Add notches to brake when using keyboard

Hello! One of my biggest issue while driving is that I don't have a feel for what brakes I am applying currently. Also, I often find myself applying emergency brakes by mistake.

My suggestions would be:

• Make the brake "notched": instead of holding down the key to apply more brakes, make it so that we need to tap (let go of the key first) to go to the next level (or at least between states, meaning from disabled to fill to running to applied to emergency)
  • Make applying emergency brakes only possible by pressing a different key, not by using the brake key
Edited by hoppturee-
  • I disagree 1

Not sure if you mean for a specific loco or across the board, but for the EU07 I think the notch-less range between initial position and full service is quite fitting for a lever like this. But if there were to be notches in that range then maybe 20 notches or so, at least you'd have to have quite a few notches to allow fine tuning, since you don't have (in theory) infinite positions anymore.

To get a feel for the brake force application I try to visually get used to what the lever positions will give me in terms of pressure on the brake pressure gauge. Start out on the initial position, observe what that does to the speed, and tap in adjustments accordingly. Most importantly keep it simple and don't panic 😄

We already have shift plus&minus to put the throttle (in the EU07) between "notches". Maybe something similar can be done for the brakes?

And I fully agree that it is way too easy to slip into emergency braking on some locomotives.

• I agree 2

I wonder if it is a bug in EU07 that the lever all of a sudden goes emergency brake, even though you're using the [ 3 ] and [ 9 ] near the initial position. Of course, I can't seem to get it to trigger now.

Edit:

Okay, got it. So while having the lever in any position above the initial position, press and hold the [ 3 ] key. Doing so makes the handle go through all of the upper detents and quickly continue passed the braking range, and into emergency. This is probably by design to go quickly from zero braking to emergency braking.

This fast movement does not happen when in the initial to full service range. If you single press [ 6 ], then single press [ 3 ], you get to the initial position. From here you can press and hold [ 3 ], and it will NOT move fast into the emergency position. When in this range it will allow you to press and hold [ 3 ] and [ 9 ] as much as you'd like, as long as you stay below initial and at or above full service.

Now here's the thing about the braking range that is buggy: If you're in the braking range and unbrake with the [ 9 ] key until you get to the initial position, the next time you press and hold [ 3 ] it will quickly go into emergency. That is most likely what many do when they experience going-quickly-into-emergency-when-just-doing-simple-braking. And I'm not a fan it either 😉

Edit:

I will write a bug.

Edited by weezzah