Server Logs & Moderators

So we are on public servers that at the moment anyone who has a copy of test can access any available position.  Despite the annoyance I agree it's good to idiot test these things now.

However that being said when it comes down to being out of the testing phase and into early access, I think server logs and moderation will be essential.  I know there has been some accusations, assumptions, etc. at certain people sabatoging the servers.  This is where logs and moderators can come into play along with a potential scoring access system to have the best quality experience on the servers.

I know personally in having Run8 servers the logs were beneficial in finding either trouble issues, and confronting them.  I think moderators need to be level minded and not quick to kick people etc. either.  Some times these are innocent issues as I've made mistakes in learning as well.  Making mistakes is sometimes the only way you learn.  But having these tools should make the MP experience better for everyone.

Thanks

Sean

• I agree 4

Agree Sean. Had my first go at Lazy earlier this evening and delayed a couple of AI services while I established how things work, including diverting a train onto an alternate line (in the correct direction) as I hadn't realised you needed to clear the block with the train departed button. Would be easy for someone to report that as a frivolous re-routing when in fact there was no ill intent.

What does need clamping down on (possibly) is cases where players are setting up races or deliberately sending trains on a collision course.  

11 minutes ago, BigVern said:

What does need clamping down on (possibly) is cases where players are setting up races or deliberately sending trains on a collision course.  

Deffo, those asshats need moving to a server kept aside just for the trouble makers, where they think they are causing mayhem to others who want to operate the railway properly, but they are really just harassing each other,

Then when they finish the session, tell them this is what they have been controlling for the past few hours:

image.thumb.png.115f5caf635ee880cd46c31c75ec39f7.png

Edited by Gazz292
  • Haha 3
  • I agree 2

What is a good solution for getting trustworthy simmers into servers? Some thoughts -

A "graduation" test, moving from small signal boxes up through the ranks, so as to be competent in the large boxes - This could involve a tutorial scenario, perhaps having a freight train run into a location, move the loco to depot, bring another onto the opposite end and depart "wrong line" to the next block. Or even a "grind" system, where you have to do a few hours in each box, working up to the largest panels.

A peer driven points system. Gain a good reputation from fellow players via an awards system...

As Sean said, weed out the asshats via moderation, using the already present reporting system.

Having said that, when the full release happens, are players going to mess around and not be invested, having had to pay for the sim? Maybe the idiots will diminish as the novelty (and free lols) wear off.

• I agree 3

10 hours ago, giBBer8 said:

What is a good solution for getting trustworthy simmers into servers? Some thoughts -

A "graduation" test, moving from small signal boxes up through the ranks, so as to be competent in the large boxes - This could involve a tutorial scenario, perhaps having a freight train run into a location, move the loco to depot, bring another onto the opposite end and depart "wrong line" to the next block. Or even a "grind" system, where you have to do a few hours in each box, working up to the largest panels.

A peer driven points system. Gain a good reputation from fellow players via an awards system...

As Sean said, weed out the asshats via moderation, using the already present reporting system.

Having said that, when the full release happens, are players going to mess around and not be invested, having had to pay for the sim? Maybe the idiots will diminish as the novelty (and free lols) wear off.

Paying for the game didn't stop the griefing in Elite Dangerous.

4 hours ago, BigVern said:

Paying for the game didn't stop the griefing in Elite Dangerous.

yeah, unfortunately a lot of serial griefers are people who have no life and disposable income (or a mummy who buys them any game they demand just so she can have a quiet life)
They generally don't have the skills to complete games the correct way, so always buy every upgrade via micro transactions so they can grief the new players immediately.

They make it a 'career' of causing misery to others, they literally have nothing better to do.

And even worse, there are groups of people on facebook and similar who band together to perform a 'Total Take Over' going after forums and games they think are lame and full of people who deserve to be bullied,
A train driving / signalling simulator falls right into their 'we are better than them, they deserve to be bullied' category,

Or the little kids who think they are making the game/sim more fun for everyone by arsing around, setting up races and sending trains on head on collisions etc.

One of the reasons I rarely ventured outside single player in ED, except when I was up at Beagle Point where only the most hardy and dedicated players ventured (a virtual 65K light years from the populated "Bubble"). I think the griefing even made mainstream news, there was some sort of special event laid on for a player who was terminally ill and the evil element made it their purpose to try and interrupt or even destroy the mission. The sad thing about ED is that David Braben and the other devs at Frontier turned a blind eye and even semi condoned the anti social activity as "emergent" gameplay.

Hopefully (to stay on topic) SimRail won't demonstrate the same mindset.