Loops at large to medium stations.

One thing that could be done to fix wrong routed AI that can't be turned around is to have it so at the stations like Sos, Lazy etc there is a track which goes off somewhere but does a loop and back. Effectively changing direction of train. I fell this would allow Ai Routed and Players Routed the wrong why to get back on correct routing if it's not going to be possible to tell AI to reverse or shunt forward or if it's a single hauled loco.

• I disagree 3

Might have to be an invisible track, and the train made invisible whilst it does this move, so as not to break the immersion, and that this is a realistic simulator as used for training of real drivers.

But there must be a procedure on the real railway for incorrect routing?

1 hour ago, ryan gregg said:

One thing that could be done to fix wrong routed AI that can't be turned around is to have it so at the stations like Sos, Lazy etc there is a track which goes off somewhere but does a loop and back. Effectively changing direction of train. I fell this would allow Ai Routed and Players Routed the wrong why to get back on correct routing if it's not going to be possible to tell AI to reverse or shunt forward or if it's a single hauled loco.

it's not a good idea, why introduce something that doesn't exist in reality

Isn't it better to introduce private servers ?  only let in the people you want and make a good community.

• Like 2

I keep banging the same drum. The game needs to tell the dispatcher and the driver at the point a train is routed wrongly, before it gets anywhere near causing an off path issue.

The same when people send trains via the shunting signals the wrong way, causing a conflict which is irreversible even by humans because AI cannot reverse back.

Edited by Bescot

So,

1. Make sure if wrong routing is present the train stops immediately at the first wrong signal and tell the live dispatcher the route is wrong and to correct it.

2. Allow dispatchers to give instructions to reverse, go forward slowly or stop to get them out of any mess. Or make the AI drivers a lot more intelligent so they can reverse if a dispatcher clears the route behind them. 

Edited by Bescot
  • I agree 1

Just despawning wrongly routed trains would solve 95% of the problems, as it happens now with derailments

I would like to have some emergency commands for ai too (like shunt/reverse/stop etc.) but I shudder thinking about what would happen in the wrong hands 

Also +1 for private servers

• I agree 4

Maybe advanced commands could be done by moderators until the game gets going. Then open them up to players with higher amount of points. They need to have points given/deducted for dispatch role first though to prove who is worthy of this godly power. 

• I agree 1

It would require the introduction of experienced administrators on the servers.

Ideally:
1.Option to create your own server
   And password protect the server.

2.Be able to create permissions for the server administrator

Main dispatchers
Secondary dispatchers

3.Being able to Ban bad players

4. Be able to restart only one station

Edited by Howky

I don't think private servers is a good idea.

In reality when is it you only have specific drivers and stuff. In Reality drivers change and you may interact with someone you have never interacted with before. Plus who would authorise the private server. Who would take the ownership of allowing people in etc.

@Bescot That's not a bad idea. Allow Dispatchers with a high enough level the ability to remove trains or command trains to reverse etc. That way there some ownership there and people who might  just want to mess around would be put off cause they would see well I want that but have to do all this work etc I won't bother. might go through there head.

@Gazz292 I think this is also a good idea, unless we can have the loco decouple and run around so we can get it back on track if it's gone in completely wrong direction if that makes sense. The loop idea was only because of the loco hauled they can't be uncoupled and ran around so ones there going completely wrong direction and wrong routed there done for.

Edited by ryan gregg

28 minutes ago, ryan gregg said:

I don't think private servers is a good idea.

Why? If I want to host my little pw protected server and play and coordinate only with people I know why I shouldn't I be able to do it?

Now I'm forced to go on a public server and risk being subjected to all the entropy in the universe, like 14yos that have no idea of what they're doing, signalboxes or trains that I like already occupied etc. etc.

It might be fun in way  but if you want to have a little group to play with it's a PITA. Simulators like DCS/Run8 allow them, as countless other games and I think it would be very short-sighted for the devs if they decide to stick to "public only" as they said in the past

• I agree 3

a lot of players are asking if there will be private servers.

Who would take care of that? The community of players who would create the private server.

It's exactly why players want it, I come to a server and a kid or an attendant who can't operate a station just ruins the game. and even the AI can't get it together sometimes.

• I agree 2

2 minutes ago, stronzio said:

Why? If I want to host my little pw protected server and play and coordinate only with people I know why I shouldn't I be able to do it?

Now I'm forced to go on a public server and risk being subjected to all the entropy in the universe, like 14yos that have no idea of what they're doing, signalboxes or trains that I like already occupied etc. etc.

It might be fun in way  but if you want to have a little group to play with it's a PITA. Simulators like DCS/Run8 allow them, as countless other games and I think it would be very short-sighted for the devs if they decide to stick to "public only" as they said in the past

@stronzio I don't dislike the idea, I think private servers are a separate thing that is more opinion of what people would prefer, quality of life kind of thing then something that would solve issues in the Sim.

My original post on this was to add loop type of idea to turn around wrong routed trains as a fix until we have available uncouple and couple and AI Command control. Another idea is not loop but a command to flip AI around when it's stops in a siding.

One big thing that we don't have here is someone sat with a main computer running the session that has tool privileges and I would think keeping them for devs only is the best idea else we'll have loads of train getting deleted cause someone thinks there stuck when there not it's just not been cleared to the other box. 

1 minute ago, Howky said:

a lot of players are asking if there will be private servers.

Who would take care of that? The community of players who would create the private server.

It's exactly why players want it, I come to a server and a kid or an attendant who can't operate a station just ruins the game. and even the AI can't get it together sometimes.

i disagree, Lazy LC was broke early and actually the AI Dispatcher fixed it and got stuff moving.

2 hours ago, Gazz292 said:

Might have to be an invisible track, and the train made invisible whilst it does this move, so as not to break the immersion, and that this is a realistic simulator as used for training of real drivers.

But there must be a procedure on the real railway for incorrect routing?

@Gazz292 So I've done a bit of digging. For UK routes if a train is going wrong way the driver must stop as soon as they find out. Contact dispatcher to see if they can reverse. There is something to do with Driver and Guard signing off and if Guard hasn't signed off the Reverse option would be done. If Driver and Guard sign off I think they can continue. 

The simple answer without getting a procedure from somewhere from what I've read is the train would reverse to a point where it can be righted onto the correct path. This can be done with Player controlled, the issue we have is AI controller trains we can't tell to reverse so yeah.

35 minutes ago, Skully said:

Bear in mind reversing can also include running around the locomotive or using another one.

I don't unrealistic options like an extra loop, let alone invisible track.

I was thinking for the short term, it might be the best option. Then when they have something more realistic get rid of the loop and put in the long term solution.

20 minutes ago, SurvivorSean said:

If I understand correctly they are working on a way to prevent wrong exits.  The other methods are probably much more complicated.

Thanks

Sean

From what I've seen there is one fix already, if it's a Bot and in AI Dispatcher area and off path so can't get to destination it'll despawn. The issue we have I think is when it's Bot Train but controlled Box then it gets messy cause I don't think they depsawn. they just sit there.

Only taking what I've seen from discord chat etc here.