Train brakes improvement

I'm not 100% familiar with Polish environment, however, I believe the brakes operate the same way as in the rest of Europe.

It is far far away from reality, if you release the train brake and "2 seconds" later, 3000t 600m freight train is completely released. With such response, it is very likely an arcade game rather then a simulator.

I understand it is not easy to simulate that, however, it can be done (e.g. ORTS CZ/SK https://msts-rw.cz/openrails-icik-cz-sk-verzia/ ). If different levels of difficulty is required, I'm ok with that, but for realistic simulation it is necessary to include brakes model in the simulation.

• SIMRAIL Team

Hi, train brake simulation is based on my model, which is used more than 10 years in various simulators and games. However there is one big architectural difference between SimRail and other programs which may have caused that main brake pipe works in other way than in previous simulators. I'll check that.

3 godziny temu, paashi napisał(a):

It is far far away from reality, if you release the train brake and "2 seconds" later, 3000t 600m freight train is completely released.

Are you driving Dragon? This locomotive is running with brakes set to Passenger mode and you can't change that (at least now). It gives me a strange impression, that brakes are releasing almost immediately after setting brake handle to driving position.

On 6/5/2024 at 12:13 PM, Królik Uszasty said:

Hi, train brake simulation is based on my model, which is used more than 10 years in various simulators and games. However there is one big architectural difference between SimRail and other programs which may have caused that main brake pipe works in other way than in previous simulators. I'll check that.

Hi, I hope you're not talking about Dovetail games 😉 Anyway, if you have a chance, please do try a real world train driving. If you do a full braking (pressure down to 3.5bar) with 1500t or more, you'd get 10-15 seconds to full brake effect and approx. 3,5 minutes to release.

I'm more than ok if this is just a bug and if there is a chance for improvement. This is why the simulator is out for testing. Thank you for diving into that.

On 6/5/2024 at 12:43 PM, mluczak.kutno said:

Are you driving Dragon? This locomotive is running with brakes set to Passenger mode and you can't change that (at least now). It gives me a strange impression, that brakes are releasing almost immediately after setting brake handle to driving position.

Yes, it was the Dragon. I don't buy the "P" settings, it was more like an immediate effect. And with the current approach, the train should be set up correctly from the very start. 3000t train would be at least a combination of G and P (it varies among the train operators based on internal rules).

• I agree 1