Train whistle when passengers have loaded

When the loading passengers countdown finishes it currently goes by rather uneventful and silently. In real life there are usually train conductors/guards notifying that the train is secure and ready for departure. The conductors in Poland seem to use train whistles, yellow flags, flashlights when dark, and radios to communicate readiness. I made an example to showcase what a simple train whistle could do in SimRail, and how it can add a little substance to the passenger loading:

From my understanding the collaboration between drivers and train crew is essential on a daily basis, and it's a missing feature in SimRail. The train whistle is the minimal implementation of a train crew member, but it can have more features added (roughly in order of implementation cost):

• Train whistle audio when passengers have loaded
  • Radio communication from train conductor with TTS after whistle blow
  • 3d models of train crew standing outside of the wagons watching over the passenger loading
  • Signalling animations with yellow flags and/or flashlights
  • Full simulation of train crew with persistence
  • Make train conducting a playable game mechanic (yes, it's getting a little ridiculous) 😄

YouTube References

Queries (in Polish)

Videos

Edited by weezzah
  • I agree 11

• 4 weeks later...

I guess it depends on the train type, but it would certainly add to the immersion. If you've tried the OMSI bus sim you'd know how much life the sounds can bring to a simulated vehicle 🙂

If we ever get an EN57 I'd love to hear sounds like the ones starting from time 3:45 in this video:

• Thanks 1
  • I agree 1