Improvement for TrackIR, Tobii Eye Tracker and Other Head Tracking devices

17 hours ago, RealMiko said:

- More Options for Head Tracking in terms of speed rotation etc.. Just fine ajusting.

You can set it differently for every game in TrackIR.

- Disableing Zoom by Mouse wheel.

No, that's not good idea. When you want to look really far, you need mouse wheel.

-  Position Reset Button

Again, you can do it in TrackIR software with key ("center" option).

Edited by TheFloxiCz
  • Confused 1
  • I agree 2

is this tobii eye tracker the one that uses a device you clip to the top of the screen... like with TrackIr?  or does it use your webcam.

As i got a lenovo gaming laptop, and i kept getting messages when playing games that 'Tobii' app isnt configured correctly, and wants me to exit the game and download stuff,
i got fed up of it and removed the tobii stuff, but there's still lots of bits left over all over the registry and the 'tobii platform runtime' stuff keeps coming back in task manager.

Not sure i'd use an eye tracker as i have android tablets mounted each side of my laptops monitor, plus my phone in a holder, and i glance at the 'other screens' a lot, as i'll have the live map on one tablet, the signals cheat sheet on my phone, and a remote system monitor on the other tablet,
So it would be constantly panning the view about, where as with my TrackIr it's just when i move my head.

so... does it use your existing web cam,  or a plug in dongle jobbie that looks a little like a wii sensor bar?   as its the sensor bar thing i'm finding on google... and if thats that case it'd explain why it was nagging me on my laptop,

but if it uses your webcam, them,... dunno, i've never even used that, and have the 'privacy shutter' button on 'closed' all the time (which could explain why it was nagging me)

just to give some closure to my last post (sorry for taking the original topic off topic... this is kinda related... trying to get Tobii head tracking working in SimRail.... showing that having it work natively would be a great help).

turns out that having a lenovo legion 5 gen7 laptop means i get basic Tobii Horizon head tracking with the webcam (the legion 7 is needed for the eye tracking bit it seems) so no needing to buy the Tobii eye tracker 5 dongle.

So after lots of faffing about i got the Tobii stuff back on the laptop, seems that as i don't have the eye tracking bits available to me, there's no setup stuff to do on the 'Tobii experience'
no 'eye' icon to click to set up a new user etc, all i get is a 'game' button that tells me to launch the Tobii game hub.

Again no set up stuff in the game hub... and i didn't have any qualifying games on my laptop to test Tobii with (i bought this laptop to use with train driving sims)

So, for the grand price of £4.12, i bought ETS2 on steam (i actually have it on disc ... 'somewhere' having bought it when it came out to replace ETS 1)

Had a quick go on ETS 2, and after enabling the Tobii tracker, my webcam light comes on, and the in game view moves as i move my head... woohoo... no need to reflectors or IrLed's on a hat as with TrackIr.

i need to play with the settings, as i sit slightly to one side of the laptop, so the camera picks me up as looking to the right a bit, what i thought was the 'reset view' on 'F12' that im used to with TrackIr, just re-centres the view,

So, now i'm looking at getting FaceTrackNoIr V200 (costs €3.45) and seeing what it takes to 'trick' Tobii into working with SimRail  (why Tobii can't have the 'emulate mouse look' thing TrackIr has for non supported games i don't know,   maybe it does, but i have absolutely zero options to change anything about Tobii outside a game it seems 😞

Edited by Gazz292

2 hours ago, Gazz292 said:

just to give some closure to my last post (sorry for taking the original topic off topic... this is kinda related... trying to get Tobii head tracking working in SimRail.... showing that having it work natively would be a great help).

turns out that having a lenovo legion 5 gen7 laptop means i get basic Tobii Horizon head tracking with the webcam (the legion 7 is needed for the eye tracking bit it seems) so no needing to buy the Tobii eye tracker 5 dongle.

So after lots of faffing about i got the Tobii stuff back on the laptop, seems that as i don't have the eye tracking bits available to me, there's no setup stuff to do on the 'Tobii experience'
no 'eye' icon to click to set up a new user etc, all i get is a 'game' button that tells me to launch the Tobii game hub.

Again no set up stuff in the game hub... and i didn't have any qualifying games on my laptop to test Tobii with (i bought this laptop to use with train driving sims)

So, for the grand price of £4.12, i bought ETS2 on steam (i actually have it on disc ... 'somewhere' having bought it when it came out to replace ETS 1)

Had a quick go on ETS 2, and after enabling the Tobii tracker, my webcam light comes on, and the in game view moves as i move my head... woohoo... no need to reflectors or IrLed's on a hat as with TrackIr.

i need to play with the settings, as i sit slightly to one side of the laptop, so the camera picks me up as looking to the right a bit, what i thought was the 'reset view' on 'F12' that im used to with TrackIr, just re-centres the view,

So, now i'm looking at getting FaceTrackNoIr V200 (costs €3.45) and seeing what it takes to 'trick' Tobii into working with SimRail  (why Tobii can't have the 'emulate mouse look' thing TrackIr has for non supported games i don't know,   maybe it does, but i have absolutely zero options to change anything about Tobii outside a game it seems 😞

Tobii is not set in the program, it is only calibrated there. All settings are done in the game. Tobii works by infrared light. 1.FaceTrackNoIr V200 is a free program from the official site. 2. I'm not sure if it will work for you. You have a completely different technology ... you have to try it yourself.

• Thanks 2