TPV - Train Position System application

Hey all,

after few never-ending months of hard work, we can finally present you our TPV app. TPV stands for Train Position System app.

About the authors

The TPV was done by JachyHm (train driver in the Czech Republic) and Zdendaki (dispatcher). Last but not least, the testers helped a lot to make this project look better.

TPV in reality

Our TPV was inspired by reality, it's an important app in real life 🙂

CDP Prague

You can see the TPV app on the right monitor of the 4 monitors. Image from Wikipedia

About the app

It is a useful tool for more efficient organisation and management of rail traffic in the game.

The application currently consists of a client, server settings, online trains overview and train history service, while last three being private for the duration of testing and further improvements.

In the future, all the sections mentioned above will be open-source.

Application is currently localized into Czech, Polish and English language, with expectation to add further community translated languages once it will be fully open-source.

Download: https://tpv.zdendaki.net/TPV/DownloadTPV

image-10-2.thumb.png.730e5357b13504e0e7f206d0fcf665f0.png

image-9-3.thumb.png.9e3251866c4396cc84d136c75279c89e.png

We wish you a pleasant dispatching! 😉

Edited by Maty556677
Link fixed
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

🇬🇧 TPV client version 1.0.2

Fixes:

1. Correction of incorrectly indicated disapproval of train running

2. Correction of automatic application updates

3. Other minor bugs fix

The app should update itself for the current users

🇨🇿 TPV klient verze 1.0.2

Novinky:

1. Oprava nesprávně indikovaného nesouhlasu s jízdou vlaku

2. Oprava automatických aktualizací aplikace

3. Opravy dalších drobných chyb

Aplikace by se měla stávajícím uživatelům aktualizovat sama

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Sadly I was unable to get it working with proton on linux, will there be a linux port anytime?

As the GUI works under WPF, there won't be any native support for Linux, however some emulators might be able to run it.

All logic on both client and server side is written in .NET Core though, so there is possibility someone from community will eventually port it under another GUI framework in future.

• I agree 1

@Maty556677 Could you pass onto the developers, firstly my thanks and congratulations for this new version of TPV, it's certainly making my signalling and regulating of trains a hell of a lot easier.

Please can you also pass on that the overnight 54xxx trains never appear on the graph.

59 minutes ago, DazT said:

@Maty556677 Could you pass onto the developers, firstly my thanks and congratulations for this new version of TPV, it's certainly making my signalling and regulating of trains a hell of a lot easier.

Please can you also pass on that the overnight 54xxx trains never appear on the graph.

Thanks, and the info passed!

• Like 1

🇬🇧 TPV client version 1.0.3

Notes:

1. Fixed device recognition error for some users

2. Fix for some night trains not being displayed

3. Changed archive service settings

4. Option to display driver history

5. Other minor bug fixes

The app should update itself for the current users.

🇨🇿 TPV klient verze 1.0.3

Novinky:

1. Oprava chyby rozpoznání zařízení u některých uživatelů

2. Oprava zobrazování některých nočních vlaků

3. Změna nastavení archivační služby

4. Možnost zobrazení historie strojvedoucích

5. Další drobné opravy chyb

Aplikace by se měla stávajícím uživatelům aktualizovat sama.

• Like 3

@Maty556677 whilst using this I also found a bug, the 414xxx trains drive from Dąbrowa Górnicza Towarowa to Myszków where they despawn, however they then re-spawn in Żyrardów from where they drive to Warszawa Gł.Tow. but they are still marked as despawned in this second section.

Is there a way to make re-spawning trains not show up as despawned?

image.thumb.png.499e7d29440c951e3a23cf455db17b22.png

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, T_cave said:

Whilst using this I also found a bug, the 414xxx trains drive from Dąbrowa Górnicza Towarowa to Myszków where they despawn, however they then re-spawn in Żyrardów from where they drive to Warszawa Gł.Tow. but they are still marked as despawned in this second section.

I recall some issue with reactivating once despawned trains, but thought it was fixed 🫠😐

I will look into it, thanks for reporting 😉

• Thanks 1
  • I agree 1

TPV klient verze 1.1.0 Novinky:

1. Optimalizace vykreslování vlaků
  2. Opraveno obnovení smazaných vlaků
  3. Přidána stanice Dąbrowa Górnicza Ząbkowice GTB
  4. Vylepšena logika nesouhlasů s jízdou vlaku
  5. Vylepšeno zobrazování rozboru vlaku
  6. Opraven hit-test traťového panelu
  7. Oprava dalších drobných chyb

Aplikace by se měla stávajícím uživatelům aktualizovat sama

TPV client version 1.1.0 News:

1. Train rendering optimization
  2. Fixed restoring once deleted trains
  3. Added Dąbrowa Górnicza Ząbkowice GTB station
  4. Improved logic of train running disapproval
  5. Improved display of train analysis
  6. Fixed track panel hit-test
  7. Fixed other minor bugs

The app should update itself for the current users

• Like 1

Love it! I wish I could have a program to create train diagrams and that its interface/way of working would be simple as hell.😂 I do find JTrainGraph quite complicated. 😅

@JachyHm Would it be possible to have a button on the button bar to switch between "Live" mode and "Planned" mode (the latter just showing the timetable without any live data) and even an ability to then print that data?

• I agree 1

7 hours ago, DazT said:

@JachyHm Would it be possible to have a button on the button bar to switch between "Live" mode and "Planned" mode (the latter just showing the timetable without any live data) and even an ability to then print that data?

Probably no, it would be way too hard for such function.

I don't quite see why would you want to draw trains without any updates about them.

As of the print function, that would be probably quite easy to implement as the screen is bitmap already, but I assume you primarly wanted it to print "offline" timetable, so it won't make much sense anyways (and you can always use PrtScr).

Also keep in mind that the app mainly tries to imitate the real world one, although some functions had to be alter for use with SimRail.

1 hour ago, JachyHm said:

Probably no, it would be way too hard for such function.

I don't quite see why would you want to draw trains without any updates about them.

As of the print function, that would be probably quite easy to implement as the screen is bitmap already, but I assume you primarly wanted it to print "offline" timetable, so it won't make much sense anyways (and you can always use PrtScr).

Also keep in mind that the app mainly tries to imitate the real world one, although some functions had to be alter for use with SimRail.

The train geek in me wants to look at the current in-game timetable clashes for the planned timetable. Ironically it worked as such earlier when EN1 went down for 5 hours, so TPV still worked minus any train updates, so I've found one timetable clash alone (to be fair I already knew about the one I spotted)

I'm thinking more of when we get a new timetable so I can go back to the devs and say, this doesn't work, that doesn't work in the timetable.

Edited by DazT

On 7/18/2024 at 11:03 PM, Deadlost said:

Forgot password does not seem to work here. Nothing happens when clicking the link  (yes, my memory is no good...) 😄 

You will have to wait a white until implementing this function. We didn't think anyone would need it so soon. 😂

However you can contact us directly and we will reset your password by hand. 😅

Edited by Zdendaki
Added paragraph
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DazT said:

The train geek in me wants to look at the current in-game timetable clashes for the planned timetable. Ironically it worked as such earlier when EN1 went down for 5 hours, so TPV still worked minus any train updates, so I've found one timetable clash alone (to be fair I already knew about the one I spotted)

I'm thinking more of when we get a new timetable so I can go back to the devs and say, this doesn't work, that doesn't work in the timetable.

I don't think the amount of work on such a function would be proportional to the overall benefit. For the feature to make any sense at all, we would have to draw a panel for a whole day. That would require major changes to the application, and with a minimum of users taking advantage of such a feature. Never say never, but if we ever do something like this, it would only be as an SVG or PDF file and not as an app function.

• I agree 2

4 hours ago, DazT said:

Now that EN1 is completely dead at time of writing, are the plans to add the other servers to the dropdown menu at startup?

To TPV work correctly, each service must fetch API data approx. every 4 seconds. It also takes many DB space. When I want to avoid connectivity and performance issues, I have to provide data for most visited servers only. Only when some server becomes constantly visited by many people, I'll add them into TPV application. If EN1 won't start again soon, I'll switch that server to most attended running EN server.

Edited by Zdendaki
  • Like 1
  • I agree 2

Posted (edited)

TPV klient verze 1.1.1
Novinky:
1. Zobrazení nástupiště a koleje v okně detailu vlaku
2. Oprava zoomování osy stanic
3. V přihlašovacím okně seřazeny servery podle abecedy
4. Oprava chyby, kdy aplikace nemůže být aktualizována z důvodu rozdílné verze serveru
5. Opravy dalších drobných chyb

⚠️ Aplikace musí být na tuto verzi aktualizována ručně ⚠️ 

TPV client version 1.1.1
News:
1. Platform and track displayed in the train detail window
2. Fixed stations axis zooming
3. Alphabetized servers in the login window
4. Fixed a bug where the application could not be updated due to a different server version
5. Fixed other minor bugs

⚠️ Application must be manually updated to this version ⚠️

Edited by Maty556677