AI blocking both tracks at double track stations with oncoming train on single track line

thenavvy

Today on EN1 there was a blockage at Sosnowiec Kazimierz.

42186 and 42936 were on the both tracks and 24933 came on the single line. Since both tracks were blocked by trains, 24933 could not enter, and both 42-trains could not exit because 24933 was blocking the line.

This has happened on other stations as well were everything is AI.
I think the problem is with the "Higher priority train"
It tries to let the TLK overtake the stopping train but well... everyone will stop there forever.

The way to solve this must be to not allow AI to put trains in the same direction on both tracks at a station like that. It needs to let one train stay on the line and then when first train leaves the next one can enter behind it.

At least as long as we cannot man the stations and solve it / prevent it as I think most dispatchers wont do that mistake.

image.png

16 hours ago, thenavvy said:

The way to solve this must be to not allow AI to put trains in the same direction on both tracks at a station like that. It needs to let one train stay on the line and then when first train leaves the next one can enter behind it.

Like I said on discord for this occasion and others as well, any train run from one valid stopping position to the next. Irrespective of whether it'll actually stop. A valid stopping position means any other train can pass.

Assuming 42936 entered the track Sosnowiec Kazimierz first with 42186 wanting to follow. Either 42186 would have been held at Sosnowiec Dańdówka because it could not reserve a path to Dąbrowa Górnicza Strzemieszyce (Sosnowiec Kazimierz has one track reserved for 42936 which makes the other not a valid stopping position) if 24933 already left to Sosnowiec Kazimierz (and thus holding a reserved path to SK). Or 24933 would not leave Dąbrowa Górnicza Strzemieszyce because 42186 has reserved a path from SD to DGS. This last one would also keep 42936 in place at SK (again because 42186 has reserved SK to DGS).

The current AI implementation does not look ahead. So 42186 is allowed to follow 42936 (or vica versa) without much further checks. I suspect it simply stops checking when it sees another train heading in the same direction. If so then this is bad.

Anyway at the end of the day overtakes such as 42186 over 42936 should certainly be possible for the AI to do. Otherwise we get interesting delays.

Is there a way to change the timetable so the TLK services (421xx) go over line 171 towards Wschodnia like the return journey already does? (241xx). This will solve the problems at Kazimierz almost always. At least untill a solution has been found for the issues on single tracks.
Just an idea obviously.

• I agree 1