Dedicated fun server

Regarding the recent train racing drama in the Discord server, why not just create a separate server for these sorts of things? Humans are humans, it's in our nature to do dumb things for entertainment, and this way all the shenanigans could be contained in one place instead of being spread out over the 30 odd servers and causing problems for everyone.

I personally don't have much experience with multiplayer, but in other games I've often found myself in pretty much a sandbox setting where I just hopped on a random train and drove it around without much care for time tables so I could take my mind off things. Yes, it's not realistic, but it's fun and that's what matters to me.

Edited by Džejk Em. Stýmpsn
Typos
  • I disagree 2
  • I agree 4

I am wondering what was discussed on Discord about train racing...?🤔 It truly saddens me to hear that some people associate SimRail with racing. 

It's all about cooperation with other drivers and signalers. Those who want to race are playing the wrong game.

• I agree 7

i think that every now and then SimRail gets a small number of kiddies people who buy it with no idea what a train driving and signalling simulator is (or do know and deliberately want to mess about) 

They don't care that other people are trying to drive and dispatch realistically on the server they try to take over, they just want to mess about, as to them their train is the only thing that exists / matters, they either don't realise or don't care that the servers have other people on them who bought SimRail with the intention of learning the routes and driving / dispatching properly. 

I remember another train driving game when it was released had people 'demanding' realistic crash physics !! 
it was pointed out that it's hard enough getting licences to use real train operators logo's and items in a game / simulator as it is.
add in people who want to just make youtube / tiktok video's of racing and crashing the trains with this licenced content showing is more likely to result in licence's being revoked and no new ones issued. 

There are people out there who can not tell when a video is of a game / computer simulation or real life, and they go into full on karren mode phoning the companies up to complain about the dangerous practices they've just 'witnessed' in some youyube / tiktok video that was posted to their knitting circle facebook group with the title 'OMG, just look at this dangerous train driving, glad i go everywhere by car' 

• Like 6
  • I agree 4

Don't know how many times I've said this, but I hope professionalism here as if we were playing Flight Simulator, anyone that wanna convert this simulator into a "DCC model railway" or do unrealistic things, should be shown the door. 

• I disagree 1
  • I agree 6

19 minutes ago, Kaito Kid said:

Don't know how many times I've said this, but I hope professionalism here as if we were playing Flight Simulator, anyone that wanna convert this simulator into a "DCC model railway" or do unrealistic things, should be shown the door. 

Exactly, 
There's plenty of train games out there that allow people to 'mess about' 

There's train games that allow you to :

Run it like a model railway.
Run a 'business' as if you decided to buy yourself a locomotive one day, and drive it from company to company asking to take goods down the line for a fee. 
Create unrealistic consists and drive about as if you owned the whole railway and it's your private playground.
Pretend you are a railway photographer and do nothing but set up screen shot after screen shot whilst your train trundles away driverless down the track.
Stop your train on the main tracks and jump out to search for soft toys, or walk the tracks looking for posters to 'put up' or signal phones to 'fix' to 'earn graphics of medals'
(who exactly is impressed that you've collected xxx number of gold medals in a train game anyway?) 

But when you want to drive a train in real time, realistically as if you were doing the job in real life (with some limitations of course), with other real people driving other trains on the line, and real dispatchers working together to keep those trains moving safely and on time, with good graphics, sounds, physics etc, well that's SimRail.

We are 3 months in and what we have is amazing and kinda unique.

• Like 5
  • I agree 7

On 3/27/2023 at 9:03 PM, Gazz292 said:

There's plenty of train games out there that allow people to 'mess about' 

While I do agree that SimRail's main focus is on realism, there honestly aren't that many alternatives. Neither TS Classic or TSW are capable of multiplayer, RO is based around American wild west with a limited map size, and Run8 only focuses on American freight (plus each line is a $40 DLC).

The only other feasible train game that comes to mind is Trainz, but that one is not only twice as expensive as SimRail, but also very poorly optimised.

• 3 months later...

I think private servers would be a good idea, look at the likes of FiveM and the roleplay servers on there, everyone who wants to play seriously (roleplay) would be able to without the issue of kids joining and ruining it.

There is already one similar server. It's called EU3 and it doesn't any moderation. You can do what you want.

/ EDIT: Sorry, I noticed that Morty just opened dead thread which is a few months old 🙄

Edited by TheFloxiCz