Idea Expansion of the multiplayer (long-term motivation)

It's a great game, but I think it lacks something in terms of long-term motivation. In the main menu there is this locomotive shed, which is still grayed out. So I thought, wouldn't it make sense to use the levels you get for completing a scenario to buy trains on your own in the future? For example, the small railcar can be unlocked at level 30 and the Pendolino at level 80 or similar. Wouldn't that be better, since it would give you another incentive to play the game much longer? So you could, when you have unlocked a train, choose a starting point for example Dabrowa Gornizca Zabkowice and then an order for example from Zabkowice to Warsaw. Then you could start on a siding in the case in Zabkowice and the dispatcher could then guide you into the station. When you have completed the job, you could then accept the next job. What do you think of this idea? Maybe it would be also good if you stand for example at a platform and there is a train from the AI, that you can either get on as a passenger until the end of the journey or that you could take over the train. Since I do not know the English translation of some difficult words, I have typed this into a translator, I hope it is understandable.

Edited by Timato69
  • I disagree 3
  • Confused 3
  • I agree 1

• SIMRAIL Team

Sir, this is a simulator. Train drivers don't buy their trains, they hope they get authorised for the newer ones. As for the ability to ride on AI-operated train, the passenger mode is planned.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • I agree 4

so, basically you want to turn one of the best train driving and signalling multiplayer simulators we have seen so far, into a railway company management game.

If you need this kind of incentive to keep playing, then maybe SimRail isn't for you,  something like train fever, train valley, railroad tycoon, locomotion etc would be better.

Edited by Gazz292
  • I agree 6

W dniu 8.10.2023 o 13:50, GoppelPL napisał(a):

As for the ability to ride on AI-operated train, the passenger mode is planned.

So passenger mode is not planned for player-operated trains? If i will want to be a passenger, i can enter only AI trains?

hopefully, 
it's bad enough when you get another driver or the dispatcher trying to get in your cab at a station, or jumping on the roof or standing in the track infront of you refusing to move etc, 

But to have other players sat in your train whilst you drive, that's just weird, i just hope riding players do not take up drivers slots, and does not affect the way the sim works, i.e. we already get a lag when another players train loads in, then the rubber banding of the other train sometimes as their ping rate is different to mine, 

• I agree 2

vor 21 Minuten schrieb Gazz292:

hopefully, 
it's bad enough when you get another driver or the dispatcher trying to get in your cab at a station, or jumping on the roof or standing in the track infront of you refusing to move etc, 

But to have other players sat in your train whilst you drive, that's just weird, i just hope riding players do not take up drivers slots, and does not affect the way the sim works, i.e. we already get a lag when another players train loads in, then the rubber banding of the other train sometimes as their ping rate is different to mine, 

yeah i know what you mean that was one reason i drive on EU2 😕 for me its just anoying when other players just jump infront of you like idiots.

i dont have something against players in the train as long they cant enter forbitten areas passengers are not allowed like as exemple by the Pentolino the area between cabin and passenger area you know were the doors are 🙂

Hopefully the emergency stop handles are not working in the carriages... or maybe have them working, but pulling one kicks them from the server. 

i'd imagine they will be able to open and close the carriage doors, and there's something put in place to stop them trying to delay the train by constantly opening a door so you can't lock them.... on the elf's and pendo's, 

• Haha 2

vor 26 Minuten schrieb Gazz292:

Hopefully the emergency stop handles are not working in the carriages... or maybe have them working, but pulling one kicks them from the server. 

i'd imagine they will be able to open and close the carriage doors, and there's something put in place to stop them trying to delay the train by constantly opening a door so you can't lock them.... on the elf's and pendo's, 

that would be something you pull the emergency breaks and get banned for 3 days ( jail ) xD

• Haha 2
  • I agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
Am 8.10.2023 um 18:09 schrieb Gazz292:

so, basically you want to turn one of the best train driving and signalling multiplayer simulators we have seen so far, into a railway company management game.

If you need this kind of incentive to keep playing, then maybe SimRail isn't for you,  something like train fever, train valley, railroad tycoon, locomotion etc would be better.

i mean, we have something like the leveling of our account/character or something. What should the usage of this level? Sorry, my english is bad 

in SimRail the level system is there mostly to stop someone new to the simulator taking over a complex dispatcher post and bringing a multiplayer server to a standstill because they do not know what to do, 

So they have work so many hours at a lower level dispatcher post before they can progress to the more difficult ones, 

This is how it is in real life, you can't start your career as a dispatcher and expect to be in charge of the most complex and highly paid dispatcher post on day 1. 

With driving, again, at the beginning of your career you would not be given a 200 km/h pendolino service to drive,
you may get a short slow local stopping service to drive under supervision (and before that, you'd have learnt the basics on the simulator... which SimKol, the parent company of SimRail makes, of which we using a slightly more user friendly version) 

You would work your way up the career ladder, but at no time do you need to worry about making money and buying your own trains, dispatcher posts or track etc, that stuff is for the managers of the railway to worry about, and they usually sit in their offices or go to meetings whilst we drive the trains or work the dispatcher posts for them.

• I agree 2

• 3 weeks later...

While I do agree with your point that new players should be restricted to easier/less important tasks when they start playing, your claim that it works exactly like that in reality is … not really true. Maybe in the UK it is, I don’t know; but in Germany it definitely isn’t.

Signallers always need extra training for the interlocking technology and type they’re working with and for the specific post they’re on. This goes for experienced and new employees alike. Why expend the extra effort to re-train signallers when you could simply train them in the locations and positions where they’re needed in the first place? (Retraining and reassignment still happens, of course. But not generally for this reason.)

And looking on the driving side: intercity and regional trains are operated by different companies. What vehicles should an apprentice at DB Fernverkehr be trained for, if not IC or ICE rolling stock? And when they’ve completed training, what trains should they be driving, if not exactly the ones they were trained for?

Apart from the organisational barrier, driving regional transport needs different skills than intercity, too. Most local trains have no conductor, so as a driver you’re on your own with handling passengers and with fixing technical problems if they arise. Plus the schedules are usually much tighter, making it more difficult to be punctual.

• I agree 2

yeah, it's sort of how i've read about how things used to be done in the UK, 

They have / had 'grades' or 'links'  

a new signaller would be assigned to a signalbox to learn the ropes, then when ready to do the job on their own would be given the lowest grade of signal box (lowest for both pay and difficulty of the job)  and then work their way up to the hardest most highly paid box on the system they are working for. 

Nowadays with a few large signalling centres that control the entire region, they'd still start at the lower grades (do they still have the 'tea boy' position?) and work up to be managers in charge of all the signalling centres in the region, but not on day 1 of their career. 

A driver would get training, then go into the lowest 'link' to gain experience driving (or being a second man) on short local runs,  and slowly work their way up the 'links' until one day, likely 20 years later they are driving the 'best train' on the system.