Different servers depending on the immersion level

Hi !

On FR1 we agreed with SimRail France Discord players to make a little event where all three southern stations (Katowice, Sosnowiec, Bedzin) will run on one track only to simulate a major traffic disruption and spice up the gameplay.
We announced the event on the voice chat multiple times early on and most players were ok with it. But some players were understandably irritated by the event and we had to reopen some tracks to try to make everyone happy and enjoying the game.

After I had a chat with the players to understand what went wrong and what could be done in the future to make such events flow better there seems to be two solutions we have thinked of:

1- Community run servers: This would allow such events to be prepared and announced very early so everyone will know what to expect when they connect to the server and allowing the community to clearly set the vibe of the server they run., but afaik this will not be an option at release for technical limitations.

2- Have "Fun" and "Serious" servers: Some players are "Serious" meaning that they expect the MP session to work flawlessly and in regards to railwails operations. They often get annoyed at chatty dispatcher/drivers, are critical with such events and seek the most realism possible in their session (wich I understand). Orther players are more "Fun", they are enjoying the game more if its a relaxed experience overall and if drivers or dispatcher throw in made up incidents into the mix to break the habit of the normal gameplay and challenge the flow of operations.

I think such separation of concerns would be a great addition on release and will avoid some of the frictions on the community :)

• I agree 8

8 hours ago, DeadlyKungFu.Ninja said:

Hi !

On FR1 we agreed with SimRail France Discord players to make a little event where all three southern stations (Katowice, Sosnowiec, Bedzin) will run on one track only to simulate a major traffic disruption and spice up the gameplay.
We announced the event on the voice chat multiple times early on and most players were ok with it. But some players were understandably irritated by the event and we had to reopen some tracks to try to make everyone happy and enjoying the game.

After I had a chat with the players to understand what went wrong and what could be done in the future to make such events flow better there seems to be two solutions we have thinked of:

1- Community run servers: This would allow such events to be prepared and announced very early so everyone will know what to expect when they connect to the server and allowing the community to clearly set the vibe of the server they run., but afaik this will not be an option at release for technical limitations.

2- Have "Fun" and "Serious" servers: Some players are "Serious" meaning that they expect the MP session to work flawlessly and in regards to railwails operations. They often get annoyed at chatty dispatcher/drivers, are critical with such events and seek the most realism possible in their session (wich I understand). Orther players are more "Fun", they are enjoying the game more if its a relaxed experience overall and if drivers or dispatcher throw in made up incidents into the mix to break the habit of the normal gameplay and challenge the flow of operations.

I think such separation of concerns would be a great addition on release and will avoid some of the frictions on the community 🙂

The solution is in private servers, they will have all the freedom of action of cohesive players.

We discuss it here 🙂

• Like 1

Those people who want everything to run smoothly and 'realistically' would be better off driving in a single player train driving game where everything is scripted,

The thing i love about SimRails multiplayer is no 2 runs will ever be the same, just as it is in real life.

• Like 1
  • I agree 2

On 12/29/2022 at 10:52 AM, Loongeron said:

The solution is in private servers, they will have all the freedom of action of cohesive players.

We discuss it here 🙂

Thanks indeed, its better to keep it on one topic !

On 12/29/2022 at 2:50 PM, Gazz292 said:

Those people who want everything to run smoothly and 'realistically' would be better off driving in a single player train driving game where everything is scripted,

The thing i love about SimRails multiplayer is no 2 runs will ever be the same, just as it is in real life.

Yes I agree.

Thanks all for your insights 🙂