Option to disable aspect color

Skully

I'd echo this request. It's one thing that TSWs hud does well. I want to see how far things are away, but not the signal aspect until I see the lineside signal. At the moment I'm putting a blob of blutack on my screen to cover it up lol. 

The diesel railcar sim does it a little differently . It tells you how far away the signal is but doesn't show what aspect it is until you're closer. 

Edited by Bescot

I agree that I don't want to be spoiled by the upcoming signal, however is it prototypical?  In many North American units it is now, but it wasn't always and that is due to cab signalling.  I don't know if this exists in Poland.

Here is also one other thing to consider.  The speeds will often give away what routing you have coming up.  For example if you are set to take a switch the speed will show.  I had a dispatcher who kept throwing the switches back an forth (I believe it was AI) and I could see the speeds changing with them.  I do want to know the speed limits but not necessarily the signal speeds.

As far as I know with the expception of the clear 100 KMH flashing green there is no speed designated signal.  It's supposed to be up to the very qualified engineer (which is not me) to know the timetable and each switch I'm coming up to in advance.

Thanks

Sean

48 minutes ago, SurvivorSean said:

I agree that I don't want to be spoiled by the upcoming signal, however is it prototypical?

I would consider the distance to next signal info a simulation of route knowledge.  So having an option for just that info is a good bridging step between full HUD (distance and aspect) and no HUD for when you eventually have a good feel for the route.

48 minutes ago, SurvivorSean said:

As far as I know with the expception of the clear 100 KMH flashing green there is no speed designated signal.

I may be misunderstanding your comment, but there are signal aspects for Vmax, 100km/h, 60km/h, 40km/h, so all the info is there for running without the advance aspect HUD or speed limit warnings.

Maybe a further option for with/without advance speed limits would also be desirable for some.

• Like 1

The HUD bits that i'd like to have on would be:

Distance to next signal.

Speed limit changes ahead,  with the distance to them.

Current speed limit.

Distance to next stop or post / timing point.

The timetable / schedule (i'd turn it on and off to check it as needed)

------

I could then read the time i'm supposed to arrive at the station / post / timing point from the schedule / timetable.
And the loco's power level, current, speed etc, that's all there on the in cab gauges.. but turning that off turns off the current speed limit too... the one thing i struggle to remember.

Like others, i don't want to know the signal aspect ahead of me on the HUD, as i want to react to it as a real driver would,
if i've passed a single amber distant, i start braking ready to stop at the red signal that is next... if that signal changes 50 meters after i've passed the distant signal, i don't want to know until i sight the signal that's changed from red to another aspect, as that's how it is driving a real train without in cab signalling.

It would be really nice if we could move the HUD pieces around, so we can set up our personal preference of where the info is displayed, but i think that might be asking too much, as i can imagine it would be a lot of work and possibly break other things.

• Like 1
  • I agree 1

1 hour ago, Thistle Whistle said:
2 hours ago, SurvivorSean said:

As far as I know with the expception of the clear 100 KMH flashing green there is no speed designated signal.  It's supposed to be up to the very qualified engineer (which is not me) to know the timetable and each switch I'm coming up to in advance.

I may be misunderstanding your comment, but there are signal aspects for Vmax, 100km/h, 60km/h, 40km/h, so all the info is there for running without the advance aspect HUD or speed limit warnings.

Maybe a further option for with/without advance speed limits would also be desirable for some.

AFAIK https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_railway_signalling is pretty accurate.

A flashing green on an ABS signal doesn't carry a speed limit. I usually slow down to 100 km/h and let it ride down to 80 km/h.

• Like 1
  • I agree 1

I think you misunderstand Sean. What he means is for upcoming 100kmh speed limit there is flashing green light where flashing orange light means 60 OR 40kmh. So driver need to know where and when these signals will show 60 and where 40kmh. IRL dispatchers usually tell on radio on what track he will send a train so driver will know what to expect. Not to mention the W21 signs, which may additionally change speed limits.

That's correct (and i need to familiarize myself with some of the more restrictive aspects to get those speeds).  But I've been lazy because I just follow the speed shown coming up.

The issue of course still is the speed limits dependant on what track it takes.  Some lines are slower than others as well.  There are times the signal will not cover a slower track speed.

Another one of those pro can con situations.

Thanks

Sean

do the track speeds not show to you below the next signal aspect bit on the HUD?

i watch them when sat at a red light for a minute or 2, and i can see when the points / switches ahead of me are being moved to set up my route, as the speed limits ahead will change, as different routes are being set by each point / switch being moved.
Then they settle on the actual speed restrictions for the next few km along my route.

AFAIK european signalling is speed based, opposed to how UK signalling is route based and the driver should know the speed limits for all the routes he can be sent over.

Yeah I mentioned how they will change and basically give away route changes in advanced of an approach signal.

As for knowing the timetable if everyone is supposed to know this timetable by memory good luck.  It takes an experienced driver several trips with a trainee to get them custom to the variances and they still need to know by meory or reference what certain tracks less traveled are.

Thanks

Sean

15 hours ago, robert357 said:

I think you misunderstand Sean. What he means is for upcoming 100kmh speed limit there is flashing green light where flashing orange light means 60 OR 40kmh. So driver need to know where and when these signals will show 60 and where 40kmh. IRL dispatchers usually tell on radio on what track he will send a train so driver will know what to expect. Not to mention the W21 signs, which may additionally change speed limits.

Indeed I did misunderstand.

The flashing amber is, as you say, a distant warning of the speed restriction (either 40 or 60), but the following signal will tell you which one it is, so assuming you've got your speed down to around 60 - 50, then you'll be prepared to settle at the correct speed when the signal comes into view.  There's not a huge difference between 40 and 60km/h.

I think the 40 sections are more likely to be around stations/urban areas, and the 60 sections on the more rural areas, although that's a generalisation which is probably only partially true.