half the fun is figuring out what i'm being told by the Sim in the local language, that's why i don't like that the station announcements are in english, i want to hear them in Polish as if i really were standing at that station hearing them in real life.

I bet you are an avid scholar, of sadism buddy 🤣 😉