Holding up early trains or not ?

Today I was playing at Zawiercie station and I was confronted with two freight trains from Lazy station and one of them was 20 minutes early and the other one was 65 minutes early. In this case, can you just put it aside on a storage track or do you just send it on to the next station? Personally, the way I do it is that if a player is driving the train, I let him go (no one wants to wait 60-70 minutes) but if Ai I usually put it aside for an empty track. Are there any rules for such cases ?

not really normaly you need to look if the train is a bot or a driver when its a bot you can let him wait to get him back in time but when its a player then it is normaly usefull to ask him if he wanna make a break or if he wanna just pass trough 🙂

• I agree 2

When I dispatch, if you're too early I stable the train whatever if it's player or not. Because if the player is too early, the IA signal boxes sometimes don't like it and we start to have traffic jam... and everything is stuck then. 

You can be -5 earlier but sometimes it's -65 earlier : I had it today at Zawerice... I stable the 644048 for 1h. By the way like in real life 🙂

• I disagree 4
  • I agree 1

24 minutes ago, metromar said:

When I dispatch, if you're too early I stable the train whatever if it's player or not. Because if the player is too early, the IA signal boxes sometimes don't like it and we start to have traffic jam... and everything is stuck then. 

You can be -5 earlier but sometimes it's -65 earlier : I had it today at Zawerice... I stable the 644048 for 1h. By the way like in real life 🙂

Like real life? I am driving cargo trains and we are having from 100 to 1000+min early time and delay time. Cargo train should be in his finish station as fast as they can.

Ofc it matters if for example final station like KM Staszic can take that train and if not he will wait in random station till free but for now we have only normal stations without ttains ending there so no need to hold player controlled train. I put bot cargo aside and if player wants to continue he just goes. No need to hold player train and make his gameplay boring. (Ofc ask him if he wants to wait or not)

Ps. Unpopular fact: AI can handle ahead trains. 99% of traffic jams are caused by players.

• I agree 10

I do the same, if the train is a bot I hold him in case anyone want to hop in it. If it is a player I ask him and clear him if he wants. Obviously always maintaining the order of operations. Letting people wait for long times is not fun.

And yeah AI handles it quite well.

4 hours ago, Záhorácká said:

Like real life? I am driving cargo trains and we are having from 100 to 1000+min early time and delay time. Cargo train should be in his finish station as fast as they can.

Ofc it matters if for example final station like KM Staszic can take that train and if not he will wait in random station till free but for now we have only normal stations without ttains ending there so no need to hold player controlled train. I put bot cargo aside and if player wants to continue he just goes. No need to hold player train and make his gameplay boring. (Ofc ask him if he wants to wait or not)

Ps. Unpopular fact: AI can handle ahead trains. 99% of traffic jams are caused by players.

Well not in France. It happens, but not a lot for the freight trains... I used to work at SNCF (French National Railways) 

But if you say that AI can handle it well now, I will let the trains pass if it's a player. Only imbeciles don't change when they make a mistake. 🙂 

• Like 3

So the rule of thumb is that if you got clear route and you don't expect anything of a higher priority to be disrupted, you can send a freight train ahead of time. Only passenger trains with scheduled commercial stops have to stop and wait until planned departure.

When dispatching trains you should prioritise the trains based on their category.
Express trains (4 digit numbers) > Commuter trains (5 digit numbers) > Freight and special trains (6 digit numbers). You also have to remember that freight trains are usually limited to 80 or 100 kph (Except LTE which is just a loco). 

So all you have to do is think what will happen if I will send this train now and then this one... Sometimes you have to stop slower train and let the quicker one to pass. Sometimes you just send it through etc.

• Like 3
  • I agree 1

So what about at SG for example?  I see it listed at a 17 minute layover in the schedule.  From what I can tell that is in play because of the traffic coming behind him that can overtake.  

The big question really is when is the next siding actually available.  I know some places like Lazy lc & Bedzin can handle it (oddly enough this is right before Bedzin which I find an odd place to hold at SG).

The issue I don't want is to have a freight limited to speed eventually slowing down much faster passengers because they can't find a siding to get out of the way.  I'm not sure how AI handles this situation.  As far as I know AI DOES NOT hold the freights at SG despite the schedule calling for it regardless of how early the train is.

Thanks

Sean

7 hours ago, SurvivorSean said:

So what about at SG for example?  I see it listed at a 17 minute layover in the schedule.  From what I can tell that is in play because of the traffic coming behind him that can overtake.  

The big question really is when is the next siding actually available.  I know some places like Lazy lc & Bedzin can handle it (oddly enough this is right before Bedzin which I find an odd place to hold at SG).

The issue I don't want is to have a freight limited to speed eventually slowing down much faster passengers because they can't find a siding to get out of the way.  I'm not sure how AI handles this situation.  As far as I know AI DOES NOT hold the freights at SG despite the schedule calling for it regardless of how early the train is.

Thanks

Sean

Yeah, exactly this is problem. 1000 points for not stopping in some stations that are AI controlled. If i have player controlled train coming i ask him if he wants to wait for those writen minutes or not. But ai doesnt care and frieghts should not have those points taken away.

11 hours ago, metromar said:

Well not in France. It happens, but not a lot for the freight trains... I used to work at SNCF (French National Railways) 

But if you say that AI can handle it well now, I will let the trains pass if it's a player. Only imbeciles don't change when they make a mistake. 🙂 

Im not saying you are making mistake. I saying what is normal here in Slovak which is similar to Poland. Every country have its differences so everything is counting. 🙂

And that last quote "Ps. Unpopular fact: AI can handle ahead trains. 99% of traffic jams are caused by players." wasnt meant to aim at you so everything cool 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SurvivorSean said:

Thanks

Sean

Będzin has 2 sidings that it can use to stop the train if it's needed but in most cases freight trains moving at 80kph can easily escape any trains that are chasing them due to large number of passenger stops for commuter trains. Then, the next opportunity is in Dąbrowa Górnicza Ząbkowice where trains also split to different lines. Finally, we got Zawiercie with massive freight yard where trains can wait to let faster services to overtake before continuing to Częstochowa. There is no need to stop the freight trains any further as they all split into different lines. And rarely there is a need to stop freight trains for 17 or 18 minutes as the timetable says. Dispatching is more complicated than just sending trains forward.

As for penalties for not stopping issued to freight train drivers, it is just a bug. Your only stop is the final destination of your train, anything in between is just a result of the traffic congestion.

Edited by FluffyAdmiral
  • I agree 3