increase range of the high beam light

6 minutes ago, DazT said:

I do agree though that the speed commencement and termination signs are a little on the small side! (Even if they are prototypical!)

The W9 signs are bloody tiny, 
but even the hectometer boards are small compared to German ones... BUT this is based on driving German routes in tsw and railworks / train sim classic,  where the hectometer boards can be read at 160 km/h with ease... so i dont know if they have been made artificially larger in those sims, 

I know SimRail is trying to match real life.

• I agree 1

9 minutes ago, Gazz292 said:

The W9 signs are bloody tiny, 
but even the hectometer boards are small compared to German ones... BUT this is based on driving German routes in tsw and railworks / train sim classic,  where the hectometer boards can be read at 160 km/h with ease... so i dont know if they have been made artificially larger in those sims, 

I know SimRail is trying to match real life.

Never mind that they're small, but they're not readable, even in 4K.

19 minutes ago, lDestinyl said:

Never mind that they're small, but they're not readable, even in 4K.

Are you talking about the hectometer boards,  or the W9 / W14 signs here? 

I find the hectometer boards just about readable until i'm going over 100 km/h, then they seem to jump as if frame skipping, hence i need to zoom in to read them at speed.

But this is at 2k on a 16 inch laptop screen, if i ran 4 k on such a small screen then everything would be half the size i see it at, 

11 minutes ago, Gazz292 said:

Are you talking about the hectometer boards,  or the W9 / W14 signs here? 

I find the hectometer boards just about readable until i'm going over 100 km/h, then they seem to jump as if frame skipping, hence i need to zoom in to read them at speed.

But this is at 2k on a 16 inch laptop screen, if i ran 4 k on such a small screen then everything would be half the size i see it at, 

I can see them at that distance, which I don't think is enough (read the first one). I can't read the signals at night with EU 07/08. 

1422130_20230416193812_1.png

Ahhhh.  i can see you have your FOV pulled right back, or is that an ultrawide monitor?

I set my in cab FOV to 55 degrees (stock is 60 degrees)

I prefer to 'sit' closer to the wheel/screen, so it makes everything a little larger for my view, i'm using a 16 inch 16:10 screen. 

image.thumb.png.121e2c62cbe8b834cac534fdf778248a.png

7 minutes ago, Gazz292 said:

Ahhhh.  i can see you have your FOV pulled right back, or is that an ultrawide monitor?

I set my in cab FOV to 55 degrees (stock is 60 degrees)

I prefer to 'sit' closer to the wheel/screen, so it makes everything a little larger for my view, i'm using a 16 inch 16:10 screen. 

image.thumb.png.121e2c62cbe8b834cac534fdf778248a.png

It's more convenient for me on TrackIR.

gotya... i'm not being an arse, genuinely trying to figure things out.... someone might post something like 'hey, i changed this setting and it makes things a lot easier to read for me' 

i originally chose 53 degrees so i was closer to the hassler tachograph, as i drive with the HUD off so need to be able to see what speed i'm doing by being able to what number the needle's wavering over (worse in the EP08 as the numbers are smaller to accommodate the higher top speed)

it was one of your posts that showed me that i could use my Tobii enabled webcam in my laptop in Simrail, that is a big game changer being able to move the view about just by moving your head / eyes (Tobii - FaceTrackNoIr - TrackIr in SimRail)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazz292 said:

gotya... i'm not being an arse, genuinely trying to figure things out.... someone might post something like 'hey, i changed this setting and it makes things a lot easier to read for me' 

i originally chose 53 degrees so i was closer to the hassler tachograph, as i drive with the HUD off so need to be able to see what speed i'm doing by being able to what number the needle's wavering over (worse in the EP08 as the numbers are smaller to accommodate the higher top speed)

it was one of your posts that showed me that i could use my Tobii enabled webcam in my laptop in Simrail, that is a big game changer being able to move the view about just by moving your head / eyes (Tobii - FaceTrackNoIr - TrackIr in SimRail)

I'm 65 in the cab and 60 outside. 100km/h in EP 07 and I don't read any signals. 😄 That's why I use the HUD.

Last night i pulled into a station in the EP08, and there was an elf on the platform next to me, 
I could really see that the elfs headlights were way brighter than mine, which is what i'd expect... modern LED / HID lights Vs 50+ year old 'paint bucket' reflectors with halogen bulbs (just imagine how dim the lights would have been with plain old tungsten bulbs from the 60's)

But doesn't this show the headlights on the modern train being more like what the original poster wanted?   they were comparing a 1960's train headlights with a modern car's headlights. 

image.thumb.png.5c972f0df4d8dc231be98104466aa51a.png

One of the great things about SimRail Vs other train games, there are actual Polish train drivers working on Simrail who drive these trains every day, so they know exactly what it should look and feel like driving these trains, which is way better than a certain other train game which said they use cab ride videos and photographs to make the trains in their game.

• I agree 2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Gazz292:

Last night i pulled into a station in the EP08, and there was an elf on the platform next to me, 
I could really see that the elfs headlights were way brighter than mine, which is what i'd expect... modern LED / HID lights Vs 50+ year old 'paint bucket' reflectors with halogen bulbs (just imagine how dim the lights would have been with plain old tungsten bulbs from the 60's)

But doesn't this show the headlights on the modern train being more like what the original poster wanted?   they were comparing a 1960's train headlights with a modern car's headlights. 

image.thumb.png.5c972f0df4d8dc231be98104466aa51a.png

One of the great things about SimRail Vs other train games, there are actual Polish train drivers working on Simrail who drive these trains every day, so they know exactly what it should look and feel like driving these trains, which is way better than a certain other train game which said they use cab ride videos and photographs to make the trains in their game.

Yes you are right. the headlights of the newer trains are brighter but dont really shine further. 

Maybe im wrong. Im not a train driver but I just would have thought the highbeams would shine further just like in the video of destiny

image.thumb.jpeg.afa7c8e6a0bbf9eb81545df2aa2544ec.jpeg

I think it could be limitations of the game engine for how far a light source can illuminate ahead. 

but one thing i notice from night time cab ride videos, everything always looks brighter on a camera, the camera will go into low light mode to try and compensate for the overall darkness, but if you notice when the camera looks at the cab gauges, they are really over bright and piercing... they would be painful to look at due to how bright they seem in the video, and if they were that bright in real life, the drivers night vision would be gone every time they looked at the gauges / screens then back out the windscreen.

:

Digital video does weird things like that, another thing is due to the way the cameras rolling shutter works, you will see the PWM (pulse width modulation) of lights and displays, this makes them appear to flash on and off, digits to seem to flicker, and signal lights appear to slowly flash on and off (and actually flashing signals can appear to flash faster than they really do)  

This is because the human eye has persistence of vision, so rapidly pulsing light source and multiplexed displays are 'evened out' by our eyes,
modern electronics flash lights on and off rapidly to dim them, and multiplexing of displays is a way to use less components and wires, as they can send the data to each part of the display in a sequence, and our eyes won't notice the pulsing of this happening due to persistence of vision, but a camera does... and causes weird effects when the shutter and pulse frequencies do not match.

__

Another thing about most cameras, they can see infrared light that our eyes can't, you can prove this easily... put your phone in camera mode and point your TV remove at the lens, press a button and you should see a dull red pulsing... that's the infra red LED sending the coded signal to the TV to do whatever button you are holding down, but you can not see this light with you naked eyes, 
The camera can as it's sensitive to more light wavelengths than our eyes are (this is assuming your TV's remote is an infrared type, and not a bluetooth one)

• Like 1