Cool things you have noticed in SimRail

Gazz292

2 hours ago, Irish Spud said:

What I find great, is when you pass a red it just resets your train and doesn't  end the  route as it does in TSW. 

Well, it should kick you out to be honest. TSW have it right in that regard. 

a few weeks ago at the beginning of the playtest, my session ended for Signal Passed At Danger (SPAD) it was changed infront of me tho.
a message was put across the screen telling me i'd passed a red light, the session ended and i was kicked to the screen you get with the graph of your driving, where you exit back to the drive selection screen.

But since then, i SPAD'd the first time i was driving a heavy freight train, my fault for not treating the brakes with respect. and it teleported the train back to before the red light, 

It sure would be annoying if you'd just done a 5 hour run in multiplayer, and someone messing about in a signal box near the end of the line puts the signal to red infront of you and you can't stop in time.
and thats it, simulation session over, kicked back to the server select screen and try again.

Of course you'd expect punishment for SPAD'ing, but you'd also expect to be able to mitigate it, like
'i was doing 120km/h, all green lights, then suddenly when signal xxxx was 50 meters away it was changed to red, no way i could have stopped in time'

As opposed to
'i was doing 40km/h and the next signal was red, but i was picking my nose and got distracted, so i applied the brakes too late to stop'

I know that in real life, SPAD'ing would get you removed from your position as a driver.... but what if you SPAD'd a signal out in the middle of nowhere, are you to park your train up, tell the passengers there will be a long delay, and wait for a replacement driver to walk to you?
Or would you be told to drive to the next station (when it's safe to do so) and change over there?

• I agree 2

28 minutes ago, Gazz292 said:

but what if you SPAD'd a signal out in the middle of nowhere, are you to park your train up, tell the passengers there will be a long delay, and wait for a replacement driver to walk to you?
Or would you be told to drive to the next station (when it's safe to do so) and change over there?

Taxi and bus sent to collect the passengers, and your manager called out to ferry a relief driver out to relieve you of your duties. 

A SPAD is a SPAD, and the shiny jacket managers love those.  

• I agree 1

The closest feeling to how you are treated after a IRL misdemeanour as a driver, IS getting booted out of the server. 

I agree in Simrail context that 2 strikes is good. That will stop the "less enthusiastic" from playing GTA5 in this potentially amazing sim.

One for another thread though....

Edited by giBBer8
  • I agree 1

I *think* I noticed passengers waiting to take the train, when arriving, some would step on the yellow limit line, and as you pass, they will get back, kind of like real people do. I am not sure if that was really a behavior, but it seemed like it to me, quite realistic and fun. Maybe someone could confirm if it was real. I spend most of my time dispatching.

Am 30.12.2022 um 14:23 schrieb giBBer8:

Well, it should kick you out to be honest. TSW have it right in that regard. 

sometimes people dont do that on purpose 😮 i was myself in mind one time and register the red signal 300m before

• I agree 1

14 minutes ago, Fightdrug said:

sometimes people dont do that on purpose 😮 i was myself in mind one time and register the red signal 300m before

I definitely don't do it on purpose 😂 Sometimes my MP lags and  I can't brake until it's too  late 😒

• Haha 1

i read a post from someone recently saying that they like to drive at max speed and ignore signals, as when they pass a red it will teleport them back to just behind it!

this was supposed to be a way to get back on schedule if you're running late they thought!

obviously i think that if you are going to do that, why bother with a train driving simulator, go play need for speed or GTA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • I agree 1

vor 57 Minuten schrieb Gazz292:

i read a post from someone recently saying that they like to drive at max speed and ignore signals, as when they pass a red it will teleport them back to just behind it!

this was supposed to be a way to get back on schedule if you're running late they thought!

obviously i think that if you are going to do that, why bother with a train driving simulator, go play need for speed or GTA.

i remember one time at gora see a LTE that were driving 140 kmh it was so nice to see how he need to wait because he was so fast that he reach the train in front of him, the funny thing is he disconect a few km later because of that xD

1 godzinę temu, Gazz292 napisał(a):

So maybe huge points penalty should be added? Or even auto level down one notch?

I totally agree.  I feel bad for all those that actually try and the potential thinning of the heard.  By the sounds of it private servers are not going to be a thing.

My understanding and I should've replied to the API comments more and perhaps I will.  The servers I thought were Steam servers in various regions and the API only had access to reset and other functions.  Of course that's way above my head.

But assuming we can't get them, then I really hope some kind of penalty or enforcement of some kind of rule system is put into place.  Speeders have about 2 KHM allowance to go over before docking points.  Perhaps a point system can be used and the penalties for going through a red (at very slow speed, or fast speed) will depend on the penalty just like speeding.  Except red signals will cost you quite a bit more.  One could argue speeding to a certain extent should cost you however I would've derailed a train by now (by accident) as I missed some slow zones.

Thanks

Sean

• Like 1